It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Stop the eldering process ?

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Hello

I just saw an documentary on my norwegian channel NRK .

The program was called : Journey Of Life and it was about Humans and how we evolved .

99 % of our inherit (I not know what inherit something is called I am sorry I tried to look it up
) comes from apes while 1 % stands out on its own.


In the program they said it was expected in the year 2020 that they could "tweak" the human DNA to stop eldering process and such .

So you could be like 200 years old and still look like you where 16 .


Can someone confirm this with a link or a source ?



Thanks in advance




posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Cant confirm with any hard proof, but people have been dablling with imortality for centuries, noones succeeded but I think we are on that barrier of 'oh yes I can smell the bacon' in other words I think we are bloody close!



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Thanks



Anyone else ?



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
its "heritage"


Didnt people in biblical times live to be like 600 years old? I wonder why the lifespan of humans shortened, maybe because of population expansion. That would be incredible if science produced something to prolong youth. Ill look for a link on this journey of youth later.



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion
its "heritage"


Didnt people in biblical times live to be like 600 years old? I wonder why the lifespan of humans shortened, maybe because of population expansion. That would be incredible if science produced something to prolong youth. Ill look for a link on this journey of youth later.



Thanks for the answer



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by gamerman
99 % of our inherit (I not know what inherit something is called I am sorry I tried to look it up
) comes from apes while 1 % stands out on its own.

99% of our genes (the "inherit") are the same as apes, yes. This is because we have the same ancestor -- 10 million years ago.


In the program they said it was expected in the year 2020 that they could "tweak" the human DNA to stop eldering process and such .

Maybe not stop aging ("eldering") but make it much slower.


Can someone confirm this with a link or a source ?


I can confirm this. There are many papers on it, but they are in English and are hard to read.

You may be able to read some of these.
www.gyre.org...



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Longevity Research is just taking off, from things as prosaic as Caloric Restricted Diets to Biostasis. We are on the cusp of an amazing social shift in our society. If we survive the next 100 years it will make the 20th century like the dark ages looking back retrospectively. What we call "Aging" is just diseases taking advantage of our bodies weakened state. If we can find ways to shore up our defenses and increase the time it takes for our cells to divide as well as learn how to "regrow" our Telomere's then we can easily reach a like expentancy beyond what we consider to be "mortality". There have even been succefull expermints in Age Regression. Scientists have actually rolled back the cellular age of a middle aged rat/mouse(i forget which) they were awarded a prize for.



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by gamerman
99 % of our inherit (I not know what inherit something is called I am sorry I tried to look it up
) comes from apes while 1 % stands out on its own.

99% of our genes (the "inherit") are the same as apes, yes. This is because we have the same ancestor -- 10 million years ago.


In the program they said it was expected in the year 2020 that they could "tweak" the human DNA to stop eldering process and such .

Maybe not stop aging ("eldering") but make it much slower.


Can someone confirm this with a link or a source ?


I can confirm this. There are many papers on it, but they are in English and are hard to read.

You may be able to read some of these.
www.gyre.org...


Thank you for the link .... Though some are hard to read , I have no problem what so ever with my english , so bring em


I just had a problem with the word inherit


[edit on 22-7-2005 by gamerman]



posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I think if they could stop the ageing process in the not too distant future they will also be able to keep the treatment for the SUPER rich only. I mean you think how much people would pay to look 22 years old when they were really 85 years old. And say you had $100 million dollars in the bank then you would think nothing of paying say $5 million dollars for this. Therefore it won,t be for us common folk anyway.



posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Those are arbitrary numbers coffieaddict, you made them up. We have no idea how much such a technology would cost at first. I expect that yes it will cost quite a bit at first, most likely comporable to modern cosmetic surgury. The Knowledge will be out there and it will be copyed. Remember the Middle Class has access to the most money in the west, make it cost effective for them and the Sellers of this product would become richer then they could ever imagine in their wildest dreams. The Rich will be the first ones to benifit but they won't be the only ones to reap the rewards. At one time Computers were considered to be a Luxury only Governments and Monarchs could afford and thusly the entire Computer market was estimated to be 5 or 6 units (or something like that)
We know how that turned out now don't we!

