It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mysterious Disease Kills Nine In China

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
An unknown disease has started to spread amongst farmers living in China. The Sichuan provincial health department has put out an emergency notice warning of the illness. Twenty people have so far been infected, ten of which are currently in hospital. Out of the ten in hospital six are said to be in critical conditions. The victims are all aged between 30-70 and apparently have not had any contact with each other, baffling doctors on how this disease is transmitted.

www.physorg.com
Sick people began appearing "one-by-one" in hospitals in Ziyang city from June 24 to July 21, showing symptoms of high fever, a loss of strength, vomiting, and shock, the report said.

The sick came from 15 villages in 12 different townships, it said, mainly in the Ziyang area and Yingjiang district.

After receiving a report from local health departments, the Ministry of Health in Beijing has sent a team to investigate the disease, it said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Scary stuff when you have a disease spreading amongst people who have not been in direct contact, especially when nine people are already dead. Considering all the victims have been farmers could this maybe have something to do with their livestock carrying the disease? Hopefully more will be found out without more victims falling to this ‘unknown’ disease.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I voted "YES". Good form and very ATSNN worthy

Hopefully this will die down and be contained with just 20 victims.....
Baffling though, how is it transmited? Could be an
agriculture thing......I hope the press follows up on this.

[edit on 23/7/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
The Sichuan province is where the first case of Avian Flu was reported in China, if my memory is treating me right today.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I was thinking of the Flu also. As I recall the death toll from the Flu was much higher then first reported. So I am concerned just how dangerous this out break might be.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
COVER-UP!

I don't think this is a "mysterious illness". This is Avian flu in the 10 million populated capital city of Chengdu.

www.recombinomics.com...

The above report raises the possibility of H5N1 bird flu spread to Chengdu, capital of Sichuan Province. The earlier boxun reports described human outbreaks of H5N1 in Qinghai Province, which is sparsely populated. Chengdu is a major city with a population of about 10 million. The above report indicates there are 20 infections with 9 dead and 6 more critical. The case fatality rate would be very high and consistent with bird flu rates seen in Vietnam and Thailand last year. However, the H5N1 at Qingahi Lake is quite virulent in birds, and the reports from China suggest the infections are spreading quickly.

Now FOR THE REST OF THE STORY.

The following statements were made by Chinese members of a discussion board on July 20th. I have been sitting on this out of fear it was hogwash. It concerns several towns/cities including Chengdu:

Link to Translated messages

Another translation: (a bit easier for us English people to read)

"Hey, are we going to war? Something's not right. I can see many armoured vehicles and soldiers with guns on the road. I can ever hear planes in the air. Rumor has it that they're from Yushu (i believe that this's a location, but i'm not sure which) Can someone please clarify what's happening?"

"They're over here too. I can see hundreds of troops, many of whom are in full battle order. I'm from Yushu"

"I'm from Chengdu. Are you from the region where the bird flu was found?"

"I'm seeing the same thing here too, in LaSuTung (translation, i think it's a mongolian city). I've never seen so many planes in my entire life."

"It must be related to the bird flu."

"I thought "it" (the bird flu) was from the Qinghai region? It's here now? That's really fast."

"We'd better keep a low profile. My parents are asking me not to venture out. I can see troops in full battle order grabbing people. But I'm not sure why so."

"You're right, I can see troops and planes too."

"It must be our comrades getting ready to attack Japan."

"It's such a mess here. We can't even sort nourselves out, what nonsense about Japan. This must be measures to deal with the bird flu."

(2-3 irrelevant posts cursing the japanese in general)

"Hey, I can see troops in "white suits" and planes flying at low altitudes. If you can see them too, can you please acknowledge?"

(5 posts agree)

"I see people being snatched out of their houses"

(curses & swears at everything and anything in particular - Mao Zedong, Deng Xiaopeng and the Bird Flu included)

"Let's see - YuShu, ChengDu, LaSuTung, Jie-Wu (and other locations which i can't read) all inaccessible for the next few days? What the hell?"

"The troops are finally here. They're walking through the village (or town), checking the houses. I should be fine since I don't breed any birds."

"It's ridiculous to think that they can drag people off the streets just because of the bird flu."

"I hear that they're snatching people whose names are on a printed namelist. They're only checking the houses of those in their vicinities."

"Hu Jing Tao & Wen Jia Bao have already said that to eliminate the bird flu, we must start by getting rid of the human cases. Only via ridding the human cases can transmission be stopped."

"I'm going to turn vegan from today onwards."

EDIT: Above translation provided by an ATS member.

I'm calling pandemic.

[edit on 7-23-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Great find Valhall.

