It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My dad just ruined my book....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Ok this is a thread basically aout me yelling that I was only intrested in this book by a thread and my dad jsut ruined it...

The book "The Picture of Dorain Grey"

I'm only in chapter one the book dialouge is nice and its really relaxing to read now I have no idea what this book is about I am reading it for school. My dad comes up to me and goes "What ya reading?"

WARNING SPOILER AHEAD!!!

I show him the cover and he goes..
" Oh thats the book about the guy who never ages huh?"

wow thanks dad! All I knew about the Dorain Grey character from the book was that their was some big mystery about him. I wanted to know what it was so I was reading it perty fast too.

OH WAIT! I know what it is now! Yippidie yippidie ya .
Now I don;t even want to read the book,

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
It does kinda suck that he let the secret out, but don't let that stop you from reading it. That's just the set-up for the rest of the book which is excellent.

It's a classic because it's just that good.

[edit on 22-7-2005 by Duzey]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Ugh! This is for your dad
Tell him not to spoil any more books for you :p

It's a good book, though; I read it a few years back. Odd thing was, I had the biggest sense of deja vu when I read it, too. I'd never read it before, but for some reason I had this idea of how the story would go, and I was right. I mentioned that to my mom (who recommended the book) and she figures I probably read a book by somebody else who ripped off Oscar Wilde's ideas, which isn't surprising, since he is a famous classical author/playwright.

I think the book is still worth reading, though; if I remember right, you find out fairly early in the book the bit your dad spoiled. There's still a lot more in there that I won't spoil for you, except to say it's good stuff.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I suppose you never saw the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
You should still go ahead and read it, it will be worth it!
If you dont want to, there was a film made of the book, i guess you could watch that, it was fairly accurate to the text if i remember correctly. Although it is quite old, made in the 1940's i think, i dont know if that would put you off.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

tha was apretty cool movie

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Gaz, that has to be one of the worst Sean connery films I have every seen!

I have no respect for Connery since this film and this has only forced me to bump The Hoff 1 place up my all time greatest actors! These are sad times...

[edit on 28/7/05 by Klepto]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Gaz, that has to be one of the worst Sean connery films I have every seen!

I cited it for its featuring of the infamous Mr. Gray, not for its cinematic quality, or lack thereof, hehe...

As for Connery films, there are FAR worse examples...Highlander II for starters....

[edit on 28-7-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
That's not even that big a spoiler, in the context of the whole book. Finish reading it - it's actually a really great book.

Also, read The Importance of Being Earnest, cause well, it's well-written and definitely one of the best comedies (if not one of the best plays, period) ever written.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
You basically figure it out pretty early in the book. They cover it up, but it's pretty apparent at part. It was an interesting read, I don't know if I would say really great, but it was definitely a good read.

Gazrok: If only Dorian in the book was as cool as Dorian in the movie.:shk:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Did you get done reading it yet? I haven't read it, but the spoiler your dad gave you just got me interested. How could he live forever? Was it a science experiment, natural, or what? How is he able to interact with society? Does anyone else know his secret? Has he lived in the same place all of his life, or has he had to move from place to place? How does he keep his secret from the government? Has he been able to build up a multiple skills over the years, or is he more on the run from others for some reason?

I'm sure I would be able to build up even more questions if I knew more about the book. It does sound very interesting. I hope you enjoy/enjoyed reading it.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   

that was great...

anyway, that sucks that the book is ruined for you...

in reality, it may not be...

he didn't tell you everything that occured in the book now did he???

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It is true that Dorian Grey never ages, but your father didn't tell you why. Good literature is worth reading for its own sake. Go ahead and read the book and find out not only why he never ages, but why the book is considered great literature.

top topics

join