It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mysterious Disease Kills Nine In China

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Ive read through this whole thread and im abit confused to what is going on. Is this an epidemic of influenza?

Why is the Chinese army rounding people up via a list? are they infected? if they are, how the hell does the Chinese government know?

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
infinite - read my post right before yours.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
They dont, we're presuming that the people they've rounded up are people who have been in contact with people already infected.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

BUT - in light of the Indonesian cases where Indonesian Health Authorities now have 300 people who had contact with that family under "medical surveillance" and in light of this new information that at least 20 cases of this "mysterious illness" are in Chengdu, I now wonder if the "name list" was produced by the health authorities by asking the sick people who they have had contact with, say, in the past week or two weeks.

Right, remember the film "outbreak" the monkey virus? in the movie the government created a list of people who were proun and had contact with infected people. Certain people got infected and the government had a list of them. Yes, i know it was a movie, but it gives us a little understanding on how the Chinese government might be working on this

Btw, i have a chinese news channel, i can check it out and see what they are saying about it?

[edit on 23-7-2005 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Don't forget the chinese govt is renowned for trying to cover up epidemics, its just not a good look for the cities mayors I think.

Sars was the first big one I read about, it wouldn't suprise me if they did try and hush this one up.

Doesn't look good for an emerging superpower to be hit by 3rd world diseases.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Has anyone thought that maybe there is a war going on under our noses. What better way to hide a oncoming attack then with birds. Does anyone know the kind of birds and if so what are they migrating pattern if they dont go over the us im beting our government did it.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcrow1800
Has anyone thought that maybe there is a war going on under our noses. What better way to hide a oncoming attack then with birds. Does anyone know the kind of birds and if so what are they migrating pattern if they dont go over the us im beting our government did it.

oh give me a break. You can find the answers to all your questions - if you really want them, in prior ATSNN articles.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Valhall,

This won't suprise you, but i dont think the Chinese Media are talking about this. Been searching around google on numerous Chinese news sites, nothing at all. Even the Chinese news channel in the UK is hush on it.

[edit on 23-7-2005 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
They may not be talking about it - but WHO is!

Signs point to global influenza oubreak--WHO warning

www.alertnet.org...

Margaret Chan, WHO's director of pandemic influenza preparedness states:

... there had been no known sustained human to human transmission of the deadly virus, but called for stepping up disease surveillance among poultry and humans worldwide.

"This is more evidence [referring to Indonesian deaths] for us to be concerned about developments in the region," Chan told a news briefing.

"This is perhaps the only time since 1968, which was the last pandemic, that we are getting signs, symptoms and warnings from nature ... More and more birds are dying in different parts of the world -- this is the kind of signals, and early warnings that we are referring to."

We need to be very vigilant and look for early signals or signs of sustained human to human transmission," she said. "We need to advise people from farm to table on what actions they can take or can advise communities to take to reduce that risk."

[edit on 7-23-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
discuss.agonist.org...

this forum has something interesting on it too

A US-based Chinese-language news website known as Boxun, or "Abundant News", has riveted the online medical community over the past month with a series of reports from China's Qinghai province about an alleged bird flu cover-up. One report - said to be leaked by a Chinese official - claimed that 121 people were dead from avian influenza, or H5N1.

China has denied the claim, but im going to find that report

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
That is where the messages came from infinite. That's why I was skeptical of them until this point, because there has been speculation on the validity of what the Chinese folks on Abundant are claiming. Some people speculate they may be putting false claims of avian flu cover-up on their message board in order to try to discredit their government.

But in light of today's news reports - I opted to share those messages.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
If any one hears what is hapening to the people the military is dragging away I would like to hear what it is.
In years past people with communicable illness have been quarenteened. Tyfoid Marry for instance. But we do have metheds for comeing up with vaccines that I would think should make a quarenteen period not to lenthey.

And am hopeing that the worst that is hapening to the people is a quarenteen.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
But in light of today's news reports - I opted to share those messages.

You read of some of these messages?

discuss.agonist.org...

im really confused on what to think

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Well, infinite - me too. Here's the deal. Now we're aware. Whether there is something to this or not - we're aware. That's always the best we can hope for when events are unraveling in real-time around us.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   

A web-based Chinese-language news service called Boxun (Abundant News), which allows correspondents to freely post information on its site, reported on 25 May that 121 people in 18 villages in the sparsely-settled western province of Qinghai have died of bird flu, and more are ill. Some 1300 people, have been isolated, it reports.

The reports come from an online Chinese language news service, Boxun (Abundant News), where correspondents may freely post information. Postings there on May 25 reported 121 people in 18 villages have died of bird flu, with approximately 1300 people having been "isolated."

Heres the link, my computer doesnt support Chinese characters so I cant inspect further..

www.boxun.com...

