It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Transplantation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The most realistic way of obtaining 'eternal life', in our time line, is brain transplantation. Having those who are wealthy enough to have their brain transplanted into a younger clone of themselves, so they can keep living on, and on, repeatedly.

What do you think about this?

It's scary, yet I know, were my real self dying, I would sacrafice to let it live on..were I a clone...

Knowing I have these values, I would clone myself, in order to survive......probably, and also if I could afford it!

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Waaaaaay beyond out capacity. IMHO we will see room temperature superconductors before we see brain transplants.

I agree with your premise, however we have to get past the legal/ethical issues of cloning ones body and stopping or negating the fundemental changes in the brains structure as it ages.

crawl before you walk, walk before you run...... regenerating spinal tissue would be a first good step in that direction.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I would imagine it to be very difficult to transplant a brain because of the delicacy of the brain stem and nervous system/spinal cord. Perhaps when nanotechnology advances far enough? Who knows.

The chemical control of aging will probably be the first life extention technique to come into common use imo.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Not only the body ages, the brain does too and in some cases, the brain goes bad way before the body gives out. I know this old fella here in town, hes 84 years old, worked all his life as an engineer, was one of the brightest heads in his time and now at current day, he still works on a farm, hes strong as an ox and very fit, although he smoked, ate and drank all his life long.

His only problems related to his age are that his memory is as good as gone and his verbal and reasoning skills are reverted to near childish levels. Hes dementing more and more every day, but his body is still strong.

Brain transplants are no way of getting eternal life.
The only way I see eternal life happening is trough rejuvination techniques(most likely trough DNA coding) or brain downloads onto a computer system(or into androids/robots)

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
You could also argue that you wouldnt be the same person all in all if you believe in the concept of a person having a soul. Body mind and soul in most peoples opinons are seperate. Just thought id throw in another perspective.

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 04:43 AM
link   
If you really think about his post i reckon it'd be a reasonable presumption that it'd be possible for transplanting ones Brain. He did say lifetime, and a lot can happen in over sixty years. Probably far from the most viable alternative to prolonging the inevitable but its not as though they haveto know everything about everything about brains, sure heaps more than is currently known but considering what science is capable of and so long as the world don't blow itself up in our life times whats so far fetched about brain transplants? Besides it sounding like some sci fi novel.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   
You have good opinions, but indeed as the last person said, a lot happens in a life time.

Rael has supposedly already created various clones, for people who's children who died due to accidents, and they wanted the same child, to raise again....

He says he refuses to allow media to know where he dispersed the families, or the clones, due to how much assault they would receieve from media.

To regenerate any brain deterioration, stem cell research would come in handy! N cloning ourselves, to pop a nicely rejuvinated stem cell brain in a young fresh body would be quite nice...^.^

Also! I heard a scientist conducting illegal brain transplantation research outside of US, has successfully transplanted a monkies brain into a dog...(Or vice versa?), but the creature died, about a week later.

Nonetheless, if one scientist can managa that on his own, this of how close we really are! Now the others just need to start working on stem cell research, along with cloning technology...

[edit on 27-7-2005 by QuestForSafety]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
There's another way maybe?

Grow the younger clone of yourself in a kyrogentic type comotose brain state.....then download all your brain functions and experiences into an aritifical storage unit (bio computer) then down load that into the clone and bring it out of the comotose state......

It would be like you go to sleep and waking up a young person again but with all your knowledge..............instead of just dying........

I know I've taken some leaps in technology here..............but I'm confident this could happen before a brain transplant.........

Odds are we will just morph into artifical brains and bodys rather than dealing with the dangers and short comings of a biological based future.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Please anyone with a background in this correct me for I am a mere english major

Isn't part of our memory and reasoning power stored through our entire body in the nervous system?

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Our memories and power of reasoning are stored in our brain not our nervous system. For example some amputees still "feel" that their limb is attached and yet nothing is there. This is the brain communicating to a part that doesn't exsist. The memory of the limb is stored in the cerebal cortex of the brain.

I think that a brain transplant would have many ramifications it if were ever to happen. Think Frankenstein!

