It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parental Advisory: Same Sex Marriage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I was watching the beginning of the Simpsons just now and before the episode started, Fox gave the warning: Same Sex Marriage is shown in this episode, Parental Discretion is Advised. People must be really paranoid to be concerned about their kids such things. I mean, you hear about same sex marriage all the time in the news.

This leads me to think that the only reason it is a problem to show in the Simpsons is that it portrays it in a generally accepting way.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Do you know what other countries have problems with religous nuts trying to "protect" their children the immorality of same sex marriage and breasts?

Saudia Arabia is one. Their society treats these issues similarly as does the US's. You can bet your behind that if the Christians had their way you'd be getting beheaded for adultary( if you are female that is) or homosexuality too.
Shows like the Simpsons have to protect themselves against the fanatical right wing nutters.
The government happily wastes time and money to go after these immoral tv shows and video games keeping we the people preoccupied while they continue waging an illegal war.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I think they stone you if you're an adulterer. At least, according to the Bible that's what you're supposed to do.

There's been a lot of countries throughout history that had same sex legitimate partnerships and it didn't seem to cause any sort of apocalyptic revenge on the countries or their people. I'll be glad when the Religious Reich gets their nose out of who marries whom (last time it was "No Mixed Race Marriages!!!!") and finds something worthier to address...

...like teaching young men that preventing pregnancy during sex is THEIR responsibility.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Are you sure that it wasn't meant to be a joke? I wouldn't be surprised if the Simpsons were just poking fun at the extreme religious nuts by putting that warning on there. They tend to poke fun at the whole religion genre.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
So am I to understand that, if it is absloutly acceptable by your own morality, it should be by everyone elses, as well, and if someone doesn't fit in with this universal morality of yours, they should be mocked, forced to sit down and watch acts of homosexual love (some "diversity" training for people deemed "homophobes" is done this way) along with anything else their morality doesn't synch up with.

This is quite amusing. Christianity is getting slammed for being intollerant. The amusing part is, some of the most intollerant people are slamming Christianity for its apparent intollerance.

Some people have a problem with vulgar language. Some people have a problem with sexually suggestive material. Some people have a problem with violence. We have warnings on the TV for those people. They've accepted, for the most part, that the duty is thiers -- if they don't want to see it, they can turn it off. Well, guess what: some people have a problem with homosexuality. Why shouldn't those people be afforded the same right as people who don't like to see violence on TV?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
So am I to understand that, if it is absloutly acceptable by your own morality, it should be by everyone elses, as well, and if someone doesn't fit in with this universal morality of yours, they should be mocked, forced to sit down and watch acts of homosexual love (some "diversity" training for people deemed "homophobes" is done this way) along with anything else their morality doesn't synch up with.

This is quite amusing. Christianity is getting slammed for being intollerant. The amusing part is, some of the most intollerant people are slamming Christianity for its apparent intollerance.

Some people have a problem with vulgar language. Some people have a problem with sexually suggestive material. Some people have a problem with violence. We have warnings on the TV for those people. They've accepted, for the most part, that the duty is thiers -- if they don't want to see it, they can turn it off. Well, guess what: some people have a problem with homosexuality. Why shouldn't those people be afforded the same right as people who don't like to see violence on TV?

what exactly is your point? we tolerate christianity, so we make jokes about it all we want.

[edit on 25-7-2005 by Davood]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Well, guess what: some people have a problem with homosexuality. Why shouldn't those people be afforded the same right as people who don't like to see violence on TV?

Why wouldn't homosexuality be covered simply by "adult situations" or "sexually suggestive"?

Perhaps the point is that it's being singled out - it's not illegal, so exactly why does it need a classification other than "sexually suggestive"?

If it offends you - don't watch the show. It's that simple. But moreover, don't stigmatise an act that's completely legal between two consenting adults.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Er..Davood, I don't follow. My point was that the parental advisories are to parents who could have a problem with the content they're about to watch and can protect their children from it. It happens that homosexuality bothers some people, and they may not want their children to watch something like that. So what's wrong with a parental advisory?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I think mpeake is onto it. Its a joke. as in ha ha joke.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Er..Davood, I don't follow. My point was that the parental advisories are to parents who could have a problem with the content they're about to watch and can protect their children from it. It happens that homosexuality bothers some people, and they may not want their children to watch something like that. So what's wrong with a parental advisory?

