It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 Breakthrough!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I don't recall the thread title, but there's been speculation here that the Raptor could only fire ordinance at subsonic speeds; it seems that is no longer true:

www.af.mil...

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Wow, I had no idea that the F-22 was capable of such performance. The tactical implications of dropping ordinance at super-sonic speeds are enormous. Add in the fact that the F-22 can do supercruise and you've got a very fast fighter. I can imagine, the speed, combined with the stealth abilities will make the F-22 very very hard to intercept.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The thread was called 'Raptor's Fatal Flaw" and for 8 pages would go on to explain how the Raptor actually could launch missiles from supersonic speeds, as it has performed several tests with the AIM 9 and AIM 120.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Wow... look as that the bay flaps are not being ripped of the aircraft! And to think that thread went on for 8 pages.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Wow... look as that the bay flaps are not being ripped of the aircraft! And to think that thread went on for 8 pages.

Technically it went on for about 2, then a few members(Who will not be named here) decided to take it upon themselves and turn it into a "This aircraft is better than that" thread.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
You guys and that cryptic intelligence code wording.

For those members that are wondering about the topic thread being mentioned, this is the one.

I do believe that the member that started the thread did so with legit intentions and thought in mind. It was a very good topic (
) till it was hijacked.

seekerof

[edit on 25-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Well think about this logically. Why would the Air Force call for a stealth air superiority fighter that could kick ass in the sky and still maintain its stealth characteristics and then pick a winner that couldn't fire its missiles at full speed? It just seems rediculous to think otherwise.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Wait, you guys are missing the point of the article:

This test is a big deal NOT because it can open its doors at speed, thats ALWAYS been the case. This test is a big deal because it can drop guided GROUND ordinance from speed.

I thought it was all but chiseled in granite that it could fire air to air at speed.

Imagine doing bombing runs, nearly invisible to radar AND flying at mach 1.5+? Thats the big deal here.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Orrsum find Realist05

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Wait, you guys are missing the point of the article:

This test is a big deal NOT because it can open its doors at speed, thats ALWAYS been the case. This test is a big deal because it can drop guided GROUND ordinance from speed.

I thought it was all but chiseled in granite that it could fire air to air at speed.

Imagine doing bombing runs, nearly invisible to radar AND flying at mach 1.5+? Thats the big deal here.

Again, I always assumed the F-22 would be able to drop ordinance at supersonic. But I guess I just had faith in the airframe.

top topics

join