It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush May Bypass Senate On UN Post (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
President Bush may bypass Senate approval and appoint his nominee, for UN Ambassador, John Bolton, on a temporary basis, congressional aids have said. This would allow Mr. Bolton to serve until January 2007, without Senate approval. The recess appointment could come as early as Friday night, after the Senate adjourns for the month of August.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
THE White House has signalled that US President George W. Bush might bypass the Senate and appoint John Bolton, his embattled nominee for UN ambassador, to the post temporarily as hope faded for a Senate vote on the nomination.

Congressional aides said a recess appointment could be announced as early as Friday night, immediately after the Senate is scheduled to adjourn for the month-long August break.

A recess appointment would allow Mr Bolton to take up the UN post but he would serve only until January 2007.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Bush has apparently given up any hopes, of having his nominee approved, by the Senate, and if he chooses to make a recess appointment there wouldn't be much Congress could do about it. Given the controversy, in the Senate, over allegations of manipulating intelligence to support his own views, there seems little chance of a confirmation by the Senate of Mr. Bolton.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.boston.com[/ur l]
[url=http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=975965&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312]abcnews.go.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
NEWS: Bolton said to Orchestrate Unlawful Dismissal of Arms-Control Chief

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
the sysyem is being used to subvert itself. 'well, if i can't have it my way, i will use the built in loophole that says f.......wait, i'm not dick... er, i CAN have my way.'
i wonder who bush will 'appoint' next.......................

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I do not like what Bush may do in this case, I do agree something has to be done to bring this to an end. The congress etc are the ones who are refusing to do thier jobs by not discussing and voting on the nomination. Instead, they avoid it thus leaving the nomination in limbo. Why should we allow our elected "leaders" continue to do this. If they do not like the guy.... then vote him out. Not just avoid the issue.
That is ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I think Rove and Cheney purposely pick wedge issues like Bolton, or John Roberts, to distract their base from critical thinking. I mean, make an 'us or them ' issue, create a situation that forces conformation with everyone else (aka 'liberals'). So instead of a deep reflection upon Rove and Cheney failed policies, and crooked administration, people fall into the trap of: "Liberals wont' let so and so get nominated!" They picked impossible nominees, to give their base something to rally behind, and enemy to hate. They create conformation, to lead their base into a position where they must fight, out of principle, and be angry out of spite.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I hope he does do a recess appointment of John Bolton. It would be completely constitutional, not some "loop hole" or other chicanery....it's amazing how some want to read between the lines of the Constitution and invent things that aren't there while denying its plain text. :shk:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Well he's got until January 2007 to show his true colours in the U.N then. If he is a complete disaster then argument over. He cant get another recess appointment if he's shown to be a complete moron.

new topics

top topics

join