Nothing is wrong with it, but they should start putting advisories for any show involving religion saying something like "Everything in this show is not real, its all been made up"

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Davood
Nothing is wrong with it, but they should start putting advisories for any show involving religion saying something like "Everything in this show is not real, its all been made up"

Yep, no opinion thrown into that advisory, eh?

EDIT: I didn't really take the show this showed up on into account. I'm going to have to agree, it's a joke courtesy of The Simpsons.

[edit on 7-25-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
JJ, you realize the nutjob christians wanted "The Davinci Code" banned for spreading lies. IT IS IN THE FICTION SECTION!!!!!!!! WTF? Christians have nothing better to do then complain about a fiction book being made up??? Wha??????

Get this people, they are complaining about a book, a fiction(not real/based on real things but made up) book because it isn't the truth.....

Also, they are boycotting Harry Potter 6 by BUYING every book they can and burning them. That's right, they think a boycott is buying it then destroying it. Christians are so "un-smart" they don't understand the concept of a boycott. YOU don't Buy the PRODUCT!!! If you buy it then destroy it, the company/person still makes the money.

So I can understand Fox being worried by the same people who boycott a book by buying millions of them and want a book banned for being wrong when it is a Fiction book.

Although, didn't like the episode, except for the part about Homer becoming a minister and later on about "What? Marry a man and a woman?"

Christians need to stop burning everything they don't like, get a real hobby, like stamp collecting or ATS......

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
James, I was raised Christian, just not practicing. If I was practicing I would be quite offended by your post.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
JJ, you realize the nutjob christians wanted "The Davinci Code" banned for spreading lies. IT IS IN THE FICTION SECTION!!!!!!!! WTF? Christians have nothing better to do then complain about a fiction book being made up??? Wha??????
Christians need to stop burning everything they don't like, get a real hobby, like stamp collecting or ATS......

And nonChristians need to realize that just because someone claims they are doing something in the name of a religion doesn't mean everyone in that religion must agree with them.

I hadn't heard about the Harry Potter book, that has got to be one of the stupidest ways to try to make a statement I've ever heard. "We'll keep them from making another book by making sure it makes the best sellers list by buying out the entire first run!" Goooooooood plan

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
...because a child is never to young to be taught prejudice.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
There was no gay wedding anyways. Patty's girl friend turned out to be a guy and the wedding was called off.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
wow, some people are making way to big a deal about a 3 second long statement and visual.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
There was no gay wedding anyways. Patty's girl friend turned out to be a guy and the wedding was called off.

I really wish I could access a TV around 7 PM on Sundays...I'm missing The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad and South Park! I suppose I'm also missing whatever Fox puts on at 7:30, or other stations, since SP isn't on FOX. The Simpsons are so great...

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indellkoffer
I think they stone you if you're an adulterer. At least, according to the Bible that's what you're supposed to do.

We critisize the sweet jesus out of muslims for acting on their holy book's commandments. Truth is, the Bible has very similiar commandments and worse.
I have no intrest in an inclusionistic god with his archaic and spiteful rules and regulations.
I respect your right to practice your religion. I believe in a society where your religion should have no bearing on policy.
Instead we have a president who caters to the religous right and some liberals who now think they have to do the same thing. Inmy heart of hearts I do not believe that is what the founding fathers had in mind

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser

Get this people, they are complaining about a book, a fiction(not real/based on real things but made up) book because it isn't the truth.....

Also, they are boycotting Harry Potter 6 by BUYING every book they can and burning them. That's right, they think a boycott is buying it then destroying it. Christians are so "un-smart" they don't understand the concept of a boycott. YOU don't Buy the PRODUCT!!! If you buy it then destroy it, the company/person still makes the money.

So I can understand Fox being worried by the same people who boycott a book by buying millions of them and want a book banned for being wrong when it is a Fiction book.

Although, didn't like the episode, except for the part about Homer becoming a minister and later on about "What? Marry a man and a woman?"

Hence why I say we should warn people if tv shows have religious content, since their way of thinking makes everything ELSE seem bad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join