It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The civilized way to beat your children?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I never thought I was gonna have to spank my daughter (who is now 18), until she became aware of the following fact:

The end of a butter knife is roughly the same shape and size of an electrical outlet.

From then on, I spanked when it became necessary. Only on the bottom, and never hard enough to leave a mark or welt.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I agree with Gazrok here....
All the kids growing up today pretty much don't even have a clue to what parental discipline is! Getting grounded? Oh boy.... Getting a little 'smack' on the hand or cheeck? Oh boy..... Time out? Oh boy..... Take your allowance money? Oh boy.....
Bunch of spoiled azz #z......!
Lets see.....my father used a belt.
My mother used the good ole', "I'll send you to 'talk' with your father if you persist."
My grandfather....all 6'8" of him used his hand....
My grandmother's favorite was "Go outside and get a switch and make sure it won't break when I use it."
The schools I went to used the ruler, the hand, the paddle board, etc.

You little smart mouth 'kids' have no freakin' clue to what parental discipline is! And to be honest, those of us that do know what parental discipline is are the "better" for it!

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   
My mom used to spank us (i have a brother and a sister) but we learned to clench our ass muscles so it didn't hurt. The muscles would buffer the blow a lot.

True story: I was told that I had a bad habit of biting my parents. One day my mom was so fed up with it, she bit me back!

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:38 PM
link   
"It is recommended that one to five moderate impacts should produce a safe and adequately effective stinging sensation. DO NOT exceed the recommended amount until you are sure of individual results. Depending on the individual, more or less may be required."

I LOVE IT!

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:41 PM
link   
if i have children i dunno if i will spank them. I will probably lock them in there rooms for 2 weeks if they do anything bad

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Spanking should be done from punishment, not from anger.... Just remember also, it isn't just the pain that is punishment, it's the humiliation even moreso. Humiliation is the driving force behind some of today's more common punishments (like "Time Out", basically Go stand in the corner)... It does work well, but IMHO, it needs to be augmented with physical punishment if the transgression is dire enough....

Unfortunately, it's gotten to a point in most states, to where you're afraid to spank your kid, for fear of being slapped in irons.... There is a not so fine line between spanking and child abuse, but for some reason, the powers that be have a hard time distinguishing.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Not beat, but if BRAT doesnt know how to behave or mistreads others he/she oughta be SPANKED.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FULCRUM
Not beat, but if BRAT doesnt know how to behave or mistreads others he/she oughta be SPANKED.

LMFAO!!!

they should be spanked,but not too hard

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:08 PM
link   
There's mental torture that is WAY worst than physical pain.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Parents should really explain to children that what they are doing is wrong, not just hit them and that's it. But sometimes spanking is the only solution, if the child does something very wrong.

Ok, I suspected that you're far too young to understand, and after seeing your profile, I'm right. 17 yr olds can't understand. You don't even know anyone who has young children yet, do you? They don't want to listen, at times. There are times when they just won't, unless you do something to break the defiant mood they're in. You ever tried to explain anything to a screaming child?

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid

And much more traumatizing, long term. That's just wrong. I can't remember even a fraction of my spanking punishments, but I sure can remember mental torture and the hurt that still lingers. That's sick dude.
It never goes away. A red ass goes away pretty fast.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:19 PM
link   
ermmmm im not very good when it comes to being a parent.

p.s im not very young, 17 nearly 18

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Why buy a new gizmo to hit your kids with? A belt can do more than hold your pants up. I got smacked with a belt, a few times. Then I would be grounded,and sent to bed with no dinner. I'm lucky though, never have had the need to spank my son.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Hard to do much mental torture to a screaming 4 yr old, hehe....
There's a time and place for both forms of punishment...imho....

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I noticed a lot of people tend to blame the "out of control" kids of today on the parent's who do not discipline their kids as they did yesterday, in other words by hitting or by using force; but I think this is a huge mistake.