I can't make out what some of the transcript means, such as:

" Does the panda eye, which look kicks, pig bird cat/author: Malacca channel BB reply date: 2005-07-20 10:34:51"

and

"Goes against, scolds engraves dies long live, presses shears dies long live, rips 瘩 the scale to long live, the cat responsibility frozen long live, 瞪 the clamour bottle long live, the thick liquid folds the dish to long live, the pot muscle runs away long live, the birds and beasts flu long live, TMD Chinese obscene people 万万岁/ author: Loves beautiful woman's spot lead goose reply date: 2005-07-20 11:43:35 "

Anyone shed any light?

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Yeah - that's the machine translation. That's why I included the translation done by a member. It's much easier to read.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
So these posters claim that Bird Flu is spreading around the city but is being kept undercover by the government?

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
No - actually, what they were discussing were large numbers of planes and troops "dressed in white suits" coming into their town(s?)...with a list of names...and taking people out of their homes.

EDIT IN: I'M the one claiming that the reports that this "mysterious illness" being reported in Chengdu is intentional misinformation, because I think they know full well what it is.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I see. Anything mentioned about what happened once they were taken away? What were their families told?

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Good find Val!
Maybe we need to rewrite the title of this article....

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I've been working on this for days now guys. I have three contacts via my company two of which have families in different parts of China, and one has family in Viet nam. I have requested they contact their relatives and see if they can find out anything.

I guess this is a good place to make a public call for any people in the Asia/Pac area to come forward if they know more about this.

I don't know if you guys have been keeping up, but WHO now suspects human-to-human transmission in Viet Nam because the cases are exhibiting "clustering" - indicative of H2H. Then there's the worrisome three family members who died in Indonesia in the first week of July who Indonesian health authorities are pretty firm the family had no exposure to live poultry. (WHO is being more guarded saying they want to "investigate that claim further".)

WHO has already voiced their concerns that China is NOT giving up accurate numbers on cases.

I truly believe this is a serious situation.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Surely it was just a matter of time before the virus mutated and began H2H transmission.

Once it does start H2H transmission, does that mean a vaccine can be produced?

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Well, they can't produce one until there is an outbreak, that's for certain. But H5N1 is doing some pretty weird mutating and gene-swapping and all kinds of weird stuff. Also, there are some people concerned with the fact that H5N1 could gene swap with say SARS or something. So the answer is - yes, once you have an outbreak of ONE H5N1 isolate - you get to try to vaccinate for that one, but if you don't get it contained then the darned thing could go off and become an entirely different mutation...then you have to get ANOTHER vaccine developed.

See the problem?

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
The problem could be huge...

Couldn't the mutation go on infinitly?

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I think that's the case period - with flues that is. That's why we've had the 1918 plague (20,000,000 people died), the Hong Kong Flu, Swine Flu, and now H5N1 - that's why they have to formulate a new flu shot every year, because they have to try to match the dominant strain for the year.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
In other words - what I'm trying to say is - and this is based on my limited understanding...

There is some form(s) of influenza at all times. And there can be pandemics of influenza at any given time. But what happened in 1918 and with the Hong Kong flu, is you had the combination of a pandemic with a high mortality rate flu.

H5N1 has a high mortality rate - so it's concerning if it goes H2H.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

"Instead, in northern Vietnam, researchers say they have discovered a higher number of infection clusters, the period of infection is longer and the age range of those infected is much wider.

The scientists have also found that the virus in northern Vietnam is genetically more different to a bird virus than other strains.

However, the WHO stresses that the pattern of infection could also be explained by a more infectious form of bird to human infection."

www.alphapatriot.com...

"Further, the most recent victims were aged 26 and 17, providing stark similarities to the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic"Pandemics are different from seasonal outbreaks or "epidemics" of influenza. Seasonal outbreaks are caused by subtypes of influenza viruses that are already in existence among people, whereas pandemic outbreaks are caused by new subtypes or by subtypes that have never circulated among people or that have not circulated among people for a long time. Past influenza pandemics have led to high levels of illness, death, social disruption, and economic loss." which targeted young healthy adults over those with weakened immune systems, as in the very young, the very old, and the infirm. Given our propensity to give vacinnes first to the very young, very old and infirm, what would be the effect if we ran out of vacinne before everyone else was protected?"

Time to start preparing.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
That's why I thought this article was important:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The CDC expedited this paper to a dispatch two weeks before it's planned publish date. It says - START STOCKPILING TAMIFLU.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I just want to speculate a little bit here. The reason I decided to put the Chinese message board messages up now - when previously I was suspicious of them - is because:

When I first read the messages it sounded to me like the government coming in to take dissidents away - since they had a "name list" and were going to certain houses. That led me to believe this might be bogus - or at least unrelated to the avian flu issue.

BUT - in light of the Indonesian cases where Indonesian Health Authorities now have 300 people who had contact with that family under "medical surveillance" and in light of this new information that at least 20 cases of this "mysterious illness" are in Chengdu, I now wonder if the "name list" was produced by the health authorities by asking the sick people who they have had contact with, say, in the past week or two weeks.

That makes it more believable now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join