[edit on 23-7-2005 by sardion2000]



posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
There are some rather important reasons why we humans die.

One of 'em relates to population; or rather, ensuring the food chain doesn't become so out of whack that we end up killing ourselves off in the search for longevity.

Too many humans = not enough resources.

Not enough resources = end of Life As We Know It.

I'm all for cellular death. I'm all for losing our fear of death. I'm all for accepting the inevitable.



posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
Cant confirm with any hard proof, but people have been dablling with imortality for centuries, noones succeeded but I think we are on that barrier of 'oh yes I can smell the bacon' in other words I think we are bloody close!


Yay! *Dance*

I'm so happy, we better be bloody close, I want the anti aging thing, so I can stay young foreverrrr!
People call me childish, so I may as well always look young like one, just to be bitter to them!
Just kidding, it's also cause I don't want to get old! X_X



posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Why are we so afraid of getting old?

I intend to grow older disgracefully. I shall wear purple plaid and a yellow rain coat, and I shall use a blue or pink rinse in my hair. I will purposely forget to put in my false teeth, and I shall slurp my tea very loudly and with much gusto! I hereby refuse to pander to the whims of the media's idea of what I should look like, and I refuse to fall for the "only young is good!" ploys touted by both our media, and our plastic surgeons!

I will resist!

Now, hand me my walker and my false teeth, and let me get old!




posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Why are we so afraid of getting old?

I intend to grow older disgracefully. I shall wear purple plaid and a yellow rain coat, and I shall use a blue or pink rinse in my hair. I will purposely forget to put in my false teeth, and I shall slurp my tea very loudly and with much gusto! I hereby refuse to pander to the whims of the media's idea of what I should look like, and I refuse to fall for the "only young is good!" ploys touted by both our media, and our plastic surgeons!

I will resist!

Now, hand me my walker and my false teeth, and let me get old!




Enthusiasm to get old????

I'm afraid of getting old, because I'm not sure....I just always have been, even as a child, so I'm afraid I'll be slightly paying into those plastic surgeon bouts about being young......I actually want to have surgery already....^_^ It's not uncommon for youth to have surgery these days either, I hope I'll stay young forever n ever!



posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
The irony here being...

When you're 82, and you have the face of a 23 year old...

You're still going to have the calcified bones, decrepid heart, and failing kidneys of an 82 year old.

But I'm still in the dark as to exactly why some of us are so afraid of "looking old". Are we truly such slaves to the media that we actually believe the hogwash that "only young = good!"?



posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I don't mind looking old, I just feel that I'm going to die before 30.



posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I felt that, too.

Then I hit 30.

Obviously my worries, fears and "predictions" failed rather stupendously, and I'm still sitting here wading along the post-30 riverbank, trying to avoid drowning in an irrational fear of aging.

I'm looking forward to 40. My wrinkles and scars (and there are many...!) are merely an attestation to where I've been, and what I've done. It's actually almost exciting to think of more being added



posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I guess one way of making people look younger wil be down via genetic procedure, however as soon as Nanotech becomes more advance I see taht playing a part in creating a younger socity.



posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by racos
I guess one way of making people look younger wil be down via genetic procedure, however as soon as Nanotech becomes more advance I see taht playing a part in creating a younger socity.


So what will happen to the older people?

What happens when we stop dying at the "right" time?

Is anyone else seeing Logan's Run in our future?



posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
The irony here being...

When you're 82, and you have the face of a 23 year old...

You're still going to have the calcified bones, decrepid heart, and failing kidneys of an 82 year old.

But I'm still in the dark as to exactly why some of us are so afraid of "looking old". Are we truly such slaves to the media that we actually believe the hogwash that "only young = good!"?



Not if they stop cell regression! If they keep producing at high rates.......all will be well! ^.^



new topics




 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join