It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

are there really unicorns

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I was wondering if there are really unicorns? I heard that they are actually the product of the devil and that they were denied entry on noahs ark. Is this true?




posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Wha?

As far as I know, they don't exist.



posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Hello ohiostate416,

bc from Mich State] Yes in fact there are! It's an interesting story and relates to the Nascan figures.

On the side of the mountain [where you'll find the so called astronaut] you'll find dozens of animals and fish that have been carved as though in real life. Much has been done to see that no one knows of it .. but they are there none the less.

Many of the animals are bovine, and one in particular is shown with a single horn or antler. This mountain was worshipped in ancient times and is mentioned in the "The Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Texts," as the Mansion of Life

bc
.



posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I watched a tv documentary recently about the real animals behind the mythical creatures and the unicorn was mentioned. An animal with a single horn projecting from the centre of its forehead, which is the universally accepted definition of a unicorn, was shown to be a prehistoric reality. The giant mammal Elasmotherium flourished on the Eurasian continent particularly southeastern Russia, Mongolia and northern China. It was even larger than a modern day elephant and had a single horn which grew from the centre of its forehead and measured up to two metres in length.

This real unicorn was a species of rhinoceros. It had no nose horn, but instead an immense horn on the forehead: it grew to a length of two metres. This animal was thus a `unicorn`.

It is believed that early encounters with this creature were the basis of stories about the unicorn. Over time these memories became legends which faded into myth.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.enchantedlearning.com...

[edit on 24/7/05 by Magenta]



posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
that made the most sence about unicorns. I never put the rhino and unicorn together it is so simple.


YOU ROCK



posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohiostate416
I was wondering if there are really unicorns? I heard that they are actually the product of the devil and that they were denied entry on noahs ark. Is this true?


odin killed all the unicorns



posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The Narwhal is given some credit for being the origin of the unicorn myth.Narwhal

Scroll down the page till you come to the section on the narwhal myths. It states that the 'tusk' would wash up on shore after the narwhal died, and for some reason it was supposed to come from a horse-like animal.....the unicorn.

The photo shows the 'twist' you often see in drawings of unicorns.

[edit on 24-7-2005 by frayed1]



posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
if there was man would of killed them off by now.



posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I believe there very well could have been a species of Horses that grew a horn, no magical properties though.

A Unicorn horse seems plausible enough...

Did it exist? well if they find the fossils we will know for sure...

Hobbits existed



posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohiostate416
I heard that they are actually the product of the devil and that they were denied entry on noahs ark. Is this true?


What I was told when I was younger (like..7 or so) was that the unicorns where busy playing and didn't make it on time (so..the ark left with out em)

But my opinion? ...I'd go with the rhino



posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
or maybe unicorns weren't alowed to take their horns with they and became horses
hahaha
sure
i like the rhino
or it could be a hippo
hippo means water horse
whatever



posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Actually, There is somewhere, an account which i heard of a farmer who clipped the horn buds off a baby goats, and embedded it in0to the foreheads of horses. Now some of them grew spirally, but some of them apparently grew straight.

Could the bud have used the horse to keep growing? I cant find an online source. can anyone?

EDIT: actually heres the story must have been passed along and changed. Theres a quote here

A farmer and a circus owner also produced fake unicorns, remodelling the "horn buttons" of goat kids, in such a way their horns grew deformed and joined in a grotesque seemingly single horn.


So it was only a goat they deformed.....any news on the horse thing cause that would have been cooler.


[edit on 5-8-2005 by Shadow88]



posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The horn of the Narwhale was often sold as Unicorn horn, in the Middle Ages. I'm not sure of the origin of the horse connection, but it seems that a physical horn would certainly reinforce the tale, and allow it to perpetuate into folklore.

