It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Scotland Yard Issues Statment Apologizing For Shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Scotland Yard has issued a statement apologizing for the shooting of a suspected suicide bomber yesterday. They have said that he was not involved in the terrorist incidents of this week and that that his death is a "tragedy".

bbc.co.uk
A man shot dead by police as part of the inquiry into Thursday's attempted bomb attacks was unconnected to the incidents, police have confirmed.

A Scotland Yard statement said the shooting was a "tragedy" which was regretted by the Metropolitan Police.

The man was shot dead after police followed him from a south London flat to Stockwell Tube station on Friday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This move could undermine confidence in British police. Hopefully a review of armed plain clothes police will occur.

I wouldnt stop for a man with a gun who didnt wear a police/military uniform. Would you?

[edit on 23/7/05 by subz]

[edit on 23-7-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 24-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
w0w...

that sucks s0 much

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So, seems they are so paranoid they will tackle anyone and shoot them down in cold blood. Oops, sorry. This is not acceptable, no matter the state of terror. Lord help the other innocent British citizen.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
screw it,

ill repost later

[edit on 23-7-2005 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Doesnt suprise me

As of late last night they were still refering to him as a 'suspected bomber'

I would have thought 30 seconds after shooting him dead that it would have been easy to discover if he had an expolsive device on him or not

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
maybe that's why he ran...

because he thought the police were going to shoot him...

BTW: what is scotland yard???

thanks...

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I think the fact that men with large guns and plain clothes were following you might of done it. If some one told me to stop and they had a machine gun and were not in police uniform I would run like hell. Whether they said they were police or not, thats just me.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yep, why did he run?
At the time you can't blame them, its definitly a shoot first and then ask questions situation

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Scotland Yard is the London Metropolitan Police Service headquarters. Of Sherlock Holmes fame

Scotland Yard

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
thanks subz

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well - what the Hell Happened then?

Was he Running because he was Deaf?

Or What?

This Article does not Provide this Information.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
breaking news...

that's why...

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
....he might of even been foreign and not spoken english so yeah seeing armed guys after you, you'd run wouldnt you. I said it before that it was unacceptable for them to shoot him when they had him pinned and arms secure even if suspected bomber, but now that he's not even connected.....copper should face court for taking his life.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
He left an address that was under surveilence, he ran when challenged, incidents are kicking off left right and centre, pretty easy to be paranoid if you ask me. Personally I'm glad the police are prepared to act decisively and if anyone is to blame it's the arseholes who've brought this atmosphere of mistrust to our streets.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
could this be why this happined like this:

because the police are "trigger happy" when it come to middle easterners???

we are seing this in NYC, in a way...

the police here are searching middle easterners more than anyone else...

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This is so sad.

It goes along with the witness accounts from inside the train car that when he fell through the door he looked petrified.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I dont think the policemen's action here is at fault. I think the policy they are made to follow is at fault. There is great logic behind shooting to kill for suspect suicide bombers but in this case it was unwarranted.

#1 Plain clothed police men with automatic weapons is insane! Who is going to stop for an armed person who 'claims' to be a policeman??

#2 He was under surveilance from when he left the apartment block that was being watched. If his demeanor and attire caused suspicion of being a suicide bomber then why the hell was he allowed to get near the Underground??

#3 He was pinned down by three officers, if his arms were secured he would not of been able to detonate any explosives. If the throwing to the ground didnt set of the explosives, you can safely assume that you can control the situation.

There is quite rightly going to be an enquiry into this. I just hope the policemen WHO WERE DOING THEIR JOB dont get the blame for faulty rules of engagement.

[edit on 23/7/05 by subz]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This sucks, as always when an innocent man dies under false allegations.
However, if the cops had not reacted as they done and this man was a bomber and soon to kill people....then the police would have still been ridiculed....lose-lose situation these day.

I hope his family is OK and they are compensated (if there is such a thing).

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Look at it this way, he was either guilty of something or he's stupid. Either way the gene pool as been improved. Maybe running from armed police during a time of bombs and paranoia is worthy of a darwin award?

Better one false postive than a free bomber....

[edit on 23-7-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
He should have stopped; the man hasn't been born that can outrun a bullet. They identified themselves as police. I agree with ubermunche - blame it on the arseholes that spawned this atmosphere of violence.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join