It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Stop Remaking Classics!!!!!

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Why do film makers insist on ruining classic movies by remaking them using rediculous amounts of CGI and stoopid actors?

For example.....

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory!

Yes i may be a bit too old for it now but it was a film i loved as a child along with millions of others that loved it!
But now its been destroyed.....

Johnny Depp is a brilliant actor but he'll never be as good as the original.....

And for gods sake....THE OOMPA LOOMPAS ARENT EVEN ORANGE ANYMORE!!!!!

Theyve ruined a brilliant film!


Message to film studios.....STOP TRYING TO REKINDLE THE ORIGINAL MAGIC THAT OLD FILMS BROUGHT US!!!!!

Rant over....Bed Now!

Mic




posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I'm with you on that. Batman, Spiderman and on and on I really could go. And let's not forget all of the extra boring TV show's nobody liked when they were TV shows.



posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory!


I went to see it the day is was out, and thought it was brilliant!!!!

I recommend everyone go see it and ignore those who say it is rubbish.



posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by BLUBBER
I'm with you on that. Batman, Spiderman and on and on I really could go.


Have you even seen the new Batman?? The Batman movies that came before Batman Begins were lame in comparison. I haven't thouroughly enjoyed a movie that much in a long time. And what's Spiderman a remake of?? Are you saying you liked the TV show from the early '80s better? That was pathetic!!
Remember when Spidey would shoot his web? They would show him raising his wrist to shoot his web and then in the next shot there would be a huge fishing net falling on the bad guys.:shk:

Peace


[edit on 1-8-2005 by Dr Love]



posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Charlie and the Chocolate factory isn't a remake of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Charleis and the Chocolate factory is based directly on the book. Most of it is different. Over half of the movie is different. So it's not really a remake.



posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I'd say it's still a remake.

It's just a way to make quick garuenteed cash, they are of course going to do it as much as they can, especially now.. since we have been going through all this RETRO = COOL phase.



posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ksnazdnzon
since we have been going through all this RETRO = COOL phase.

Buckle up and get ready for a long ride....That's the way things have been working for quite some time...

You have to look at this from a cultural perspective....Because movies are always being remade...The Gene Wilder version of C&TCF was a product of a different time, ideas, film genre, style, interpretation...

Of course they're out to make money - They were out to make money with the originals as well...But you are the consumer of these products, therefore you reap the reward...

They're not out to replace your classics, or to show how lazy they can be by doing something that's already been done....Because if you happen to pay close attention in a high quality "remake" you'll be surprised at the originality you'll see....

Now - If you want a good example of movies that really should not be "made over, " take a look at Metropolis - It's gone from the creative-freedom approach of adding an 80s soundtrack to a version that was chopped to pieces, missing more than half the original film...



posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This year's King Kong by Peter Jackson is the definitive King Kong, and I'm not even paid to say it.



posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
not to mention war of the worlds and bad news bears and duked of hazzard



posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   
MickeyDee I agree stop ruining a good thing!!!
Old TV shows dont usualy make good movies. The expection to this is of course the Star Trek movies. But there have been a few hicups on the way.



posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   
In the old Charlie we have the wisdom and cutting humor of Gene Wilder. It's the best movie for adults to watch and the songs are much more simple and direct in their attacks against poor attitudes and other sins.

The old Charlie has the ultimate ending when little Charlie redeems himself after having drank the Fizzy Lifter Drinks. He hands Wonka back the Everlasting Gobbstopper that he gave each child. This scene was huge! When we see Wonka's reaction and learn the secret behind the invitations received be each child.

Now I give this much to the new version, it has color and visual beauty. My daughter loved the new Wonka and I would bet the young children would prefer the new Wonka. It is much more colorful and magical to their young eyes.

Still, nothing beats Gene Wilder as Wonka!



posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It's official---Holywood has run out of original ideas. Get ready for remakes of...

Fatal Attraction
Body Snatchers (with Nicole Kidman... guess she has too many Oscars and not enough $$$)
Adventures in Babysitting
Revenge of the Nerds
Barbarella (with Lindsey Lohan... ugh...)
10 (with Ricky Gervais in Dudley Moore's role...)
Hairspray
The Poseidon Adventure
All of Me
The Birds (blasphemy! Michael "Pearl Harbor" Bay is directing... )
Casino Royale
Scanners
Cannonball Run
The Bridge on the River Kwai
All the King's Men
Flash Gordon (again)
The Stud (old 60's Jackie Collins film remade with Mark Wahlberg. Rumor has it that he costars with his prosthetic "friend" from Boogie Nights.)
Evil Dead
Soylent Green
The Fog
Summer School
The Shaggy Dog
Porky's
The Hitcher
Prom Night
Forbidden Planet
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf

I'm sure there are others. Hollywood studios have become so risk averse that they would rather invest $50 to $100 million in rehashed stories with a built-in audience than an original idea that no one may want to spend $10.50 to see.

