It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

82" LED backlight LCD Display possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Just when I was getting used to my 19" flat panel it seems I need to upgrade.

A company called Osram Opto Semiconductors, a subsidiary of Siemens, has developed an 82 inch LED backlight suitable for an LCD panel.

Physorg

Display sizes that were once unthinkable are now possible thanks to Osram Opto Semiconductors’ new backlighting system for displays. A prototype measuring two meters contains 1,120 Golden DRAGON light-emitting diodes (LEDs). The display’s diagonal measurement is 82 inches, about the size of a door. The ready-to-market system is scalable, which means it can be used to backlight much larger areas.

--snip--

Work has already begun on the next generation, and when it’s completed, these “backlights” are expected to be even thinner and more cost-efficient. With their very fast switching times (less than 100 nanoseconds), LED-based backlights make possible displays without striation. Plans also call for eventually dispensing with the color filter in the displays’ LCD surface, because the backlights will be able to control the display with the individual primary colors. The very fast image sequencing of the individual colors ensures that the human eye perceives a picture of outstanding brilliance. And ambient temperatures have even less effect on displays using this light source. Until now, the use of LCD liquid crystals has been restricted to a range between minus 40 degrees and plus 85 degrees Celsius.

The Siemens press release:
siemens

This sounds very interesting.
I hope that can get the efficiency up on these, it'll be even an better option.

[edit on 22-7-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'm sold.

I knew LEDs would be the way of the future. This is a perfect place for this sort of thing. They're creeping up all over the place, although I will admit I didn't think about using them for larger and better screens. I look forward to utilizing this technology in my swingin' bachelor's pad. The perfect way to get good mood lighting - a door-sized screen.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
how much is that 82 inch one going to cost? like 40,000 dollars? I mean they prices dont scale very well with the sizes

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Davood
how much is that 82 inch one going to cost? like 40,000 dollars? I mean they prices dont scale very well with the sizes

Sharp is currently selling the world's largest LCD TV, the Aquos LC-65GE1, for around $15,000
That TV is 65 inches.

I'm not sure if the LED display will be more or less than that one.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Davood

wow..more like 100k for that..lol that might be the price when it 1st came out

new topics

top topics

join