It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

END OF THE WORLD SURVIVAL KIT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 06:56 PM
link   
We are trying to put together a kit that would basically help someone out in a pinch if something really big happened, end of the world, martial law type situation.

Would love some input on things to include.

I found this knife, I would want one of these...heh heh

www.worldknives.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
"The handle is rugged, coated steel and has a compartment with fishing gear, compass, Band-Aids and room for other survival necessities."

Guess you need them for when you stab yourself.

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 07:01 PM
link   
heh heh, worst case scenario i guess

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Too much of a gimmick knife, would more than likely fall apart on you in the midst of heavy use. If you want a knife, get a knife, not a do everything badly tool.

These are a couple of the best, strongest, most durable knives you will likely find...

www.coldsteel.com...

benchmade.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 07:07 PM
link   
ive allways found survival knifes to be cheap and crap... but thats just changed my mind looks pretty interesting

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Blade Runner
ive allways found survival knifes to be cheap and crap...

Go with that feeling. It is correct.

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I have a banged up old machete that I have been using for years,won't seem to break,heavy enough where it doesn't really have to be that sharp,but its easy to sharpen with a file,and you can cut down small trees with it,or chop off limbs of offensive people.
Other stuff
-bow saw 22".
-small hatchet.
-swiss army knife.
-swiss army knife,spoon,fork combination tool.
-2 gallon water jug.
-other stuff.
BUT MY FAVORITE TOOL IS........WAHOOOOOO!
-A Smith & Wesson SW760 9mm semi-auto rifle.
For last resort use,if you're gonna die you might as well die having fun.BLAM.

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 07:30 PM
link   
That would have sounded more clever if I would have said.
"If you're gonna die,you might as well go out with a bang",BLAM!

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 08:31 PM
link   
A Smith & Wesson SW760 9mm semi-auto rifle. Posted by Unbalanced

Havent seen one of those around in a while! Civilian legal semi auto version of the Swedish K subgun... Fun in full auto, but thats about the only attribute it has... 9mm is a liability, and unless you have a full auto, a pistol caliber carbine is not much use...

But I agree, it would be a fun gun!

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGoldenSun
We are trying to put together a kit that would basically help someone out in a pinch if something really big happened, end of the world, martial law type situation.

www.worldknives.com...

My god it can fire arrows, but
can it launch WMD?!

[Edited on 26-8-2003 by drunk]

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 01:38 PM
link   
id get the same kind of knife stallone used in the Rambo movies. Raah

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hmm, I think that might be an extra accessory drunk,

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGoldenSun

www.worldknives.com...

Toilet Paper, for more practical reasons than the obvious. It is vital!

Knives are all good and well, but some firepower should be in consideration. You could go for the silenced

sn Mac-10 Less accurate but sharp

or

G-36 & UMP-45 accurate and heavy duty

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 04:06 PM
link   
We can't include firearms in the kits we send out
, but those are some good ideas to add to the kit.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well, if the kit is going to consist of more than just a knife then please include Toilet Paper

Maps of Major Cities would be a good idea also. Stuff for water purification aswell because the water system would 'go down the plug hole'

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 04:14 PM
link   
this will do me!!

Olive canvas large pack
Beige canvas bag
2-part mess-tin set with bag
Olive scarf
Gloves
Camo scrim net
Olive canvas pouch
Olive Rip-stop poncho
Tent pegs & string
Beige scarf
Knife, spoon & fork in pouch
Olive canvas yoke & belt
Water bottle & mug in pouch
full set of clothes
tent
sleeping bag
strikers ect ect
plenty of 24 hr ration packs
radio
torch
glowsticks ect ect

books, ie sas survival, ray mears survival camping books ect ect

i could go on forever

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 04:17 PM
link   
9mm pistol ammo out of a pistol is pretty worthless,but it builds up a much higher velocity in a longer barrel which greatly increases it's range,the fact that it is somewhat slower than high power rifle ammo =hits harder when it does instead of just passing through,and then I have these two dogs to send out after whoever may be threatening me,kinda hard to return fire when you have a big dog running you down at 30mph,and someone shooting at you.(of course,this would be the worst case=most undesirable).
But then 9mm works pretty good for deer and rabbit hunting,you just have to be quiet enough to get close before you fire,or just wait.
I would probably carry the gun concealed anyway,because in the event of some disaster it would only serve to get you into a firefight where there was none necessary,people would be jumpy,better to try to get a group together,guns scare people.

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 05:02 AM
link   
what do you think about these?

oui

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Some of the most important things you could ever take with you are a lighter, a mirror, some STRONG thread and a GOOD needle, atleast 6 feet of nylon rope, flashlight, batteries, a radio, a rubix cube, a small pot.

The lighter is obviously used to start fires, to keep you warm, or to make a signal fire to attract others. Infact the lighter does not even have to be full, it can be empty, as the sparks from it can ignite some good dry wood/flint.

The mirror can be used to signal others in the event of emergencies. Infact on a good clear day, light being reflected off of a mirror can be seen from miles away. Also make sure the mirror is not glass either, they have shatter proof mirrors made out of bullet proof lexan, which will be good, so it wont break on you.

The STRONG thread, and needle can be used to sow back together clothes that WILL eventually rip.

Rope can be used for many different purposes such using it for bindings for a splint for when you break, or sprain a leg, or ankle. It can also be used to access high places that could not ordinarily be accessed. Such as a cocoanut tree so you have access to the cocoanuts. (And yes! 6 feet of rope is long enough to allow you to climb a full grown cocoanut tree.)

Small pot to boil water, and cook anything else you may find.

Rubix cubes are good for keeping the mind active. If left in a deserted area, away from people, with nothing to do, it is very easy to begin to "loose your grip", the rubix cube is to help prevent that.

If you want any more Ideas just U2U me, cause I dont want this reply to get too long...

[Edited on 28-8-2003 by oui]

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by uNBaLaNCeD
9mm pistol ammo out of a pistol is pretty worthless,but it builds up a much higher velocity in a longer barrel which greatly increases it's range,the fact that it is somewhat slower than high power rifle ammo =hits harder when it does instead of just passing through,and then I have these two dogs to send out after whoever may be threatening me,kinda hard to return fire when you have a big dog running you down at 30mph,and someone shooting at you.(of course,this would be the worst case=most undesirable).
But then 9mm works pretty good for deer and rabbit hunting,you just have to be quiet enough to get close before you fire,or just wait.
I would probably carry the gun concealed anyway,because in the event of some disaster it would only serve to get you into a firefight where there was none necessary,people would be jumpy,better to try to get a group together,guns scare people.

No doubt that you get a good ballistic boost with 9mm from a carbine barrel. For example, a 9mm slug usually runs about 1200 feet per second out of a 4.5 inch pistol barrel, will run about 1500-1600 feet per second. That is indeed impressive compared to the handgun, but you are still shooting a relatively low powered handgun round.

Compared to a .30-.30 lever action, you are still about 3 steps below in power. (And .30-.30 isnt that much of a powerhouse). Even compared to a .44 magnum lever action, it is still kind of wanting.

You are still looking at a max range of about 100 meters, while a .308 will get you at least 600. .308/30.06 family will take just about anything in the north american continent, but 9mm wont take much more than something coyote sized.

Trust me on this, a heavy calibre rifle will go MUCH farther...

new topics

top topics

join