Here's some more about the "report"

The media reports are said to have come from nine correspondents in Qinhai, who report that people connected to the cases have been forbidden to talk to outsiders. Boxun cautions that the reports cannot be independently verified, but says it hopes by drawing attention to them they can be further investigated.

The reports say that sick people in the border region between Qinghai and the neighbouring, impoverished province of Gansu had visited the nature reserve where the birds were found. But they also report that there have been large scale outbreaks of unexplained deaths among livestock in the area.

China has never reported any human cases of H5N1. These have so far been reported only in Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia. Scientists believe this may be due to a small genetic variation in the virus that has circulated there among domestic poultry.

China did report 50 outbreaks of H5N1 in domestic poultry right across China in 2004, from Guangdong in the southeast to Tibet in the far west. The sparseness of the reported outbreaks over such a wide region has led some scientists to fear that the virus is present in many more places.

Outbreaks may either not have been reported, or the virus may has circulated undetected due to the widespread vaccination of poultry against H5N1. In the past, the Chinese authorities denied that there were cases of SARS in Beijing when it later transpired there had been.

www.newscientist.com...

Edit: Addition

Apparently Boxum is not a Chinese run server. It's based in the US and run by dissident Chinese.

I googled Boxun and was immediately surprised a second time to find it has a .com URL, rather than a Chinese .cn tag. The third surprise was to see photos from Tiananmen Square on the site, including the famous one of the man standing in front of the tanks.

This was not a site in China. Eventually I learned that Boxun is based in the US, and is apparently run by dissident Chinese.

The questions now are these: How did Boxun get this information? How were people in Qinghai able to gather news of these animal and human deaths, and how were they then able to email or phone their news outside China? Doing so could get them into big trouble with the Public Security Bureau, whose skill with computer communications created the Great Firewall of China in the first place. And indeed, Niman today is reporting a number of arrests in Qinghai.

crofsblogs.typepad.com...

I also found this article while looking into Boxum

Phnom Penh - Cambodia's hospitals have been swamped by about 1 000 young children suffering acute respiratory infections this month, a senior health official said on Wednesday.

At least 60 infants aged two months to five years have been admitted daily, but said no fatalities have been reported, health ministry secretary of state Heng Tay Kry told AFP.

"About 1 000 infant patients have been hospitalised in four big hospitals in recent days with acute respiratory infections," he said, adding that the children were suffering from a human form of influenza.

"It has been an unprecedented and strange year (for infections), but it is not critical like bird flu. No one has died yet," he said.

The deadly avian influenza, or H5N1, has been responsible for four Cambodian deaths and dozens more in neighbouring Vietnam and Thailand.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
crofsblogs.typepad.com...

[edit on 7/23/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
i bet that its a strain of the bird flu.birds around the world are coming up sick.dont kid yourshelf this flu will be making its rounds soon.will anyone be ready we will see.you better hope its not airborn because china is having a major dust storm at the moment.........

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Im at work tonight, and I will give the ID people a call to see if they have anything new from the CDC that has not been released to the public. I doubt they will though.

If this virus is mutanting so rapidly It may be difficult if not impossible to "catch up" with it in the term of a vaccine. China needs to be open so that the world can focus an effort on this. If they fail to contain it and start getting huge outbreaks in thier densly packed cities, we may be in big trouble.

I did some digging on orbits and the number of flights to and from China are staggering. most are not direct, but stop in Singapore, Tokyo, Indonsia, etc. Factor in the flights that do not come to the US but head to Europe and India etc, and you have a staggering movement of people that can spread this virus.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I am new to this discussion board, forgive me if this has been suggested previously. A great site for up-to-date stories about the Avian flu or any potential epi- and pandemics is:

www.recombinomics.com...

The CDC doesn't seem to keep updated. Also, the CBC (Canadian Broadcast Corp) pays MUCH more attention than any US media oulet to the Avain Flu.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Fred,
From the 1800 people or so that the Gov has aparently "detained" it does sound like the virus is being contained. Or at least a real strong atempt to do so.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
FredT and Valhall...

I posted this a few minutes ago...

posted on 23-7-2005 at 04:45 PM Post Number: 1557834 (post id: 1579727)

Poll on forum's

I visit this site for information on a wide variety of subjects, and that's fine for now. However I spend more time at another board because of it's subject matter.

I'm talking about the threat of H5N1 influenza. I know I have posted on many other forums discussing this menace, but because it does not have one forum dedicated to this subject, I find it hard to get or post relevant information in some kind of logical manner....therefore I suggest a fourm about the emerging pandemic where others might go to find the lastest news releases and threads about the virus itself. There should be another area within this forum to educate people on how to prepare and survive the pandemic, including alternate forms of natural antivirals, face mask types etc....

This need not be a permanet forum, only until the threat abates.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join