It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debris falling off the shuttle Discovery.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Speaking of the Saturn V.......why didn't anything ever fall off that?

You have a tank that holds fuel. It needs to be insulated because the fuel is super cold. So you insulate them. Seems simple enough. But after one or more flights, we find out that the insulation can come off during launch, and in some cases, cause damage.

The answer is relatively easy, and I am amazed that it hasn't been brought up anywhere.

Cover up the insulation.

The Saturn V had massive fuel tanks for the launch. Those tanks were insulated too. But they were covered by the metal exterior of the rocket. Seems to me a simple metal cover for the tank would suffice.

Is it really that simple? Or is this just another case of someone not being able to own up to responsibility? Looking back on Morton-Thiokol, Boeing, Lockheed and a long list of other low-bidders, I think the latter is the case.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FLYIN HIGH
I have found a way to fix this problem with the ice and foam. I have sent NASA umpteen e-mails about a solution to this problem and cannot seem to get their attention. I have even tried to contact them and could not find anyone who would listen. If anyone here has any ideas as to how to get them to reckonize what I have been making I would be gratefull for the 411. u2u me if need be.

can you at least say what your idea is...and let use decide if its even worth Nasa's time.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FLYIN HIGH
I have found a way to fix this problem with the ice and foam. I have sent NASA umpteen e-mails about a solution to this problem and cannot seem to get their attention. I have even tried to contact them and could not find anyone who would listen. If anyone here has any ideas as to how to get them to reckonize what I have been making I would be gratefull for the 411. u2u me if need be.

Could you share that info with us.. or are you wary of it being copied in case you need/want a patent/copyright or something??

Regarding other launches:
This kind of debris happens with ALL rocket launches but there is nothing "alongside" the booster(s) to be bombarded by all this debris..

All unmanned and manned payloads are positioned athe very TOP of the rocket and so there is no question of falling debris hitting it...

I remember a similar query was raised during the Long march 4 rocket launch for the chinese manned mission..
Lots of stuff was falling of the rocket in the first 30 secs or so..

But the experts(western), when asked about this, said that this (debris) was characteristic of most launches, esp. where solid fuels were involved (cryogenics) and that was mostly the frozen accumulation of dust/water/dirt falling off..

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join