It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: 25% of British Muslims Sympathise With London Terror Attackers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
A survey by the UK's Daily Telegraph finds that an overwhelming majority of British Muslims (77%) think that the July 7th terror bombings were "not justified". However, a significantly smaller percentage (55%) are unsympathetic to the terrorists' cause. When asked if they have any sympathy for the motives of the terror attackers, 24% responded in the affirmative.

www.telegraph.co.uk
The group portrait of British Muslims painted by YouGov's survey for The Daily Telegraph is at once reassuring and disturbing, in some ways even alarming.

The vast majority of British Muslims condemn the London bombings but a substantial minority are clearly alienated from modern British society and some are prepared to justify terrorist acts.

The divisions within the Muslim community go deep. Muslims are divided over the morality of the London bombings, over the extent of their loyalty to this country and over how Muslims should respond to recent events.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is not a good sign for the future of peace & freedom in the UK and London. The simple-minded, knee-jerk reaction of many will be to attempt to identify those that sympathize and/or support the attacks and throw them out of Britain. Unfortunately, that is contrary to the foundation of a free country and likely to further inflame sympathy for the terrorists' cause.

A somewhat related story in the Washington Post (see link below) includes comments from a 'radical cleric' which resonate with the poll results.

Related News Links:
www.telegraph.co.uk
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
24% is very high.....especially if 24% of any group of people sympathize with terrorist who have killed innocent civilians. Agreeing with the motive and the action is two different things.

BTW, Im not that familar with www.telegraph.co.uk...are they a "credible" (if there is such a thing) source? Which side do they sway?

[edit on 23/7/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Yeah, I tried posting this very same story yesterday, but the mod, netchicken, trashed it because he thought it was "neo-nazi, skinhead" stuff - which I disagree with and very strongly resent.

The statistic from the article you are not showing is that is also says 6% of the muslims in Britain fully support the terrorist bombers. That means if there are over 2 million muslims in Britain, then there are over 120,000 people in the pool that the terrorist leaders could draw upon for more attacks. Those huge numbers mean that the British may soon have to decide between some of their basic rights - such as the right of some muslim clerics to continue preaching their message of hate and violence - and protection of their population.

In America, we will need to keep a close eye on how the situation is handled because it may be headed here next.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   

In America, we will need to keep a close eye on how the situation is handled because it may be headed here next.

It's already here my friend--it's jsut a matter of time before we have another attack.

This article highlights the need for close monitoring of Muslim leaders in our respective nations as they are the ones peretuating this ideology of hate and intolerance to their followers--including children. They need to be rounded up and deported--or charged with child abuse and improsoned for preaching this hatred.

I have little confidence, however that the US can break the ties of political correctness to do what's necessary to stop Islamic ideology. I am more hopeful the the UK will have more success.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
And let's not forget that poll numbers can be made up to tell any story. And there is no way for anyone to verify if they are true or not. Think about it. If you were a Muslim in the U.K., would you say you agreed with the terrorists even if you did? No way!

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Why not shadow they have nothing to fear in britain, Im sure they dont walk around yelling it but many of them dont like the west, funny though how they all want to live in the west though.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The British seemed to invite all in to say what they like. Maybe they are rethinking that policy. Another fifth column?

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I think political retaliations against Muslims at large would be playing right into the hands of the terrorists. Not only would such a policy be wrong politically, it would be wrong morally.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
When people are killed and maimed by a religious or political group, politics and morality are twisted and bent out of shape.

Subjective reality cannot easily be changed, especially if the offending religious leaders and followers do not make a concerted effort to react very strongly against the actions of parts of the group. As in the bombing attacks in London and many other parts of the world by Muslims who show and say positive attudes to the actions in any percentages, the damage done is very hard to repair.

It is enevitable that a backlash will be vented on the group as a whole no matter the correctness of the morality or political reality.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I'm sure the BNP has about 120,000 members as well.

Maybe we can put them in some sort of large pit and make them fight it out? Ahhh...the Roman days.
How I long for them.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I think that if this is really the case, the UK should consider the idea of deportation of some radical islamists. The UK has, so far, ade only mistakes when dealing with terrorists. They gave us the proof that they can explain all that happen AFTER it happened but they can't prevent terrorist actions.
Today they prooved it again by shooting an innocent brazilian...alright # happens i guess...
wtv they should deal with terrorists the way Israel deal with kamikazes....send choppers to destroy their house and the homes of all their family.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by majestytwelve666
I think that if this is really the case, the UK should consider the idea of deportation of some radical islamists. The UK has, so far, ade only mistakes when dealing with terrorists. They gave us the proof that they can explain all that happen AFTER it happened but they can't prevent terrorist actions.
Today they prooved it again by shooting an innocent brazilian...alright # happens i guess...
wtv they should deal with terrorists the way Israel deal with kamikazes....send choppers to destroy their house and the homes of all their family.