The good news is that this opens the door for really good smaller independent films (which will eventually get remade as bad big-budget Hollywood films 30 years from now... )

This is a great weekend for independent film, btw... Jim Jarmusch's Broken Flowers (with Bill Murray), Wong Kar-Wai's 2046 (saw it at the Tribeca Film Festival--breathtaking!), Murderball, Happy Endings, Gus Van Sant's Last Days, and Me and You and Everyone We Know are all in theaters.



posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by lmgnyc

Fatal Attraction
Body Snatchers (with Nicole Kidman... guess she has too many Oscars and not enough $$$)
Adventures in Babysitting
Revenge of the Nerds
Barbarella (with Lindsey Lohan... ugh...)
10 (with Ricky Gervais in Dudley Moore's role...)
Hairspray
The Poseidon Adventure
All of Me
The Birds (blasphemy! Michael "Pearl Harbor" Bay is directing... )
Casino Royale
Scanners
Cannonball Run
The Bridge on the River Kwai
All the King's Men
Flash Gordon (again)
The Stud (old 60's Jackie Collins film remade with Mark Wahlberg. Rumor has it that he costars with his prosthetic "friend" from Boogie Nights.)
Evil Dead
Soylent Green
The Fog
Summer School
The Shaggy Dog
Porky's
The Hitcher
Prom Night
Forbidden Planet
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf



Let's see, the movies on that list that just can't be done any better than the original are IMO:

Fatal Attraction
Revenge of the Nerds
Scanners
Flash Gordon (only as far as the soundtrack goes)
The Fog
Porky's
The Hitcher

Hollywood can do whatever they want with the rest but I really wish they'd leave these seven be.

Peace



posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Leave Alfred Hitchcock "The Birds" alone!!!!!

Love that movie, and Porky's is hilarious, a remake would be like remaking Animal House.

Evil Dead? Like Bruce Campbell Evil Dead?

"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
"Were you born that ugly?"
"Allow me to fix that for you." Followed by shotgun blast

I love those movies, Bruce Campbell is awsome!!!! Maybe have him in it, or direct, he is so awsome.



posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Let's see, the movies on that list that just can't be done any better than the original are IMO:

Fatal Attraction
Revenge of the Nerds
Scanners
Flash Gordon (only as far as the soundtrack goes)
The Fog
Porky's
The Hitcher

Hollywood can do whatever they want with the rest but I really wish they'd leave these seven be.

Peace


I have to agree with you--especially Scanners. Anybody that attempts to improve upon David Cronenberg is out of their mind (apropos for Scanners, literally and figuratively...)

I am curious to see what they do with Soylent Green. I think it would be really cool to see it updated the right way... but that will never happen...


Originally posted by James the Lesser
Leave Alfred Hitchcock "The Birds" alone!!!!!

Love that movie, and Porky's is hilarious, a remake would be like remaking Animal House.

Evil Dead? Like Bruce Campbell Evil Dead?

"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
"Were you born that ugly?"
"Allow me to fix that for you." Followed by shotgun blast

I love those movies, Bruce Campbell is awsome!!!! Maybe have him in it, or direct, he is so awsome.


Not only is The Birds being remade, but Michael Bay is directing. He directed Pearl Harbor, The Rock, Armageddon, Bad Boys I & II, and most recently, The Island.... Hitchcock's original story and character-driven film will now become mechanical birds dropping nuclear bombs on Los Angeles, with Jessica Alba in the Tippi Hendren role, but this time, she fights back with a machine gun and an army of ninjas...

And Bruce Campbell is involved in the Evil Dead remake, although he may be in another role or producing. Sam Raimi won't be directing either, but he is involved also.



posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
No originality is left, so they've decided to rape our childhood instead. Oh goody!

Bay is now getting a remake of The Hitcher done, I weep for the future.



posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
We already saw what Michael "Let's blow sh*t up" Bay did to The Amityville Horror and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I'm sure The Hitcher will be defiled too.

If you can't tell, I'm not a Michael Bay fan. A former boyfriend dragged me to see Pearl Harbor and it was the beginning of the end of the relationship when the first thing he said after three hours of torture was "Now aren't you glad we didn't go see Blow??"

But at least John Hughes seems to have some respect for our childhood--instead of remaking, he is giving us an update with "where are they now?" sequels to The Breakfast Club and 16 Candles --with the original "brat-pack" casts.



posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Ok if Bruce is there they won't F8ck it up to much. Those movies are the funniest zombie movies ever, even better then the new Dawn of the Dead with Andy sniping "celebs" and Richard Cheese Down With the Sickness.(I have his albums Tuxicity and Lounge Against the Machine.



posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
Why do film makers insist on ruining classic movies by remaking them using rediculous amounts of CGI and stoopid actors?

For example.....

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory!

Yes i may be a bit too old for it now but it was a film i loved as a child along with millions of others that loved it!
But now its been destroyed.....

Johnny Depp is a brilliant actor but he'll never be as good as the original.....

And for gods sake....THE OOMPA LOOMPAS ARENT EVEN ORANGE ANYMORE!!!!!

Theyve ruined a brilliant film!


Message to film studios.....STOP TRYING TO REKINDLE THE ORIGINAL MAGIC THAT OLD FILMS BROUGHT US!!!!!

Rant over....Bed Now!

Mic




True, that Willy Wonka is pathetic, I prefer the original! Why can't the studios and movie companies just simply re-release the movie? It would be better and some what cheaper.



posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Remakes can work,Charlie and the Chocolate factory is a good example of this, as is Batman begins. (though that isnt really a remake, more a franchise)

Also where the technology has improved a better film can be made, ergo high hopes for King Kong simply because there is more scope for telling the story.

However the Hollywood habit of remaking foriegn films and totally ruining them has to stop! No more Alfies, no more Italian jobs!



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join