It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish is natural Prozac?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I have always been a propenent of using a natural source of medication rather than a synthetic one... Maybe we should all include a bit more fish in our diet?

Fish oil, which contains omega-3 fatty acids, works as well for depression as Prozac. "We've been very impressed by the response rates we've observed," says psychiatrist David Mischoulon. "We believe there is definitely something to these treatments." Maybe some of us are depressed because our ancestors lived near the sea, where they developed genes that thrive on fish. John McKenzie writes in abcnews.com that scientists first became interested in the fish factor when they noticed that countries with the highest fish consumption had the lowest rates of depression. Also, mothers in the U.K. who ate little fish during their pregnancies doubled their risk of postpartum depression, compared to women who ate fish regularly.

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I think depression is a false "illness" along with ADHD. Prozac imho is just a useless drug that can eventually lead to horrible consequences.

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I assume you are an M.D. based on your post. I have to ask you then how YOU would treat the unnecessary re-uptake of ceritonin?

P...
m...

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megalodon
I think depression is a false "illness" along with ADHD. Prozac imho is just a useless drug that can eventually lead to horrible consequences.

One day, I hope you come to know someone who suffers from a "fake" illness like depression.
After spending the first 25 years of my life in hell, I'm not going to discount Prozac as useless.
Maybe you'd like to tell a diabetic that they have a "fake" illness? After all, one of their organs doesn't function as normal. But when it's someone's brain chemistry, that's a whole different story, right?

Try doing a little research.

-B.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:02 AM
link   
On that thought....

depression.about.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:03 AM
link   
You GO ma'am!

I am sure this fellow/gal has NEVER been ill. Obviously if he/she had ever been i;; they would have KNOWN it was fake and been cured immediately!

P...
m...

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Brain Chemistry Basics

You've probably probably heard the term "neurotransmitter" before, but what does this really mean? Neurotransmitters are chemical messengers within the brain that facilitate communication between nerve cells. Let's illustrate with serotonin. Figure 1 depicts the junction between two nerve cells. Packets of serotonin molecules are released from the end of the presynaptic cell (the axon) into the space between the two nerve cells (the synapse). These molecules may then be taken up by serotonin receptors of the postsynaptic nerve cell (the dendrite) and thus pass along their chemical message. Excess molecules are taken back up by the presynaptic cell and reprocessed.

Several things might potentially go wrong with this process and lead to a serotonin deficit. Just to enumerate a few possibilities:

Not enough serotonin is produced,

There are not enough receptor sites to receive serotonin,

Serotonin is being taken back up too quickly before it can reach receptor sites,

Chemical precursors to serotonin (molecules that serotonin is manufactured from) may be in short supply, or

Molecules that facilitate the production of serotonin may be in too short supply.

As you can see, if there is a breakdown anywhere along the path, neurotransmitter supplies may not be adequate for your brain's needs. Inadequate supplies lead to the symptoms that we know as depression.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Of course fish has natural prozac in it!

Have you ever seen a sad fish?

What would happen if we ate Robin Williams?

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I am sorry if I am not very educated with brain function, but I will clear my ideas up with you.

I don't believe that the brain controls thought/feelings so then you may see from my perspective that something that fixes a brain problem wouldn't help their mind. But that is just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Megalodon you ahve a lot of reading to do, check out Newscientist.com there is heaps on it about food affecting brain moods etc... Its well known to be true..

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I don't believe that the brain controls thought/feelings

You ARE kidding right? If the brain "doesn't control thought then WHAT POSSIBLY does?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

This I gotta hear!

P...
m...

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I am sorry if I am not very educated with brain function, but I will clear my ideas up with you.

I don't believe that the brain controls thought/feelings so then you may see from my perspective that something that fixes a brain problem wouldn't help their mind. But that is just my opinion.

The links posted above show exactly how chemicals in the brain (namely seratonin and norepinephrine) affect one's mood.
Try doing a Google search on the causes of depression before you come to any conclusions. Try, also, looking for information as to how drugs like Ecstasy affect the brain. It's inter-related.
It all comes down to seratonin.
Look at seratonin in relation to a mother's bonding with her newborn. Breastfeeding a baby releases extra seratonin, which causes a "tender" feeling towards the baby.

I repeat: Do some research on the science behind brain chemistry, don't just dismiss a legitimate medical illness because you think it's all in someone's head.
It's no more made-up than diabetes is.

