It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"GOD, if you are real........"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Two things Navy SEALS are always taught:

1. Keep your priorities in order

2. Know when to act without hesitation

A college professor, an avowed atheist and active in the ACLU, was
teaching his class. He shocked several of his students when he flatly
stated that for once and for all he was going to prove there was no God.

Addressing the ceiling he shouted: "GOD, if you are real, then I want you
to knock me off this platform. I'll give you exactly 15
minutes!!!!!"

The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. Ten minutes went by.

"I'm waiting God, if you're real, knock me off this platform!!!!"

Again after 5 minutes, the professor taunted God saying, "Here I am,
God!!! I'm still waiting!!!"

His count down got down to the last couple of minutes when a Navy SEAL,
just released from the Navy after serving in Afghanistan and Iraq and
newly registered in the class, walked up to the Professor. The SEAL hit
him full force in the face, and sent the Professor tumbling from his lofty
platform.

The Professor was out cold!! The students were stunned and shocked. They
began to babble in confusion. The SEAL nonchalantly took his seat in the
front row and sat silent. The class looked at him and fell
silent...waiting.

Eventually, the professor came to and was noticeably shaken. He looked at
the SEAL in the front row. When the professor regained his senses and
could speak he asked: "What the hell is the matter with you? Why did you
do that!?"

"God was really busy protecting America's soldiers, who are protecting
your right to say stupid sh*t and act like an a**hole!! So he sent me!!"

It just don't get any better than this now does it?

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Perfect example of how some people underestimate the power of the almighty.

Perfect indeed.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This should be in Jokes and Pranks?

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
This should be in Jokes and Pranks?

I thought about that, but it's just not funny. Hate to bring that whole forum down too.

Really I think this sums up Ed's notion of spirituality perfectly, so it might as well stay for serious theological debate and discussion.

So Ed, is your cult based on just random violence or violence targeting civil libertarians in particular?

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Come on RANT, this was a perfect example of how professors act and although I didn't 'hit' them, I confronted these professors at every turn. If this makes you think that God wants you to go punch someone then you have missed the point.

The point is He is always in control and don't tempt him.

Nowhere does He say in his Word that violence is not a tool, the Bible is full of that exact thing.

Although this is a joke, it makes you think........It does belong here.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
When surrounded by people who have no clue about God, and think that He is already a violent hateful fantasy, it would not be funny to them to make a joke that paints God as reacting in an instant and violent manner.

Christians on the other hand do see the humor in the way the story played out the opposite of what Jesus taught.

C'mon....its not like the dude took out a grenade and tossed it

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I took it as a "pun", a joke of sorts that I didn't believe truly happened. But, it is a plausible reaction to someone taking offense to:

1) Their religious icon being tempted or ridiculed &
2) A proffesor wasting 15 minutes of my time to time GOD's reaction to being directly challenged.

At any rate, I thought it gave me a little chuckle, but I know my reaction would not been the same in such a situation.

I'm certain I would have utillized whatever rhetoric I could to get him down from his soap box, then dropped the class and left at that precise moment.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Come on RANT, this was a perfect example of how professors act and although I didn't 'hit' them, I confronted these professors at every turn.

Right. And I'm sure the engineering class was all the better for your efforts.

Sorry, I've just never experienced the cartoonish stereotypes (of both others and self) that exist in the mind of modern conservatives anywhere in real life.

I can't imagine what kind of professors you've encountered of which this would be a "perfect" example, but I've known and studied under many Philosophy & Religion professors, all learned doctorates, half ordained ministers, and it's simply not how college is taught. At all.

Not philosophy 101; not senior colloquiums, not graduate work, and nothing in-between. I've certainly known a few that might tell that joke over a pitcher, but everyone knows ministers can't hold their beer.

As a 'joke' it's fine I suppose. Just a twist on every pastor's favorite of "I sent you a raft, a rowboat, a speedboat and a helicopter, what more do you want?" but every ounce of potential 'cuteness' is just sucked right out of it by the overt agenda of the strained setup: Not just an atheist, but a professor in the ACLU (the horrors) versus not just a pious student, but a Navy SEAL fresh from Afghanistan AND Iraq.
Please.

