It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aristocrats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - It is not "Fahrenheit 9/11" or "The Passion of the Christ," but low-budget film "The Aristocrats" is fast becoming this summer's controversial movie because of only one thing -- a joke.
ADVERTISEMENT
click here

"Passion" kicked up a fuss over religious issues and violence, and anti-Bush documentary "Fahrenheit" became an election year call-to-arms for critics of the U.S. president.
In "The Aristocrats," which debuts in U.S. theaters on Friday, comedians Paul Provenza and Penn Jillette, who is part of the team Penn & Teller, chose 100 comics from
Robin Williams to
Eddie Izzard to tell the same, dirty joke.

There is only one punchline but as many ways to tell the joke as there are comics. The filmmakers' goal is two-fold: making audiences laugh and showing how comic minds work.

But the way the joke is told is so filthy -- filled with scatological and sexual references -- that AMC theaters, the U.S. No. 2 movie chain, has chosen to exclude "Aristocrats" from its theaters. While some movie marketers might try to work avoid controversial topics when promoting films, Provenza and Jillette are trumpeting them.

rest of story

This is going to be one hell of a movie. I'll be considering this. Probably one of the only movies I'll be watching where I'm not going just for the special effects. That is if they release it in toronto theaters.

[edit on 7-26-2005 by websurfer]

new topics

join