It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U of Alberta lab starts tests on hair purported to come from sasquatch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
You will have the results mid week.

The envelope containing coarse dark-brown hair arrived Monday morning at David Coltman's University of Alberta lab complete with its own wildlife export permit - clearly labelled "Sasquatch sample."

Well, we'll see, Coltman said. "We already have a fairly high confidence that it's a bison." But that won't stop Coltman and his associates from putting the hair, scooped off the forest floor in Teslin, Yukon, through rigorous DNA testing just in case it does come from the legendary creature.

"That," he said, "would be the most fantastic outcome."

The sample was plucked from the bush earlier this month close to where several people heard - and swear they saw - a large, dark, hairy creature late one evening. One person, on the way to the bathroom, told reporters the creature was standing in the brush and watching.

The DNA material will be separated from the rest of the hair with a chemical solution. Then, the order in which the various genes appear will be examined. That sequence will be compared with published sequences of other animals.

"If this is a bison, it will give us a 100 per cent match."

If the match is close, but not exact, molecular biology technician Corey Davis will create a diagram of all the organisms the sample DNA is closest to. If all the near-matches are also bison, or other related ungulates, the sample is also likely to be a bison.

If the hair doesn't match anything, it's from something new. Results are expected mid-week.

Source

U of Alberta

National post same story

Edmonton Sun same story

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
now i know they think its a Bison but...
LOL

i dont know everything ok but i was under the impression that
Bison lived on the "Plains"

they said this was from a Forest

Ive NEVER heard of a Bison running thru a Forest
have you???

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
They are like any other animal, they will use the cover for shade. Of course they will use their surrondings.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Forgive my cynicsim, but I have long since lost track of how many times I've heard that some sample was being sent off for DNA testing. Sasquatch, Nessie, alien hybrid skulls, cloned children of religious cultists...you name it.

I never seem to read report of the results of those tests.

At least give me an article claiming that the sample mysteriously disappeard, or that the lab burned down the day of the press release.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
Forgive my cynicsim, but I have long since lost track of how many times I've heard that some sample was being sent off for DNA testing. Sasquatch, Nessie, alien hybrid skulls, cloned children of religious cultists...you name it.

At least give me an article claiming that the sample mysteriously disappeard, or that the lab burned down the day of the press release.

I agree. Maybe it's alsways a case of "negative" test results (not being Sasquatch/aline/Nessie) and they just don't tell the public to spare themselves the humiliation? ***Shrug***

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
They want to "see" physical evidence of Sasquatch. Sasquatch has psychic powers to avoid humans if they desire to. All the scientists would have to do is drag out a gigantopithecus skeleton and they could see everything right there.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
May be nothing but who knows. One thing though how come they always say bigfoot is a primate. Whos to say its not its own species of an undiscovered animal.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket

The U of Alberta is a responsible school. What probably happens in most cases is that the sample is analysed, found to be an already known animal, and doesn't get much press or attention.
"Bigfoot Hair to Be analyzed" makes a good headline. "Hair belongs to Yak" doesn't.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I heard a short quib about this on the radio this morning. The radio guy also joked about finding dandruff on the hairs and a 7ft bottle of Head and Shoulders near by as well. I hope we heard some results from the testing.

[edit on 28-7-2005 by librasleep]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It's a Bison

It's a bison.

A hair sample that some claimed belonged to a sasquatch in the Yukon is actually the fur of the large mammal.

David Coltman, an University of Alberta geneticist who did a DNA test on a hair sample, confirmed that it was 100-per-cent bison. He said the DNA sample was not fresh

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Delta 38
It's a Bison

It's a bison.

Yep, also heard this on the radio. Of course they played the x-files theme in the background as they read it.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a bison is huge

its possible someone saw a bison and misidentified it

wouldnt be the first time things like that happened

oh well...bah
maybe next time folks

nothing 2 see here....move along

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
They're saying that the samples indicate it came from a bison that had already been dead for some time, the idea is that it came from a stuffed and mounted animal. IOW, a hoax from the original finders!

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Yup. It is on the CBC.

www.cbc.ca...
'Sasquatch' hair belonged to bison
A tuft of hair found near a purported sasquatch sighting in the Yukon actually came from a bison, says the Alberta scientist who tested the sample.

A wildlife geneticist at the University of Alberta, David Coltman, said on Thursday that the hair produced a "100 per cent" match with known DNA sequences for bison.

It was fun while it lasted.

[edit on 29/7/2005 by Umbrax] extra DIV

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Most of my life I have held on to hope of someone finding imperical evidence of bigfoot. I have now hit the point where i no longer beleive there is any room to beleive in this critter. what a sad day

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Nice to actually have a yes or no, though. After a dozen times of reading about samples being sent for analysis and then never hearing anything about them again...I was always left wondering if maybe the results were positive, so everything was made to dissapear.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Sasquatch my atch!

I never realized until the last couple of years how seriously some people are affected by the POS.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Hey Strianissa what is POS?

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
They are like any other animal, they will use the cover for shade. Of course they will use their surrondings.

They travel under cover of fog. Their hair grows out of their necks like it does on their heads. They have pads on their hands,for the fingers and the palm, and no hair grows there. They are deeply suspicious of even the slightest changes. They shun revealing light but are fascinated with shiny objects and bright colors. They love powdered sugar doughnuts. They move very much like the Patterson film depicts. And they whistle.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The hair is bison, not sasquatch.

Edmonton Journal

EDMONTON -- A hank of hair purported to come off Bigfoot may well have come off someone's wall instead.

"You can't fool us with a hair sample," wildlife geneticist David Coltman said Thursday in announcing the hair was from a bison.

Coltman's University of Alberta team performed DNA tests this week on the hair reportedly plucked from a bush near Teslin, Yukon, earlier this month.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join