It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Authorities Arrest Men With NYC Maps, Video

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Five Egyptian men were arrested and are facing deportation after a tip, which led New Jersey police to search their location. There they found subway maps of New York city, videos of New York landmarks and $8000 in cash. The men cooperated with the search and all claim to be unemployed civil and chemical engineers. Authorities say there are no definitive connections to any known terrorist groups.

abcnews.go.com
The men were identified as: Karim Ahmed Abdel Latif Ahmed, 21; his brother Mahoud Ahmed Abdel Latif Ahmed, 19; Ahmed Mohamed Atta, 30; Mohamed Ibrahim Gaber, 34, and Mohamed Palat Anwar Jozain. When Newark authorities converged at the group's location at 246 Ferry St., Karim Ahmed answered the door and agreed to allow police to enter. Officers said they noticed the maps, and video cameras and Karim and his brother agreed to a search.

Karim said he had the maps because he had a new job as a street vendor. Initially, Karim said no one else was in the apartment, but police came upon the three other men upon further search.

FBI officials said the men have no known link to a terror network but noted that none of them could adequately explain the items they had in their possession, the large amount of money or their reasons for being in the United States. Mohamed Ibrahim Gaber has been a fugitive since he jumped ship from an Egyptian flagged freighter in September 2000.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a strange story, and the circumstances surrounding these men seems very suspicious. Not having any reasons for being in the U.S and the fact that they seemingly may have been scouting locations definitely will keep them under the terror suspect umbrella. Regardless if they were innocent or not in a potential terrorist plot, the fact that they were all illegally in the U.S. is enough to have them detained and deported.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I heard about this -- at first they thought the guy named Atta could have been related to Mohammed Atta who led the 9/11 attacks, but they're saying no now.

I hope they will be able to thoroughly question these people before they're deported, it sounds really fishy.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Five Egyptian men were arrested and are facing deportation after a tip, which led New Jersey police to search their location.

this was what makes me suspitious. If it was just a random police action, like getting a traffic ticket or something that somehow led to it, i wouldnt be suspitious, yet.
A tip-off though arouses my suspition about who tiiped them off how were they involved and why did they tip the police.

also videos of landmarks is not very worrying, how could they actually be used for any practical purpose?
The subway maps are interesting.

[edit on 27-7-2005 by AdamJ]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Wow. They just prevented a major terrorist attack on NYC subways. Hopefully thats the entire active portion of the group. Thats just incredible. Remarkable. Good to see that the authorities are continuing to be able to stop these attacks.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Wow. They just prevented a major terrorist attack on NYC subways. Hopefully thats the entire active portion of the group. Thats just incredible. Remarkable. Good to see that the authorities are continuing to be able to stop these attacks.

You mean the prevented a potential major attack... As suspicious as it seems there is no indication they were actually going to do anything... they could be tourists for all we know...

But its good to see law enformence officials are being diligent in following any leads, as obscure as they may be.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Tourists usually spend their money after taking videos and getting their subway maps. Obviously not something that would stand up in court, but having 8,000 dollars on hand and already having been to NYC for a vacation, well, I think we can read between the lines.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Hmmm they could very well be terrorists then again they just be tourists. Who are we to dictate how a tourist behaves. This action is exactly what the terrorists want you to do. Treating people as criminals based on anonymous tips and very circumstancial evidence. Where's the explosives ? Where is the forensic evidence of explosives being handled etc.

If they were white europeans there would have been outcry at their treatment.....wouldn't there !

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
They obviously weren't tourists, and they didn't claim to be.

They had been in the U.S. illegally for a while and claimed to be unemployed engineers who recently got jobs street vending...

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Am I the only one here that noticed it really strange ALL men had "Ahmed" or "Mohamed" in their name? What's the chances of that? It it really that common that almost all people of their ethnicity have either of those two names in their full name?

That's like finding a 4 guys living together all with "Bob" and/or "John" in their names.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Hmmm, subway maps and cash. Very fishy. It looks like the authorites have managed to possibly prevent some potential terrorists from maybe causing some more destruction at some unspecifed point in the future, maybe.

I feel safer now.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
Am I the only one here that noticed it really strange ALL men had "Ahmed" or "Mohamed" in their name? What's the chances of that? It it really that common that almost all people of their ethnicity have either of those two names in their full name?

Exactly what I Find Fish in this Story too - but you have beaten me to it.

Sounds like a Scenario from a C-Production Action Movie - Delta Force XII: The Return to New York.

I hope you guys are not Buying Everything they are selling to you!