Currently the people of the world are in the midst of a big tranistion. We are dealing with new belief systems that are emerging along with a huge increase in techonology. We are left to figure out what works for us now, not yesterday.

What I see has happended is that people have had a hard time finding an effective method of disciplining their children without using violence. I blame this on people's own laziness. Too many parents are not willing to put in the work and time to find ways to work with their children and so they rely on the age old habit of hitting their kids as a mehtod for discplining them...
Sounds barabaric to me...

AS far as methods to "safely" hit your children; it's ridiculous. Parents who tend to abuse their kids are not be the ones searching for "other" methods to discipline them.

-Jah

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 02:47 PM
link   
i got brought home by the police for starting fires,

going into somebodys house without there permission (found the key under a watering can, in back garden)

i got a smack and grounded for long time for each of the different things, few are above examples i remember well..

ive been grounded and hit a few times i cant remember why but i am allmost certain i was 100% out of order at the time..

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 02:50 PM
link   
well the things we do as children...i wasnt a bad child, but being an only child ment, that i got a bit bored and wasnt exacally a angel...

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 02:54 PM
link   
i was never a bad kid, but my parents justed love to smack my a$$ now and again and the back of my head

[Edited on 25-8-2003 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnotherHologram
I noticed a lot of people tend to blame the "out of control" kids of today on the parent's who do not discipline their kids as they did yesterday, in other words by hitting or by using force; but I think this is a huge mistake.

Currently the people of the world are in the midst of a big tranistion. We are dealing with new belief systems that are emerging along with a huge increase in techonology. We are left to figure out what works for us now, not yesterday.

What I see has happended is that people have had a hard time finding an effective method of disciplining their children without using violence. I blame this on people's own laziness. Too many parents are not willing to put in the work and time to find ways to work with their children and so they rely on the age old habit of hitting their kids as a mehtod for discplining them...
Sounds barabaric to me...

AS far as methods to "safely" hit your children; it's ridiculous. Parents who tend to abuse their kids are not be the ones searching for "other" methods to discipline them.

That's not true. Spanking (not beating) is a last resort. When logic and reason fail miserably, for some kids, that's the only thing that will work. You are partially correct though. I've seen those parents that are really horrible at parenting. You see their kids rebeling and saying "NO!" to them, yet they do nothing to discipline the child. That is why the kid says, "NO!". Because he/she can get away with it without punishment.
If a child gets their way, and knows they can, that's where the trouble usually starts, if not corrected immediately.

I was a very wild child. I'll be the first to admit, no one could've handled me without the occasional spanking.

BTW, I noticed you don't have your b-day in your profile. Age is a huge factor in understanding parenting, IMO. Most teens, and even people in their twenties don't have a clue about real world parenting. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

[Edited on 25-8-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Satyr

For the record: I am 26.

I think I understand why people hit their kids, but it does not make it right. Have you ever wondered how a child would turn out if they ALWAYS received consistent feedback from their parents? Children will be children as they say...they have lots of energy they need to expend and they test their boundraries with what's around them, including their parents. Parents tend to be so inconsistent with their children, particularly when it comes to disciplining them; sometimes they let certain behaviours go, while at other times they punish for it - this lets the child know they are flexible and so they push it... they kids want to know "how flexible will they be?" If a child never got the desired result from having a fit, do you think they would coninue to do it?

I believe the children are our future and it is our responsibility to treat them right, so they will treat people right when they grow up. If you have ever studied child development you would know how influential even one event can be in a child's life, so I am saying people need to be careful about how their behaviour is influencing their children.
Do you think having children learn that hitting is a way to solve problems is a good thing? Do you get hit when you don't do something right at work? This is not a lesson you can apply to the "grown-up" world and so why should people think it's okay to be applied to children? I'm just saying there are other ways to discipline your kids without hitting them, but it takes time and a lot more effort
By the way, I don't think you have to "beat" your kids to have a negative impact.

I think this arguement can go for those who use verbal abuse as a way to discipline their children too.

-JAH

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join