It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would one destroy a M1 Abrams MBT?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
How Id do it?

a) Eurofighter/Tornado dropping bomb or shooting missile onto it
b) Using a PARS III LR rocket of a Tiger
c) Using a 120mm shell out of the Rheinmetall L55 cannon out of an Leopard IIA6M
d) Using PARS III MR from either a light tank or a wheeled vehicle (a Dingo II, Wolf or something)
e) Using SMArt 155mm artillery shells, which have three aim-seeking projectiles that go trough the top.
f) Using the ADW Area Defence Mine

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vass
The ERYX system penetrates, almost goes right through it.

For that the ERYX would need
- a penetrator, which is doesnt have, its a Tandem shaped charges high explosive warhead,

and/or

- a high velocity, which it doesnt have at a max speed of 245 m/s

and/or

- a large mass, which it doesnt have at a weight below 10 kg (warhead weighs 5 kg)

[edit on 25/7/2005 by Lonestar24]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
lonestar,
so your telling me that when I was being trained on the ERYX, that I did not actually witness the fact that it does penetrate?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
the question wasnt about the insurgency, it was about the weakness of the abrams. if the united states ever finds itself in a full scale conflict against a powerful enemy tanks wont always be protected

[edit on 25-7-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyboy211
Just curious really as the impression i have is that it's 'virtually' indestructible. How much punishment can a M1 take? Where are it's weak & strong points? What types of situations is it best used? Which ones is it not best used for?

[edit on 25/7/05 by Flyboy211]

Sounds to me very much like someone trying to get info for other purposes...

I'm sure 'weak points' aren't something the military wants let out. Hell, I KNOW the weak points of a Blackhawk (hell I know where the STRONGEST point is). I'm sure that anyone who knows this information is bound by DoD SA (if thats whats its called State-side.

I'll quote from my Department of Defence Security guidelines:

.....Remember - Never discuss military, naval or air matters in public with any stranger, no matter what nationality he or she may belong.

The enemy wants information about you, your unit, your destination. He will do his utmost to discover this

Keep him in the dark. Gossip on military subjects is highly dangerous to the country whereas secrecy leads to success.....

Yes - I am a hopocrate sometimes, but straight out asking for weaknesses is suss.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow
I would use a rpg, with a small nuke inside the rpg, that would be enough.

And you would get this where?

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekial

Originally posted by ulshadow
I would use a rpg, with a small nuke inside the rpg, that would be enough.

And you would get this where?

LOL

tactical nuke against an M1Abrams... kind of overkill, dont you think?

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
actually i would put money on a 0.01 kt warhead NOT penetrating the armour - now the prompt radiation effects are a different matter.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wodan

LOL

tactical nuke against an M1Abrams... kind of overkill, dont you think?

Someone asks how to destory a M1 abrams tank so i said use a rpg with a small nuke in it to ensure that it will be destoryed

M6D

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
RPG's as people have said to various spots on the armour, or the russian KORNET that some believe is been used by some insugrants, would penetrate, anyway, RPG to engine block, or side armour on abrams would potentially disable.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Plenty of Abrams have been destroyed in Iraq by simple RPGs to side and rear...though it may take a lot of shots and you don't live very long afterwards.

No tank is 'invulnerable', though tankers may like to give that impression. As has been pointed out elsewhere, there are many easy ways to destroy a tank - if you can get close enough.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
How do you kill Hannibal's elephants?

You starve them. Cut off their supplies.

You attack their support personnel.

Back in hannibal's day it was the pikers that guard the elephant's belly. Today it is the helicopter that suppresses rpg fire.

Enough attacks on fuel depots, parts warehouses, and maintenance yards begin to have a chilling effect on morale.

In the words of Lao Tzu, you don't attack the enemies strength (the tank); instead you attack his weakness. Dependence on fuel and parts, dependence on air and infantry support.

"attack the driven machine" means that you do some surveillance, and attack shipments of haudraulic fluid, etc. that allows the tank to function properly.

Landmines are also pretty effective, since they force tankers to try and arm the underside of the beast, which doesn't change RPG concerns, but weighs the whole monster down.

Tactics call for drawing tanks into unfavorable terrain. I understand that Iraq is full of muddy areas, and bridges that won't support a fighting veh's tonnage. I'd try to use the driver's dislike of that terrain to psych advantage. Tank people always talk like the modern machine makes terrain irrelevant; which is silly.

M6D

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Oh, but do remember, abrams tank underside armour, cannot be penetrated by coventional landmines, in all incidents, they were improvised, in one, three landmines stacked on top of each other, and in another, several 155mm arty shells in a IED.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
First person to say "There was explosives in that tank" I will slap. We all know that. It does not matter. The warhead would have to go through the armour to reach the explosives.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   

c) Using a 120mm shell out of the Rheinmetall L55 cannon out of an Leopard IIA6M

This may not work, the DM53 penetrates 810mm at 2km, while the M1A2SEP's frontal armor is rated at 960mm.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kozzy

This may not work, the DM53 penetrates 810mm at 2km, while the M1A2SEP's frontal armor is rated at 960mm.

In war case, why not using DU-Ammo? (Yes, its no problem to use DU-Ammo in a Leopard 2)

DM53 uses tungsten...
Where did you hear that 2km thingy?

for others:

DM53 120mm KE Projectile (Rheinmetall)
The DM53 round was designed to maximize the performance of KE projectiles fired from 120mm smoothbore guns such as the L44 (15% improvement) or L55 (30% improvement in muzzle energy). The DM53 is in service with the German, Swiss and Netherlands Armies. The complete round weighs 21.4kg, the projectile (with sabot) weighs 8.35kg and propellant: 8.9kg. The projectile's length is 745mm, and with chamner pressure of 5,450 generated during firing, the muzzle velocity is 1,750 m/sec (L55 barrel) and 1,670 m/sec. (L44 barrel). The DM53 has been optimized to lass than 0.2 mil accuracy.

[edit on 28-7-2005 by Wodan]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Probably from these [linked below mentions] Wodan, among a number of other online materials, like TankNET, etc.
How strong is the M1M2 armor?
Can the M1A2 Abrams be ousted or replaced?
Merkava Mk4 vs. Abrams M1A2

seekerof

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Probably from these [linked below mentions] Wodan, among a number of other online materials, like TankNET, etc.
How strong is the M1M2 armor?
Can the M1A2 Abrams be ousted or replaced?
Merkava Mk4 vs. Abrams M1A2

seekerof

and where is there something about DM52 to read?

if you mean this:

If that's it, the round gets 810mm at 2km (from an L55) while the M289A3 gets 960mm at 2km.

Thats no valid source...

[edit on 28-7-2005 by Wodan]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Isnt the M1A2 frontal armor rated to be as strong as 1200 mm steel?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join