It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Helyxzion Software to Unlock DNA Codes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Ever since the Human Geonome was decoded scientists have been working hard to characterize and understand the multitudes of proteins generated by human DNA. Proteins are the way genes express themselves inside a living cell. The various proteins and protein combinations literally control our lives. Until now the only way to understand how a particular protein worked was to crystallize it and then X-ray it and slowly figure out how it was folded and what it could bind to. Progress was therefore very slow even though scientists worldwide were working on the problem. A new software package from Helyxzion LLC; however, promises to change all that.

www.physorg.com
Without clear sight, problems remain unsolvable. Until now, looking at DNA has been tantalizing, but ultimately, a tease.

Helyxzion´s New v.3.0 Pro Anvil Viewer™, revolutionary software produced by Helyxzion and sold by Helyxzion/Biochemicon (Biochemicon is the European Representative of Helyxzion LLC and the NBI nano, bio, info–tech part of this holding company), presents scientists with a tool designed to bring a new level of clarity and precision to DNA studies. The new viewer allows scientists to understand DNA sequences which have heretofore been considered just nonsense.

Bioinformatics is a branch of biology dedicated to mathematically decrypt the genetic code. The field did not bear fruit until the human genome was successfully and sequentially mapped. After that, real results began to emerge. Building on this monumental breakthrough, scientists developed a Helyxzonic model and were well on the way to produce software capable of letting researchers translate the language contained in all of human DNA.

The viewer is a web-based viewer that allows a biologist to upload a string of DNA code and analyze it at differing scales. While conventional theories suggest only three percent of DNA contributes to the protein basis of human life, using the viewer, scientists can begin to see new combinations and how they contribute to human life and to disease. According to Battistutti, researchers can catalogue new combinations within individual genes that may provide insight into the protein basis of many common disorders, such as cancer. With greater insight may come more effective treatments.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I, like many around the world, thought that once the human geonome was decoded cures for every ailment aflicting mankind would quickly follow. Decoding the human geonome was only the beginning though. Cataloging, characterizing and understanding all the proteins manufactured by our DNA is the critical step to understanding how and why humans work the way they do and learning how to modify or repair ourselves.

Progress towards that goal has been agonizingly slow however because we simply didn't have the tools needed for the effort. Now, for the first time, a tool has been built that should speed up progress by many orders of magnitude.

I fully expect near miracluous cures to follow the widespread use of this new tool and in all probability Dr. Charles Stevens may receive a Nobel Prize for its creation.

For the full story go to:

www.physorg.com...

Additional links:

news.uns.purdue.edu...
www.brynmawr.edu...
i-newswire.com...

[edit on 27-7-2005 by Astronomer68]

[edit on 27-7-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Well apparently those of you who feel this topic is inappropriate for ATSN are correct because no one has replied. I thought that people might be interested in knowing that substantial progress towards longer, healthier lives is now likely possible. Before, advances were difficult to make and came about very slowly, now, a tool is available that promises to accelerate the entire field of genetic research.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Astronomer68, dont let the no votes get you down. You could of posted that aliens landed and assassinated the President and you'd still get "no:not right" and "no:bias" votes. Some people are just idiots.

This story is very interesting and I hope the software can speed up the cataloging efforts of our scientists.

The only criticism i have is that the story headline is all capitals, only the initial letters need capitals. No really a major problem, just a form thing.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Thanks for trying to cheer me up Subz.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I find this information very interesting.
The ability to one day being able to cure diseases such as cancer brings up the possibility of prolonging human life.
Scientists could discover more about the aging process and possibly find ways to prolong, halt, or even reverse some effects of aging.

Good find

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Since literally everything in human life is about proteins that scientist have heretofore been unable to see & decipher clearly, then yes, this discovery may very well lead to discoveries on how to prolong our lives, or make us smarter, or healthier, etc..

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
It probally will lead to scientific progress, however don't bet on any cures. Sadly pharmaceuticals and ailments are big bucks. Still great for scientific research though, and who knows maybe someone will throw us a bone

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by silentlonewolf
Sadly pharmaceuticals and ailments are big bucks.

It really pains me to have to agree with you about this observation, but you are correct. The pharmaceutical conglomerates will not easily give up chuncks of their income as cures instead of treatments are discovered.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Sounds like they could use this tool on the coral DNA that supposedly has about as many genes as human do. They are probably to busy though looking at human DNA.

new topics

top topics

join