It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why you should NEVER change your avatar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I think that it is potentally dangerous to your socail status on ATS/BTS to change your avatar. I believe that, like me, many members on ATS/BTS associate members by their avatars and not names. I know that when I go read a post I see the avatars first then look at the name. I also get utterly confused when ATS/BTS gets put on feature discrimination mode because of high traffic. I can never know who is who. I guess its just that I'm proablly autstic... NO!!!

any way I think that if you want members to remember you more then you should have a top notch and distinguishable one of a kind avatar. or put your name in it... thats a easy way for me to remember your name.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I've been using dark (aka black) based avatars for a while but I've recently switched to using yellow instead.
The colours will proberly stay the same but the avatars may switch.

But I agree I look at the colours and avatar before the name.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I guess you don't like my new CGI program that selects a random avatar for every request.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Im never changing mine.....

I love it!

Once again, cheers JAK!

Mic

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
lawlz

I judge people by their avatars.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Would that be like telling someone not to change their clothes because you identify them by what they wear and not by how they are now smelling like?

Would that be like telling someone not to wear colored contacts because you identify them by the color of their eyes?

Oh, oppps, we are talking about the internet, where one is more identified by how they post and comment versus what background color they are using or what avatar-of-the-day they have up, sorry.

Some of us like toy with others 'identification and association' skills by changing our avatars on a near daily basis.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
And then there are stubborn people like myself that just don't use an avatar or background colour.

I'm just a little too lazy to be bothered....

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
how can i judge nothing?

:p

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Since when has lack of evidence ever stopped anyone from judging someone????

I just leave it all to your overly active imagination Lysergic. I'm sure you'll come up with something great.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Don't believe the lies. You ARE your avatar. As you can see, I have some demonic possession issues...but I'm working on it.

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS THEE!!

[edit on 2005-7-25 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I change my avatar/background all the time. Mainly because I love expressing my artistic side and working with photoshop.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I dont really judge people by their art... i have seen members who have very cool avatars and whose views on several subjects i totally disagree...
One's taste in Avatar art, doesnt always match their oppinions...for example i dont walk around in corsets (yes i know...many are dissapointed by this...lol), but i enjoyed working on it .

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I usually look at people avatars first. I think avatars can definetly tell you what the person is like, if a person has a video game character on his/her avatar, that tells me that the person likes video games, or if they have a band's name on it, they must like that band or that genre of music, etc. Just what I think though.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
It is the way the mind works, we can "see" the avatar when we are not looking directly at it, and link it to the name we know. Instead of having to actaully read the name

SOmetimes it is the same way with signatures

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Some of us like toy with others 'identification and association' skills by changing our avatars on a near daily basis.

seekerof

What a flip-flopper.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Don't like my avatar? Refresh the page for another one. I usually do them in themes, so it's not that big of a deal for them to change from post to post. I'm seriously considering having a different avatar for BTS and ATS. Now that could be interesting.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I change like every 3 days.

Hmmm...about due now actually...

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
You know what would be potentialy great fun?

If we would swap avatars amongst eachother, specially the more "famous" members with distinct avatars, and see how people react to that.

Imagine Seekerof posting around wearing MA's avatar. Would it confuse anyone? Would they look at the avatar or the name?
Ahhh, how I would love to conduct unapproved, illegal, psycho experiments on you people

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
paperclip

My wife wore the same mask for a while when she used to post here, and the confusion you predict did occur. Her User ID reads a little more like mine too.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Sounds like a fun April fools gag

I change my avatar often I guess. I'd like to think that my avatars all sort of have a 'Umbrax' style.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join