It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Debris falling from Shuttle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Looks like things might not be perfect for the Shuttle. But it could be just paper. Good thing they are so careful now.

news.yahoo.com
Video showed what appeared to be a large piece of debris flying off the external fuel tank two minutes into the flight. The object did not seem to hit the orbiter. Footage also showed what might have been at least two light-colored objects flying off Discovery as the shuttle cleared the launch pad.

Deputy shuttle program manager Wayne Hale raised the possibility that the light-colored objects were harmless pieces of paper that protect Discovery's thrusters before launch. But he insisted it was too soon to say what the cameras may have picked up, and he gave assurances the multitude of images will be examined frame by frame in the coming hours and days.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 27-7-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 28-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The suspected bit of debris is certainly a grave concern. i'm sure millions will be waiting for word on what it was (if anything).

One thing to add, though, is that we will not have to wait until re-entry to find out if this is going to have any effects, because the Canadarm has been fitted with a special 3D camera to inspect all surfaces on the shuttle craft before the planned return.

I've seen on CBC that the camera itself is a Canadian contribution and that makes me happy to be a part.

Let's hope it turns out to be no problem.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
From what I remember, the shuttles have never been outfitted with such cameras before, so isn't it highly possible that this was a normal thing to happen in all the other launches, we just never saw it from that angle?

I hope for the safety of all of the astronauts that it's just some papers.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Here's a thread dealing with what I'm talking about in regard to the canadarm and the camera...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

this will enable inflight inspections

[edit on 26-7-2005 by masqua]

[edit on 26-7-2005 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
C Span just carried an earlier NASA news cast and they showed the whole event in slow motion.

What ever it was did not even come close to the orbiter after it fell off the tank.

[edit on 7/26/2005 by shots]

new topics

top topics

join