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
The tip of may have happened because New Yorkers were recently asked again to be vigilant and report suspicious activities such as this and also unattended bags, etc. Just happened to catch that on the news last week.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
You have got to give whoever tipped the police off some credit here. They are responding as asked by authorities to be vigilant.

I know if I spotted one two or three even more individuals taking videos of my metro area, I would report them in a heart beat especially if they looked like they islamics.

One has to keep in mind that the majority of the terrorists are all between age 19 and 30. Time for more racial profiling if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Had it not been for the fact that four of these men are illegal immigrants and one a fugitive, I'd think this was a bizarre case with nothing to stand on.......

However - The addition of that information certainly adds a different perspective to the subway maps and the video footage - The $8K....Well - Who really knows....

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I guess you people tend to forget that suicide bombers hit the UK twice in said months, with arrests and a story unfolding like a Clancy novel. This is not bs.

Unemployed 'engineers' with $8000 cash, subway maps and videos of landmarks in the country illegally no less??? Folks, that sounds likea recipe for terror. Throw in a dash of C-4 and a few pre-paid phone cards and you have a rush hour to remember. These guys were also arrested across the birdge in NJ if I am reading this correctly. I would love to know the reason for the warrant.

Vigilance and racial profiling are needed right now in America.
to the law enforcement officials.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
Vigilance and racial profiling are needed right now in America.
to the law enforcement officials.

Yeah - I'll take my coffee with sugar and cream....Oh, and hold the racial profiling please - It gives me an upset stomach.....

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Racial profiling, huh??

Are you stating that you should not ask arab man rather than a 62 y/o grandma in a airline screening line to step aside?

Should you not pull over 3 young 'white' kids in a car at 2 in the morning in a predominatley urban drug neighborhood and ask what they are doing?

Act on a tip about 4 arab men in NJ who have lots of cash and are unemployed with expired visas?

Political correctness will destroy this country from the inside out. Sorry if I sound like David Duke, but I am more like Dennis Leary.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This was not racial profiling. The Police acted on a "TIP". They didn't do the racial profiling. That's important... a tip...someone was paying attention to these guys long before the police knew of their existence. Someone had to have noticed something odd about these men leading to the tip.

and regardless if they are terrorists or not, people who enter this country illegally deserve deportation.

[edit on 7-28-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
There's a difference between being "politically correct" and being naive....Neither of which I claim to be, nor do I label unto others...

Now there's an interesting word - Label - To append or classify....

I guess you could say a lot of us could be labeled Conspiracy Theorists for being drawn to this website - Now does that mean that we never go to sleep or don't take showers b/c we think the water's contaminated?

Of course not....But those may be just a few of the negatives that come to mind when someone says that phrase....

It's part of our brain's wiring to link all words and phrases to events or images that we've experienced in this life - I say "apple" - You see an apple, you taste an apple....Some people may see an orange - I can't help ya there - You've got problems....You're "creative"...You're "special"

But it's precisely that difference....That mindset that some people have that needs to change - If I say "Middle Easterner" and you think WMDs.....Well - That's like the apples and oranges example......

Sure, you can think what ya want - I'm not gonna be sad that every time you see apples you're really seeing oranges - Big deal - Buy a juicer...

The problem comes along when it becomes the corrupt vision of an inadequate government and a blood-thirsty media.....

There's a special quote I have reserved just for such situations.....Couldn't come from a more potent source - If it doesn't make people question the world they're living in, then I say they must not be living in it....

"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. Subject opinions to coercion. Whom will you make your inquisitors? Fallible men; men governed by bad passions, by private as well as public reasons. And why subject it to coercion? To produce uniformity. But is uniformity desirable? No more than of face and stature. Introduce the bed of Procrustes then, and as there is a danger that the large men may beat the small, make us all of a size, by lopping the former and stretching the latter." Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1782

I dunno - We are all the judges of our own thoughts and actions - I just see things a little differently I guess....

[edit on 7/28/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
My, my, my I better go now running to my car and dispoused of all the maps and atlas I have of Georgia and other state I happen to go for visits, and heck I pay 60 dollars for a detail atlas book on the entire US.

Better do it fast.

Wait, I am hispanic perhaps that will mean I am not terrorist material, Right?

If they were planning something well good for the authorities that got to them early.

But if they are like many people that travel to cities with maps because you can get lost if you don't know where you are going like me, then beware.

Never, never used your maps in public, and buy them in your home town and not in an unknown store, you may become a "suspicious target"

This bring memories of my cousins and me got lost in New York subways, when we were teens I was fourteen at the time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join