It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project Brighteye

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I had previously read of a project headed by the US Navy for communicating with submerged nuclear submarines using blue-green lasers from airborne and satellite based transmitters.

The reason for this is that radio signals (except for ELF frequencies, which had very low information transmission capacity and required long periods of time to transfer data) cannot penetrate to the normal cruising depths that most nuclear missle subs patrol at. The only option was to deploy a radio antenna bouy, which made the subs vulnerable to detection.

Blue-green lasers are able to penetrate great depths of ocean water, and experiments are still underway for the feasibility of using this system as a communications system, as well as a detection and tracking system for enemy subs.

SUBMARINE LASER COMMUNICATION
Since 1977, GTE/EOO has been continuously involved in the blue-green submarine laser communication (SLC) program, including systems engineering, technology development, and the design, development, and support of field test hardware. A key feature of this work involves the use of pulse position modulation with pseudo-random coding for very low signal level link closure. This leads to the possibilty of LPI/LPD operation. In addition, understanding the water propagation channel and how scattering and absorption affects communication performance are critical. This experience is being used for on-going Underwater Laser Communication Study programs at EOO.

www.eooinc.com...

Now, the interesting thing about all of this is that "officially", this is all still an R&D project. According to a military contact of mine, it is now fully operational, on an orbital platform. It also has another function that was previously not considered: surveillance.

Project Brighteye started out as a Navy submarine communication/detection and tracking program. However, after reevaluation, it was found that it could be used as an orbital active laser imaging system.

In this capacity, Brighteye is deployed with a variable wavelength laser array that is capable of tailoring its laser output wavelength to adapt to the environment. With this system, it is possible to actively image (with very high resolution) virtually any target from orbit, regardless of the weather or other climactic conditions.

In essence, Brighteye fires a laser, wavelength tailored to penetrate wind, rain, fog, snow, clouds, dust storms, ect, and it essentially takes a huge flash photograph of the target area.

The general basis of this technology is already available:

Active Laser Imaging System

INO'S ATV Laser Imaging System offers you unprecedented long range vision in total darkness, fog, rain, or snow. Our active imaging laser uses DALIS TM, a near-IR, pulsed laser illuminator providing high-resolution imaging in any light level. It also features range gating to significantly reduce image degradation due to atmospheric backscatter and blooming from other light sources. The result is greater resolution and the ability to image low thermal contrast scenes. The ATV Laser Imaging System from INO is compact, lightweight, and easily deployed.

Visit www.nightlaser.com for more details.

www.ino.qc.ca...

What is particularly interesting is that the Space Shuttle Columbia was rumored to be carrying a newer and updated version of this system, and was surveilling China and North Korea prior to its shoot down by a Chinese scalar weapon.

[Edited on 25-8-2003 by dragonrider]

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Yet again "Big Brother" has another eye in the sky watching us, but with more power to know what we are doing?

Is it just a better way for sub's to communicate or something more sinister for the governments in control, covering-up something else they are hiding from us?

blackwidow

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 07:50 AM
link   
DR a couple of months ago in the crypto forum you said that HAARP would be able to see the depths of the ocean, wouldn't the Military find it easer to use HAARP technology to send messages to subs since HAARP can get down to crusing depth and below.
HAARP may not be able to be used for commnications, its just a thought, but you are the leading aurthority on the subject.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Very interesting. I am just waiting until laser communication comes to the masses.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedy_sid
DR a couple of months ago in the crypto forum you said that HAARP would be able to see the depths of the ocean, wouldn't the Military find it easer to use HAARP technology to send messages to subs since HAARP can get down to crusing depth and below.
HAARP may not be able to be used for commnications, its just a thought, but you are the leading aurthority on the subject.

I think this is the thread you were talking about:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Actually, I was talking about Brighteye in that thread. As I understand, Brighteye uses (originally) a blue-green laser that can penetrate to the bottom of the ocean. It is used to detect submarines (same as a flash photo, reflecting an image back upwards to the attached camera), and identify friend of foe (through laser reflective markings on the subs upper hull... no markings means its not a friend). It would also be able to modulate and transmit messages to the sub through a reciever on the upper hull or sail (I would imagine such a transmission to be one way from the sat to the sub though).

My point in that thread was that if the resolution of such an imagning system (capable of imaging to the bottom of the ocean) was refined enough, it could possibly image great mystery creatures of the deep that we previously have had little to no information on. There is a possibility that ONI may well have such information, but is unable to release it, as doing so would release too much technical information about Brighteye.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
dragonrider.

Interesting post.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
and listen to your friend....because I'd wager he's right, and that this is fully functional....

It's probably being used by whatever plane replaced the SR71....

new topics

top topics

join