The horn budding bit was used for the Unicorn attraction of the Barnum and Bailey Circus some years ago.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by Morzikaga]



posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
ok thats it i will buy a horse, embed a baby goat horn and prove it to you!



posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
myth.....legend.......beautiful and wonderous, but no basis in reality.


and as for the elasmotherium.....um....no






posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morzikaga
The horn of the Narwhale was often sold as Unicorn horn, in the Middle Ages. I'm not sure of the origin of the horse connection, but it seems that a physical horn would certainly reinforce the tale, and allow it to perpetuate into folklore.

The horn budding bit was used for the Unicorn attraction of the Barnum and Bailey Circus some years ago.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by Morzikaga]


I've heard of that too. And of course, since "unicorn horns" were a cure-all for illness, you have to imagine that they were pretty expensive and hard to fin, which probably only aided in perpetuating the myth connecting narwhales and unicorns.



posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by beforebc
Hello ohiostate416,

bc from Mich State] Yes in fact there are! It's an interesting story and relates to the Nascan figures.

On the side of the mountain [where you'll find the so called astronaut] you'll find dozens of animals and fish that have been carved as though in real life. Much has been done to see that no one knows of it .. but they are there none the less.

Many of the animals are bovine, and one in particular is shown with a single horn or antler. This mountain was worshipped in ancient times and is mentioned in the "The Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Texts," as the Mansion of Life

bc
.


I've heard of these and many other ancient depictions of "unicorns," but I personally don't see them as proof of unicorns' existance. Afterall, many of these images capture the animal from the side, and even looking at an antelope from the side, you only see one horn. Aside from that, many animals shed their horns, sometimes one at a time, so it could have been something along those lines as well.



posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magenta
I watched a tv documentary recently about the real animals behind the mythical creatures and the unicorn was mentioned. An animal with a single horn projecting from the centre of its forehead, which is the universally accepted definition of a unicorn, was shown to be a prehistoric reality. The giant mammal Elasmotherium flourished on the Eurasian continent particularly southeastern Russia, Mongolia and northern China. It was even larger than a modern day elephant and had a single horn which grew from the centre of its forehead and measured up to two metres in length.

This real unicorn was a species of rhinoceros. It had no nose horn, but instead an immense horn on the forehead: it grew to a length of two metres. This animal was thus a `unicorn`.

It is believed that early encounters with this creature were the basis of stories about the unicorn. Over time these memories became legends which faded into myth.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.enchantedlearning.com...

[edit on 24/7/05 by Magenta]


There are actually reports in very ancient times of people seeing animals that match that description, though I don't think you're going to be able to twist the image of a rhino and the stereotypical unicorn together. Unicorns were typically depicted as being much more horse or antelope-like. IT's hard to confuse the bulk of a rhino with the slender legs of a horse or antelope.



posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I believe there very well could have been a species of Horses that grew a horn, no magical properties though.

A Unicorn horse seems plausible enough...

Did it exist? well if they find the fossils we will know for sure...

Hobbits existed


Although as far as I know no members of the horse family grow horns, it could have been a species of antelope or cow.



posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Maybe Homeland Security was in it's beta phaze during the Ark building and the horns were considered a weapon so they had to leave them behind and the horse was born?

Or maybe the Ark is just another one of the Bibles stories that shouldn't be taken literally? (apparently there's a couple stories like that in the bible).

Of all the Noah stories, i've yet to see one that explains how he re-distributed all the animals to the corners of the world after the flood died down.

Noah's Ark isn't even a Christian story, it's another one that was lifted from historical fabel. It's a flood story, not a "God gave a man a job to save all the animals story" as it's become now.

Some other historical versions are: The Ziusudra Epic, The Atrahasis Epic, The Epic of Gilgamesh, Genesis 6-9, The Berossus History, and The Moses of Khoren.

The original story was of a six day flood on the Euphrates River, circa 2900BC. Noah (real name Ziusudra, a known king of the Sumerian city-state Shuruppak) and his family were caught in the flood and road it down the river into the Persian Gulf on Noah's commercial river barge. They drift for nearly a year and eventually ground in an estuary near the mouth of the river.

From there the story evolved and was retold until a few thousand years later when the bible was put together and it was made into a fantical tale of God ordering a man to save all life on Earth before he floods it.







 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join