First of all say you die in your 50's and there to replace you was a clone of you. Your clone would have to be adult size of the time of your death in order to support your transplanted brain. You obviously couldn't put an adult size brain into a clone of you as an infant or small child.
Now say that is was a sucessful brain transplant and all we have to do is wait to see if it rejects. Could you imagine? A brain reject?

Although I feel as if I already know some people like that now

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by futuretense
There's another way maybe?

Grow the younger clone of yourself in a kyrogentic type comotose brain state.....then download all your brain functions and experiences into an aritifical storage unit (bio computer) then down load that into the clone and bring it out of the comotose state......

It would be like you go to sleep and waking up a young person again but with all your knowledge..............instead of just dying........

I know I've taken some leaps in technology here..............but I'm confident this could happen before a brain transplant.........

Odds are we will just morph into artifical brains and bodys rather than dealing with the dangers and short comings of a biological based future.

That's not eternal life though, that's just creating a replica, while you face death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think about it, the REAL you dies.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by coronamoz
Please anyone with a background in this correct me for I am a mere english major

Isn't part of our memory and reasoning power stored through our entire body in the nervous system?

No, and the personality, n memories, n such as in the frontal lobe part of the brain, simply put the rest is just to keep the brain functioning, and body working.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DDay
Our memories and power of reasoning are stored in our brain not our nervous system. For example some amputees still "feel" that their limb is attached and yet nothing is there. This is the brain communicating to a part that doesn't exsist. The memory of the limb is stored in the cerebal cortex of the brain.

I think that a brain transplant would have many ramifications it if were ever to happen. Think Frankenstein!

First of all say you die in your 50's and there to replace you was a clone of you. Your clone would have to be adult size of the time of your death in order to support your transplanted brain. You obviously couldn't put an adult size brain into a clone of you as an infant or small child.
Now say that is was a sucessful brain transplant and all we have to do is wait to see if it rejects. Could you imagine? A brain reject?

Although I feel as if I already know some people like that now

*Rolls eyes*

Actually there's lots of parts of the brain that could be cut out to allow a younger body, parts such as scent, take up a huge part, and though evolution cuts it down each year, we could really go without that, with this advanced technology n day in age.......

Don't go there on Frakenstein!

Were thinking transplants, with ONE scar along a hairline, where it's never seen, not building a mutant out of dead body parts sewn together!

N also, brain rejects would simply die, which is why the body would need to be a clone, so the brain accepts the body as it's original habitat, n does not get infection, or something, resulting in death for sure, if it did not take.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Well Qwest you seem to have all of the answers however another one still plagues me.

What would be the price tag to do this? Would this be something available to everyone as it should be? Would insurance pick up the cost?
The reason I ask is because I don't think everyone should be able to clone themselves and have the second skin so to speak ready for our brain transplant. And it certainly shouldn't be limited to just the wealthy.

The most realistic way of obtaining 'eternal life', in our time line, is brain transplantation. Having those who are wealthy enough to have their brain transplanted into a younger clone of themselves, so they can keep living on, and on, repeatedly.

What about pedophiles, other sex offenders or just plain offenders? Murderers that get off due to a technicality and walk free. Should these people be allowed to reserve the right for "eternal life"

Where would the line be drawn that wouldn't invite discrimination.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DDay
Well Qwest you seem to have all of the answers however another one still plagues me.

What would be the price tag to do this? Would this be something available to everyone as it should be? Would insurance pick up the cost?
The reason I ask is because I don't think everyone should be able to clone themselves and have the second skin so to speak ready for our brain transplant. And it certainly shouldn't be limited to just the wealthy.

What about pedophiles, other sex offenders or just plain offenders? Murderers that get off due to a technicality and walk free. Should these people be allowed to reserve the right for "eternal life"

Where would the line be drawn that wouldn't invite discrimination.

The vast bad offenders would not be allowed I think, there would have to be a law, you kill someone, then your going to die ONE DAY. I mean, it's unfair to death penalty them, but at least denying them this 'chance' kills last hope.

Sadly it really would end up going to the wealthy...............it would probably cost millions, and only extremely wealthy stars, n such could afford it.

Maybe it's all selective ways the world is finding to breed out the bad who can't afford it, and have all the beautiful, and handsome celebrities living forever!

new topics

top topics

join