It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bird Flu Hits Russia's Siberia Region.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Between 200 and 300 chickens and ducks have died as a result of a H5 type bird flu in a village in Siberia's Novosibirsk area. The virus has been found in four regions and it is the first time that the Avian flu has been detected in the country. No human cases have been recorded and the strain is so far not considered to be a strain of the virus that is dangerous to humans.

www.themoscowtimes.com
A disease discovered in poultry in Russia and suspected to be the country's first case of bird flu is unlikely to pose a threat to humans, a senior Health and Social Development Ministry official said on Friday.

"The disease was discovered some 10 days ago, and people who have since come into contact with the affected birds have shown no symptoms of illness. And the flu shows itself in one or two days," said Galina Lazikova, deputy chief epidemiologist.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems that daily now we are receiving new broadcasts and news of the Avian Bird Flu. Either there was never this many deaths from the disease in poultry than what we are currently seeing, or it was never reported on widely until now. Today the world is being warned of the dangers if the flu crosses strains and mutates affecting more and more humans. Now the disease in one of it's forms is being found in a country never before affected by this disease.

If there is a pandemic, what will happen? Hospitals will quickly fill, pharmacies will be stripped of medicines, ventilators will not be available to the masses people will panic and many countries already crippled health systems may collapse under the strain.

It is no wonder in light of the dangers that the world leaders are preparing, but i don't think a country could ever be fully prepared for a mass, high fatality disease pandemic.

Related News Links:
www.mosnews.com
www.abc.net.au
www.cidrap.umn.edu
www.mosnews.com

[edit on 25-7-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Yikes this is getting beyond scary :shk:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
My uncle died of West Nile Virus a couple of years back. He was up there in years and it killed him in a matter of days. I'm not sure that I fully understand the reasons why this strain of the flu is more scary than the strains we face yearly. I didn't get a flu shot last year to save vaccine for the really old folks
. I got a pretty nasty case of the flu, but I did survive, much to the disappointment of my legions of detractors. We really should not worry too much about such matters. The race will survive and will be stronger and more hardy, to boot.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Governments need a boogeyman to consolidate control.

The Republicans have terrorists, the Democrats have the economy, but the NWO needs something bigger and scarier to consolidate world power.

AIDS, SARS, Nad Cow,Avian flu...the sort of things the WHO claims jurisdiction over and responds to internationally with their people. Something so primally terrifying that people will kiss the ring at even the possibility of it happening.

Worldwide nuclear war was a good consolidator back in the day. It was something most people could be aware of but never control. A terrorist can be shot and killed. A germ, OTOH...insidious, deadly, and even your best friend can deliver it to you.

The Media and worldwide power players won't rest until we're all terrified of something-and are really upset that Bush has pre-empted world terrorism for them. This gives him bio-terrorism as well.

That's why more reports are on naturally communicated plagues or so undetectable as to be almost mystical "prion" diseases. And almost no WHO or Media announcements of easily weaponized stuff like antrax, or various pulmonary diseases out of Mexico, primarily brought by illegal immigrants.

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
My uncle died of West Nile Virus a couple of years back. He was up there in years and it killed him in a matter of days. I'm not sure that I fully understand the reasons why this strain of the flu is more scary than the strains we face yearly. I didn't get a flu shot last year to save vaccine for the really old folks
. I got a pretty nasty case of the flu, but I did survive, much to the disappointment of my legions of detractors. We really should not worry too much about such matters. The race will survive and will be stronger and more hardy, to boot.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
weird. Hit the entry once and it went in twice..sorry

[edit on 26-7-2005 by Phugedaboudet]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Quarantine imposed on all poultry farms in Russia!

RIA Novosti: URGENT: Quarantine imposed on all poultry farms in Russia

02/ 08/ 2005

A quarantine has been introduced at all poultry farms in Russia after the bird flu virus was discovered in the Novosibirsk region (Siberia), the Agriculture Ministry said.

"All the potentially dangerous facilities have been isolated and measures are being taken to curb infection," the ministry's press release said.

RIA Novosti: UPDATE: Quarantine imposed on all poultry farms in Russia

02/ 08/ 2005

The bird flu was discovered in 14 settlements in five districts of the Novosibirsk region, in a village of the Altai Territory (southern Siberia), and in a village of the Tyumen region (West Siberia).

Information is being verified in other regions where bird deaths have been reported.

The incineration of diseased birds and of birds that may have come in contact with them in a number of villages suspected of bird flu outbreaks allowed the virus to be localized.

The Federal Service for Veterinary and Phytosanitary Supervision is doing everything possible to control and eliminate the areas of infection and is taking sanitary measures, including instructing the population on rules of sanitation for poultry. Experts have been assigned to the Novosibirsk and Tyumen regions and the Altai Territory to assist in conducting epidemic countermeasures.

[edit on 2005/8/2 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The Russian Ministry for Emergency Situations is worried that the bird flu could spread from the eastern part to the western "European" part of Russia. How could it spread? Migrating wild birds...

ITAR-TASS: Ministry fears bird flu may spread to European Russia

The Russian Ministry for Emergency Situations expressed concern on Wednesday that bird flu could spread to European Russia during the autumn migration of migrating wild birds.

The ministry does not rule out that humans can also be infected, particularly staffers of poultry farms. With that in view, emergencies ministry departments as well as other concerned agencies and executive bodies in the Russian regions have been instructed to develop anti-epidemic measures, including to monitor the circulation of flu virus in birds migrating across Russia.

According to the Ministry for Emergency Situations, 4,035 wild and domestic birds have died of bird flu in the Novosibirsk, Omsk, Altai and Tyumen regions.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Updates

Scientist now say the Bird Flu will hit Europe

MOSCOW — Russian authorities, struggling to contain an outbreak of avian flu that has killed thousands of birds in Siberia, acknowledged Thursday that a spread of the virus into Europe seemed almost inevitable.

"It is quite likely that the flu will creep westward. What else can it do? The infection is picking up momentum," said Viktor Maleyev, deputy director of the Russian Health Ministry's Institute of Epidemiology.

Equally worrisome, health officials confirmed that the outbreak included H5N1, a strain that has been known to affect humans. Scientists fear that expansion of the virus' terrain increases the risk of a major outbreak within the human population.

Although there have been isolated cases of avian flu around the world, including in the U.S., the most dangerous strain of the virus has appeared mostly in Asia, with human cases reported in Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand and Cambodia.

News Update Click Here

top topics

join