It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Vandals Torch 20 U.S. Flags, Car

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If that's the case, then there's no problem with burning a cross on an african american family's yard? after all, nobody got hurt?

Bah.

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Y'all are talking like you want to castrate and quarter the perp!

It's not that bad of a crime, nobody got hurt. That's the important thing.

I hope they find whoever is responsible and see that justice is done. I'd say a decade in county is an acceptable punishment for vandalism, reckless endangerment, destruction of private property, causing emotional distress, arson, and creating a drain on public resources (fire dept. etc.).

Don't allow patriotism to cloud your judgement. This person was obviously acting without regard for the wellbeing of their fellow citizens, and should be punished severely, however, if it was up to some folks this criminal would be shot in the public square. I think that's a bit much.

Like I said, 10 years in lock-up will provide the idiot with plenty of time for reflection. Maybe when they get out they will be able to respect their community and their fellow citizens.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Repulsive, loathesome behavior.

I am as opposed to the Iraq War as anyone, but vandalizing memorials to some poor dead soldier (he didn't start the damn war) is precisely the wrong way to go about opposing it.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
phuge
Huh? When did I say the behavior was acceptable? I said that a decade was a good sentence, to match the severity of the crime.

I would take issue with a burning cross on my lawn, that goes without saying.

I think a sentence of 10 years would be a bit harsh though, perhaps 5 for that behavior (burning crosses). The extra 5 were warranted in this case because of the destruction of the car and the potential for serious injury resulting from the car fire. IMO.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
If that's the case, then there's no problem with burning a cross on an african american family's yard? after all, nobody got hurt?
As crimes go, its not nice but its not that bad. There are lots and lots of things far worse. For example an every day mugging or car theft.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
So torching someone's car is not as bad as stealing someone's car and torching someone's car with the memeorial to a loved one is not as bad as stealing someone's car or even a mugging. You're some piece of work.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This is on one hand, quite disturbing.
However, like Valhall, I am lifted up by this and quite glad to see the 20 replaced with 200.
Thank God for freedom.
Amen.

and thanks for reporting this story

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
So torching someone's car is not as bad as stealing someone's car and torching someone's car with the memeorial to a loved one is not as bad as stealing someone's car or even a mugging. You're some piece of work.

No, torching a car isnt worth 10 years. Burning a cross isnt worth as much as a physical assualt or theft of a valuable possession.

If someone burns a cross or destroys a memorial, what are you going to charge them with that would give them 10 years in prison? If you destroy a memorial, its only vandalism unless you let emotion cloud your judgements.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
10 years? Rapists and murderers dont even get that.

Dont let emotion get you carried away, yeah it was a #ty thing to do but as crimes go, it was nothing.

It was a tacky thing to have the flags there anyway.

Edit: Nasty insults removed. Snip!

[edit on 26-7-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
No, Flyer has a point.

This is a sad thing they did but firstly we do not know why they did it. We assume it was over the Iraq War - what if it isn't?

They could have also done a lot worse to the family, rape, burglary, murder, etc.

Ten years is a long time and will only cost the state a lot of money - why waste it on them? They could be put to use doing something that would hurt them a lot more than prison will.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Odium

This is one situation where your opinion is unnecessary and offensive. This is an issue about Americans and for Americans. The law will deal with these idiots if and when they are found. All the rhetoric here won't make any difference. For myself, summary execution would be justified, but our laws don't work that way.

[edit on 2005/7/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Grady
Odium's opinion is offensive to ATSNN, but GroinGrinder's is okey-dokey?

You'd excecute flag burners and widow-frighteners?

I'll say this, you were spot on about our rhetoric not mattering. Thank God for that...

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Odium

This is one situation where your opinon is unecessary and offensvie. This is an issue about Americans and for Americans. The law will deal with these idiots if and when they are found. All the rhetoric here won't make any difference. For myself, summary execution would be justified, but our laws don't work that way.

Oh well, glad your Government thinks I'm able to work as a lawyer in 49 states.

My comment is just as valid as anyones, just because you dislike it doesn't make it any less valid.

Since I am also part American (Native) and have family over there, why can't I comment?

Or are you going to stop commenting on the rest of the World and only on America?

Also where is it offencive? I only stated I don't think they should go to prison, there is a lot worse that can be done to them than prison.

[edit on 26/7/2005 by Odium]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Grady
Odium's opinion is offensive to ATSNN, but GroinGrinder's is okey-dokey?

I don't approve of groingrinder's post and actually asked him to remove it to spare him the wrath of the mods over such an utterly stupid post. If you want to know the truth, I think the death penalty should be meted out for a heck of a lot more than what you call flag-burners and widow-frighteners.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Fair enough, sorry to have jumped the gun. I didn't see a public condemnation, so assumed the worse. Mea culpa.

Just for the sake of argument, where do you draw the line for the death penalty?

I see it as being a reward for bad behavior. Death is a pleasurable experience, unlike life in a cage.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Instead of killing people like this or making them rot away and costing the state money why not put them to work?

Say the person has a 9 till 5 job or is at school during those hours, 6 till 11 every night for X amount of years doing something the rest of society does not want. Like street cleaning, etc.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The death penalty is not a punishment. It is a guarantee that that individual will no longer pollute the environment with his acts or his seed.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   

The death penalty is not a punishment. It is a guarantee that that individual will no longer pollute the environment with his acts or his seed.

But where is the line?

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Instead of killing people like this or making them rot away and costing the state money why not put them to work?

Say the person has a 9 till 5 job or is at school during those hours, 6 till 11 every night for X amount of years doing something the rest of society does not want. Like street cleaning, etc.

You're discussing community service and if these vermin are caught they might have gotten off with some community service, if they turned out to be stupid kids and if they hadn't burned an automobile. There is at least one felony here and given the particularly odious nature of the acts, I think they will get prison time, if they are caught. They deserve it and they aren't going to bust the system, either.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
But the amount of people add up.

In the U.K. alone over 10million per-year gets spent on murders, who should be put to death.

Over 5million on minor drug offences in prison, etc.

And yet things like this and drugs, as well as many others are better served by punishing them in a way that isn't prison time. If they are doing this as an act of outrage against the Government make them work for the Government they hate instead of costing the Government money.

Prison will only make people like this worse, it is why there is such a high reoffender rate.

[edit on 26/7/2005 by Odium]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Okay, we'll reform the justice and penal systems the day these swine are released from prison. That would add insult to injury, which is exactly what they dd to their victims.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join