-B.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I am a spiritual person and I believe that the brain controls the bodies functions and neurological impulses, but that the mind itself (which is not a physical construct, but exists as a non-physical part of a person) controls thoughts and feelings (which also exist in the spiritual world as they are not in my opinion physical matter or chemicals).

I would like to not be instructed to be told what to read, as this is what I believe and nothing short of a miracle will change it. If someone came up to me and told me that rain did not fall from clouds but from gigantic slugs that dripped urine upon us, I would probably think they are crazy but I wouldn't see the point of trying to change their minds.

I do not totally understand why my opinion is so detested here apparently. I expressed it and told you how I believe whatI do. What more do you want? Would you like me to say I am wrong? That my friends I will not do. Thanks for being interested though

[Edited on 25-8-2003 by Megalodon]

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I am a spiritual person and I believe that the brain controls the bodies functions and neurological impulses, but that the mind itself (which is not a physical construct, but exists as a non-physical part of a person) controls thoughts and feelings (which also exist in the spiritual world as they are not in my opinion physical matter or chemicals).

Then be on with your self.
Once again, I certainly hope you come to know and care about someone who suffers from depression so you can see just what it entails.

-B.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Yes well I would hope that my contacts would be people who were at a better place then their life than to fall under depression, but I understand where you care coming from. It appears to me that you have someone close to you who is upset in life, and I hope that they feel better however it happens. Sorry if I hit a nerve

Friends?

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Yes well I would hope that my contacts would be people who were at a better place then their life than to fall under depression, but I understand where you care coming from. It appears to me that you have someone close to you who is upset in life, and I hope that they feel better however it happens. Sorry if I hit a nerve

Friends?

I hope you won't take too much offense, but I'll not agree to "friends."
You have just told me that there is something wrong with where I am in my life causing me to to have suffered for 27 years.

I will remain a staunch supporter for psychological treatment and SSRI/SNRI medication for those suffering from depression, whether it comes from Prozac or perch. And I will restrict my contacts to those who are willing to accept the medical fact of neurotransmitter dysfunction as the leading cause of depression in the world.

I wish you well.

-B.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Well I didn't mean friends per-say, but rather "We ok?".

Hopefully you are not upset with me because of my beliefs. If you choose to only associate with people who agree with you on a certain topic, ok. I understand. I do not enjoy associating with people who frequently and blatently litter. Ok, well, I suppose this is it. Take care.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Depression is a symptom based in the body. In severe cases, it becomes so severe that the "will" of a person is greatly reduced. In some ways it is as if a black cloud has been hoisted upon the soul.

Medication is a treatment that is also based in the body. If you eliminate the source of the problem via your own problem-solving skills, how isn't that helping the soul? Isn't spiritual warfare focused on "swaying" our outcome decisions?

I agree that in some cases medications can bring about the very illness that they are intended to remedy. Careful attention by a doctor (and not a "15 minute checkup") is a necessity.

It is not a question as to whether the illness actually exists. It exists so far as one experiences their painful effect. If you have attained adequate spiritual enlightenment, I'm sure that it is possible to block out those pain receptors via depletion of the body's natural endorphin store.

However, in society people demand, expect, and deserve several treatment alternatives. Outcome studies routinely show that medications and/or psychotherapy are as equally effective for the treatment of depression (as well as several other psychological disorders).

The goal of all treatments is to reduce physical and psychological pain. What is your alternative treatment?

Regarding the fish oil treatment: if it stands up to double-blind controlled placebo studies then it is an empirically validated treatment. I think you'd have to be guaranteed of the same high-grade supplier in order to ensure purity across doses.

[Edited on 25-8-2003 by MKULTRA]

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I do not pretend to have a cure, because as I have already stated, I do not believe it to be a disease. To clarify = I don't believe depression has anything to do with the body UNLESS it is because the person is sad about some part of their body (overweight, acne, disability, etc.). I am giving the believers in depression respect by not saying depression in quotes "" everytime, cause I think that is a little rude. If it seems like I do believe it exists, I apologize.

You state that depression is a symptom based in the body, and the rest of your post is based on that. I think it has nothing to do with that, only the soul, and I do not believe myself that going through the body is the way to help sadness in the person themself. Again, just my opinion please don't hurt me.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Gee, isnt it nice that there are some perfect people in the world?

[Sarcasm off]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join