It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Initiative 601 destroyed... did you know?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I think this one passed under our radars.. because I've heard absolutly nothing about this on the mainstream media and I would think they'd be all over this..

A new law passed that allows the Legislature to raise taxes with a simple majority vote for the next two years, rather than the two-thirds supermajority required by Initiative 601, which voters approved in 1993.

The law also changes the voter-approved spending limit to make it based on the 10-year-average personal income growth, roughly 5 percent a year, rather than the old growth factor of population growth plus inflation, about 3.5 percent a year under I601.

Details on the vote (Highly recommend reading this article)

As if our pockets werent hurting enough from the oil prices and economy inflation caused by the oil prices, we're now going to be severely taxed if the majority (51%) of the votes want a tax increase for whatever reason they deem. And not only that, they'll be taking even more money then before!

Maybe this isn't a real big deal.. but currently, my family of 4 is barely making ends meet renting a home and getting back and forth to work.. let alone feeding ourselves. The notion the majority (republicans) can take more taxes if they deem so, and take even more then before, gets under my skin.

I'm really beginning to wonder if this oil price spike, and recent tax law, are not a part of a bigger picture designed to keep the poor.. well.. poor forever.

Edit Add:
There are a few groups trying to fight this new law, but they're argument isnt real strong.. I'll be keeping an eye on this story..
www.effwa.org...

The lawsuit may be a long shot – even if they win, the groups have lost precious time – but it’s a shot fired in a battle worth fighting. Initiative and referendum exist to protect us from politicians who prefer to legislate without accountability.

Lawmakers often claim the mantle of leadership when they act in ways contrary to public opinion. But when they manipulate the law to deny us our right to challenge their actions, they display only arrogance.

[edit on 7/26/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I read the article and discovered it's about the state of Washington.
What we hear in Michigan, with one of the worst economies in the country, is that the rest of the country's doing just fine.
Judging from this article, you state sure isn't.

I am totally amazed at legislatures acting as if they were not answerable to the voters.

It amamzes me that they vote these things in right under our noses.

Where's the citizens' outrage??

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Most states are doing worse than you think. When I came to the great slacker state of Oregon it was far, far, FAR worse than they ever let on in the news, even their local news. Silly me. What ever happened to the idea of "Wartime Economy?" So many people thought it would be good for us, but the reality is that it hasn't been good for anyone since WWII.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
I think this one passed under our radars.. because I've heard absolutly nothing about this on the mainstream media and I would think they'd be all over this..

The law also changes the voter-approved spending limit to make it based on the 10-year-average personal income growth, roughly 5 percent a year, rather than the old growth factor of population growth plus inflation, about 3.5 percent a year under I601.

[edit on 7/26/2005 by QuietSoul]

So they're going to increase spending at a rate that is 43% more than the average worker's income increases yearly.

That's astonishingly stupid, now isn't it?

new topics

top topics

join