It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'No Fly List'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I was just reading an article at MSNBC.com titled 'Faces of the No Fly List', and some of the statements being made in the article about the TSA's no fly list is leaving me with a very worried feeling.

I understand that we need to have some way to monitor those that may actually be a potential threat to inocent persons, but I am really worried that maybe the TSA is going a little to far.

For example, if you are placed on the No Fly list (which means you can't fly) or the Selectee List (which means you can fly, but only after it is verified that you are who you say you are), in order to be removed, you have to contact the TSA and provide, apperantly, quite a bit of info. However, at the end, you have to indicate that you provided the information voluntarily

there’s a place to sign indicating that the information provided is being ‘voluntarily given’ which isn’t quite true because you have to submit it if you want to get off the list.”

(www.msnbc.msn.com...)

Also, if you are successful at getting your case reviewed by the TSA, they send a 'Clearance Letter'. But at the bottom of the letter:

at the bottom of the letter--which is written on nothing more official than standard TSA letterhead--in a big highlighted box and in bold capital letters, the text calls attention to "airline personnel and law enforcement officers" noting "Please compare the personal identification documents presented to you by the individual with the information contained in a TSA watch list."

So, it seems that once you are on the list, you can't get your name removed, even though the TSA makes it seem as though you have been successful at getting your name removed. Will the list eventually include everyone?

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I am concerned about these lists as well. Who is regulating them?

Here's a story I found quite disturbing. This is not a case of mistaken identity.

Who's Watching the Watch List?

My name is on a list of real and suspected enemies of the state and I can't find out what I'm accused of or why, let alone defend myself.
Frowning, she told me that my name was on the national terrorist No Fly Watch List and that I had to be specially cleared to board a plane. Any plane. Then she disappeared with my license for 10 minutes, returning with a boarding pass and a written notice from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) confirming that my name was on a list of persons "who posed, or were suspected of posing, a threat to civil aviation or national security."

No one could tell me more than that. The computer was certain.
According to a recent MSNBC piece, thousands of Americans are having similar experiences.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This same thing happened to a friend of mine. He still doesn't know why he was on the list.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I wonder what they base their list on, what is considered dangerous to national security? I think its good that they are trying to look for new ways to protect people, but not like this. It also seems like a lot of focus is being given to airlines, when the next big terrorist attack will probabaly be against a large population center or public area, like the UK.

Who knows though.

top topics

join