This wasn't even posted for a chuckle. Just to flame. And what's more, inject Jesus into the war, tarnish education and academia, and dumb us all down just a little bit more. But I respect that's your religion.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANTThis wasn't even posted for a chuckle. Just to flame. And what's more, inject Jesus into the war, tarnish education and academia, and dumb us all down just a little bit more. But I respect that's your religion.

No it wasn't posted to flame, it was posted becuase I had professors that did have that attitude and 'mocked' God all the time. I guess they knew it bothered me or something. I found this to be funny but at the same time, interesting in that the turn of events was unexpected. Most college kids are scared #less to confront their professor (sometimes for good reason as quite a few would remember it come grade time).

But then again these were not LAS professors, they were Physics and Engineering ones.

Believe it or not, the higher I got in electrical engineering the more "believers" among professors I saw. They saw creation for what it is, not a random burp of the universe.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Good story edsinger. I'm not taking this personally to have any religious significance or as an example of how normal professors act, but just as a good anecdote. Made me laugh

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
No it wasn't posted to flame, it was posted becuase I had professors that did have that attitude and 'mocked' God all the time. I guess they knew it bothered me or something. I found this to be funny but at the same time, interesting in that the turn of events was unexpected. Most college kids are scared #less to confront their professor (sometimes for good reason as quite a few would remember it come grade time).

But then again these were not LAS professors, they were Physics and Engineering ones.

Believe it or not, the higher I got in electrical engineering the more "believers" among professors I saw. They saw creation for what it is, not a random burp of the universe.

Then sadly you had some pretty crappy fundamentalists professors on both ends of the spectrum that had no business talking about proofs against or for God in physics and engineering classes... but your own fundamentalism only allows you to see that one side of that coin is wrong. Were the "believers" among professors you came to know just "mocking" those that didn't believe because they knew it bothered people or something, or are they excused for their behavior?

Bottom line is that Philosophy, Religion and Theology classes are the place to talk about God and dissect proofs *for* Him as a logical exercise in examining the metaphysical period. You don't do much of the opposite as there are no scholarly proofs against the existence of God. That's folly. The existentialists merely begin with a different premise, existence (not it's origins), and discuss the phenomenological implications of an existence where God is an irrelevant notion one can neither prove or disprove (then you get to dissect them too). That's not a *proof* against God's existence. And no academic worth his salt in the actual field of Philosophy, Religion or Theology would ever assert such a proof. Your professors not in the field, had no more business asserting proofs and beliefs for God to students than those you claim "mocked" Him. But those in the field not only have every right to challenge beliefs, it's their job. The Socratic method always feels like you're being mocked, but it a makes you a better person. Put up or shut up. Believe what you believe for a reason. Professors are not your mommies and daddies there to parrot and support. Their job is challenge. I'm sure the professors that ticked you off the most stick in your mind for a reason. You should send them a thank you note.

I'm sorry you're getting the brunt of this, but the prevalent notion that college is a place where one is indoctrinated to become immoral or not believe in God is particularly disturbing to someone that actually knows better, and went to a (not at all a-typical) secular state college specifically to learn about God.

Higher education and all things for the greater public good (PBS, NPR, civil liberties, science, a secular government and a million other things some Christians don't like) are not "at war" with Christianity (as far too many claim) and that dangerous disinformation campaign has got to stop. It's only going to hurt kids and Christians in the end.

[edit on 27-7-2005 by RANT]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Higher education and all things for the greater public good (PBS, NPR, civil liberties, science, a secular government and a million other things some Christians don't like) are not "at war" with Christianity (as far too many claim) and that dangerous disinformation campaign has got to stop. It's only going to hurt kids and Christians in the end.

