It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defeating 'Terror'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2002 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Out of curiosity, how do most people see the 'War on Terror' drawing to an end?

Or do people ever invisage an end?

Personally, I can only see two ways the west (and the US in particular) can overcome the hatred directed at it by many many people from all over the world.

The first is good old fashioned genocide, kill them all and let god sort them out, etc.

The second, and really the only realistic one in this day and age, is money. Cold hard cash. Sure we can attack and take out their leadership, military and infrastructure, but then what? We leave a battered poor country to fend for itself, with a whole new generation of people with good reason to hate us.

Even now this is showing signs of happening in Afghanistan.

As far as Iraq goes, in attacking Iraq, the US will likely piss off almost every arab muslim in the gulf. Creating a lovely new breeding ground for terrorism. Perhaps by pumping billions of dollars into the Iraqi economy after installing a democratic govt, we can head off some of the ill will towards the west.

Simply running in there to kill whoever seems threatening to us is not the way to earn the respect/goodwill of the int'l community. It is far more detrimental to the true objective of the war on terror.

Anyone able to make sense of that rant?

posted on Sep, 14 2002 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Yup, Kano. I feel your confusion on this one. But what are we to do, kiss and hug the little bastards? Nope, we gotta blast'em, slap'em around a bit, knock off a leader or two, and then spend trillions making the survivors act as if they like us.
Buying friends can work, I mean, look at Egypt. Egypt likes us, now. That's why we won't have to whip them. They are the best fake friends money can buy!

[Edited on 15-9-2002 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Sep, 14 2002 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I think your Kano, about attacking Iraq.Terrorism is going to happen a lot.And not just in the U.S. but around the world.

I don't really think we can defeat terrorism,just slow it down.

posted on Sep, 15 2002 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Good question Kano.
The War on Terror is a war that can't be won.Sure I have no doubt the US can beat Saddam with or without help,but ask yourself who'll be next.Iran and North Korea(another war that wasn't finished) were both described as being in an axis of evil,Sudan is a supposed terrorist bolthole,Saudi was recently described as the kernal of evil,Libya another candidate for regime change,Syria a sponsor of international terrorism.I could go on but I think I've made my point.
Maybe the the world will not intervene over Iraq but If further countries are targetted then international support will evaporate.The biggest problem with the war on terrorism is that one conflict will lead inevitably to another and as each conflict takes place the terrorist will appear to be justified.They will appear to be the only opposition to an Imperial USA as the threat of America's superior military will kow all convensional international opposition.

new topics

top topics

join