And the result of this policy? More terrorists.

Great way to kill innocent children and women due to the actions of one family member.

Yes! Let us help the terrorists by killing even more people!

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Yeah, I tried posting this very same story yesterday, but the mod, netchicken, trashed it because he thought it was "neo-nazi, skinhead" stuff - which I disagree with and very strongly resent.

Sorry to hear that. Perhaps it was your intro/commentary?

The statistic from the article you are not showing is that is also says 6% of the muslims in Britain fully support the terrorist bombers. That means if there are over 2 million muslims in Britain, then there are over 120,000 in the pool that the terrorist leaders could draw upon for more attacks.

From the last paragraph of the story:

YouGov interviewed 526 Muslim adults across Great Britain online between July 15 and yesterday. The data were weighted to reflect the composition of Britain's Muslim population by gender, age and country of birth.

I'm too lazy to look up the margin of error for this sample size - 6% seems a little high for such an extremist viewpoint. It would also be interesting to know precisely what is meant by the "weighting" alluded to in the last sentence. One can only hope that the newspaper employs at least one person with a rudimentary understanding of how to analyze and present statistical data.

Whatever the case may be, I am probably most alarmed by the responses to the third question - whether or not the respondants could understand why some people behave that way - a solid majority of 56%. It is alarming to me that any significant number of people, much less a majority could understand what drives a person to murder dozens of people they don't know and who are more than likely very far removed from the root cause of their anger.

I think this response strikes at the heart of what is so hard for most Americans to understand about the Middle East and Islamic terrorists. To my way of thinking, the whole concept of suicide/homicide bombing is simply insane. You can't negotiate with people who are insane.

Beyond that, what assurances do we have that if we gave these folks what they wanted (e.g. Bush & Blair decide to march our respective forces out of Iraq starting tomorrow), that this wouldn't simply embolden the terrorists to demand more and more? At least one Muslim cleric has been quoted saying that he wants Britain to become a Islamic state. To me, the terrorist morality is almost completely orthogonal to the rest of the rational world.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
the problem we have in Britain is our signing up to the human rights treaty which forbids the deportation of any foreign nationals to their own country if they are at risk of execution etc . So here they all stay spitting out hate and living on state handouts, organising the next terror hit . Britain should tear up the agreement and start again before our country is overcome. The fact that Mulims regard themselves as Mulim first and British second has got to be very worrying for when the chips are down

[edit on 30-7-2005 by avro]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
avro, how many religious people seem themselves as members of that Religion first?

To Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, etc, that side of them and their commitment to God tends to come before their place of birth.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It's a bit of a loaded question to be honest.
Saying that they can understand the reasons given by terrorists for the attacks, namely the rising death toll in Iraq and the Israel / Palestinian situation, is not the same as supporting the terrorists.
It is still possible to recognise the reasons for an act of terrorism whilst deploring the act itself.

By implying that those 24% of respondents support terrorism, the Telegraph is seeking sensationalism and attempting to whip up the hard Right, give themselves something else to report on.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

The U.S. is actually a bit better off than most of Europe in this regard. Our Muslim population is smaller, more diverse, and better integrated into American society. However, there's always a possibility some will become radicalized and start bombing attacks similar to what happened in London.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Odium I have both Jewish and Hindu friends and I am a Christian, my friends are proud to call themselves British as I am myself ,I respect their beliefs and know they would defend this country in the event of war, I wish I could rely on the Muslim comunity in the same way

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
one would probably find that 25% of any group would sympathise with the bombers

Lets face it - at LEAST 25% of all people are a tad wacko

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by avro
Odium I have both Jewish and Hindu friends and I am a Christian, my friends are proud to call themselves British as I am myself ,I respect their beliefs and know they would defend this country in the event of war, I wish I could rely on the Muslim comunity in the same way

And I live down the road from a Mosque and they all say they are proud to be British. However, just like the Christians I know they belong to God first and the Nation second.

Because God gave them all life and without him they would not have the ability to be born into this Nation in the first place.

Also the fact their "love" for God, is different to the "love" they have for their Nation is another problem which people are too ignorant to understand.

However, I myself feel more connected to my Grand-parents origin then I do as a British National, primarily because I get stopped and searched almost daily (at least the Police attempt to do that) because of the way I look. The Muslim friends I know also get it, constantly, even when they have never broken a law. This sort of Police work results in one thing and one thing only - minority groups being pushed away from main-stream Society.

new topics

top topics

join