Well as a Christian, and a conservative, I have to say... I agree with you.(fancy that!) Christianity should not impede the progress of the things you mention, as long as Christians and their faith get equal consideration for their input, scientifically, and civil rights, goverment, and media-wise.(does that make sense?)Government, itself, should be secular; however, you can not divorce your faith from your politics, it simply aint possible. Likewise, Christians want to know that NPR and PBS will feature programming that is not exclusive of their point of view, at least parity with other views would be nice.

Personally, I'm a big fan of both PBS & NPR; I'm a big fan of science and civil liberties too. Let's just maintain a level playing field is what I'm saying.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
This Seal failed to fulfill the duties of a soldier,
of protecting free speech,
And used violent force simply because he was upset.

If he considers himself a soldier his actions and words contradicted one another.

This seal is no patriot to the ideals of the founding fathers.
He is no kind of patriot.
He is a traitor to American Ideals.
Perhaps this is because he does not have the intellect or emotional maturity to see his own self-contradiction.

If we have enough guys like this maybe America can have its own Mugabe take over to impose themselves at the expense of other people's freedoms.

When guys like this are killed off in war, America is safer and better off.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
This Seal failed to fulfill the duties of a soldier,
of protecting free speech,
And used violent force simply because he was upset.

If he considers himself a soldier his actions and words contradicted one another.

This seal is no patriot to the ideals of the founding fathers.
He is no kind of patriot.
He is a traitor to American Ideals.
Perhaps this is because he does not have the intellect or emotional maturity to see his own self-contradiction.

If we have enough guys like this maybe America can have its own Mugabe take over to impose themselves at the expense of other people's freedoms.

When guys like this are killed off in war, America is safer and better off.

OH GREAT!!

Your reading comprehension skillz are being tested ehh.
He is a recently released civilian. No longer a seal. A large chunk of your post does not apply.

Then you go on to psycoanalyze an imaginary person.
LOL
Please teach us about Bugs Bunny in your next post

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Sheer stupidity is the only way to describe the actions of the SEAL.
Honesty if the SEAL hadnt wacked the Professor and he hadnt fallen from the stage what would have happend?
Surely people are so blinded by there beliefs that the Professors antics wouldnt have had an affect on them?
This incident shows just how far some people will go in order to hide from the truth and the logical conclusion.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
If you are going to hide behind the banner of protecting American freedom,
But react violently against them the first time you actually come face to face with them,
You are a fraud.

a LIAR.

Either you believe in American freedoms down to your core or you are a LIAR.

To yourself and everyone else.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   

The bottom line is that the professor was knocked off his platform.

ha ha ha ha ha ha

that was really good, from many perspectives.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
It amazes me the reaction to this....some saw the humor, some saw the irony, while most just bitched about it.

The land of the Tulipwalker..............

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Its only funny if American free speech doesn't matter to you.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Human free speech is something I consider an unalienable right. Despite the honorable intentions of our founding fathers, what exists in American is not a state of 'free speech', no matter how it might appear--there is no 'true freedom' in this world except on an individual basis--and these truly liberated individuals don't usually stand out in the crowd.

BUT this does not in any way say that I do not highly value each and every life which was ever given for me to have the ability to be typing this very thing I'm writing right now. My dad was a veteran of WWII--a sniper/scout who was on Normandy beach D-Day +1. He was an amazing tough and gentle man, whom I miss dearly, and I know the same is true for each and every soldier who ever gave his life so I could say 'f*%@ the president,' 'christianity is a farce,' 'God is not a democrat or republican,' or any of those things.

I think the joke is funny because the way I see it--the SEAL was both right in what he said and was obviously working as instrument of God--if the professor didn't see that as 'proof' then he never will. But what I believe, no, I'll say 'I know with certainty', is that God is the ultimate ruler of the universe, ultimately responsible for all He has created and possessing a love for each created atom--each and every one. (despite christianity's claim of some sort of alcatraz/death valley 'eternal' imprisonment for 'non christians') And in believing that, the only way I can see the punch line is that God willed that SEAL to defend His name and prove a point by knocking down the 'haughty and proud nonbeliever'. Don't push God--He might push back--and He pushes with much more might than we can comprehend.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join