It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do i become a Mason??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
B&D means bondage and discipline. And as far as the last paragraph, it was my attempt at a disclaimer. Warning: Your experiences may differ from mine.

It's not a joke, it's a page from my own sordid history, thank you very much.

Whatever you say, dude. I've read some of your past posts, and thought I could expect better. Guess not. I agree with Axeman: distasteful

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Wait...are masons like that episode of the simpsons, the one with "the leader"?

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by puppet

You mean the one where Homer joins the "Stonecutters"? Yeah, I think it's safe to say that it was making fun of Freemasons.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by puppet

The Simpsons are far to credible to be linked to anything like Freemasonry, or Freemasons... I suggest a "Google" followed by clicking on any link with "geocities" or "tripod" in the web address... Or you can just go to the "source."

Keeping It Real Monkeys, not just for what's being flung anymore....

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
...some conspiracy dorks are so gullible that they seem to be unable to detect sarcasm, and may take your post a bit too seriously. Oops, too late!

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by sebatwerk
God gave you the ability to reason. Please, use it.

Ummm...According to the Bible, it was Satan who inticed Eve into eating of the "fruit of knowledge of good & evil"...But it was God who put the Knowledge out there in the first place, but told them not to partake of it. So who really did give us the ability to reason? God put it there, but denied it to us...Satan was the one who actually gave us knowledge.

You're right, I'm sorry. I realize he didn't mean harm by it, but come on! There was absolutely no need for him to ask that question.

The only stupid questions are the ones left unasked...

I was a DeMolay in my youth (sometimes, that seems so long ago), but by choice, I never "advanced" into the "parent" organization. From everything I saw & experienced there (which, considering that I never tried for any of the higher ranks, couldn't have been much) I really can't come up with anything bad to say about it.

No, I didn't have drugs forced on me either...They asked first. ( We really do need an emoticon for [sarcasm] [/sarcasm])

There's no goats OR emperor's clothes involved. Seems to me that someone is just trying to mess with ya.

Yeah, I too noticed the laughing emoticons that WyrdeOne (what an appropriate username!) posted.

Originally posted by Khonsu
C'mon now, you know as well as I do that everyone has to take a ride on Betsy.

No...Dollie, the cloned sheep. There's some serious symbology on that specific point...

Thank God you can't legislate taste, huh?

But thanks to the Patriot Act & the practice of "politically correct speech", they have legislation over bad taste.

[edit on 23-7-2005 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
sebatwerk
Self deprecating humor is one of the keys to being a humble person. With that in mind..

For someone whose order has borne the worst accusations and the most malicious lies, you should recognize a harmless joke when you see one. And that being said..

The naked goat riding was a humorous story told to me by a brother. I have my own suspicions that a joke was being played on someone, but it doesn't change the fact that it was funny.

My grandfather was also a Master Mason who didn't live up to the 'Masters of the Universe' hype. Nothing more than personal experience. This motivated the comment about the order not being sinister, unlike some of its members.

The Rainbow girls I knew happened to be freaks of the most entertaining sort. Again, no condemnation of the group, just a sliver of experience with individuals.

It's coincidence. Hence, the disclaimer. I would never put down an entire order because of my subjective experience of it through individual members. That wouldn't make sense. It would have been a better bet to keep your expectations high.

Dstroyer

Yeah, I too noticed the laughing emoticons that WyrdeOne (what an appropriate username!) posted.

Not everything that's funny is a joke. Sometimes life is astoundingly funny, and life is not a joke, per se.

And as to my name, turn that analytical mind of yours away from fraternal symbolism for a moment, and you'd know the half of it.
Anyone with even a passing interest in Freemasonry should be accustomed to searching for meaning.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   

The Rainbow girls I knew happened to be freaks of the most entertaining sort. Again, no condemnation of the group, just a sliver of experience with individuals.

The tastelessness of the joke comes from the fact that you were speaking very generally about the daughters of Freemasons. I know that doesn't mean much to you, but we try to be respectful of the female member's of a brother's family.

[edit on 23-7-2005 by sebatwerk]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Its just not tasteful to group any unit of people like that. From Rainbow girls to African Americans, there no need to make a generalization that could effect anothers thought or opinion of the group.
You might as well have said that all blondes are sluts and all brunettes are brainiacs. If it was a joke, you should have clarified that.

On a positive note, i love the masonic posts on here. keep it up.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Sebatwerk

The tastelessness of the joke comes from the fact that you were speaking very generally about the daughters of Freemasons. I know that doesn't mean much to you, but we try to be respectful of the female member's of a brother's family.

I said to ask masons about the Rainbow girls, and you've never seen so much hemming and hawwing. That's a direct self-quote. Now, I think you proved my point elegantly, but I meant no insult.

If you misunderstood and thought I meant all Rainbow girls are kinky, I'm sorry. I was relaying a personal experience with two individuals. This is not an indictment of Freemasonry or the Rainbow group. I qualified my comment to prevent further misunderstanding with you, but you persist in taking offense, which is your perogative.

I'd be protective of my daughters too, but there is worthwhile humor to be found in the dad-suitor relationship. Besides, I was neither graphic nor insensitive to privacy.

gipper

Its just not tasteful to group any unit of people like that.

I agree.

From Rainbow girls to African Americans, there no need to make a generalization that could effect anothers thought or opinion of the group.

You're absolutely right.

If it was a joke, you should have clarified that.

I did. Have a nice day.

Read the posts before commenting. Sometimes these things stretch on for ages, but if you don't read, how will you know what was said?

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
heres a quote for you....
B&D means bondage and discipline. And as far as the last paragraph, it was my attempt at a disclaimer. Warning: Your experiences may differ from mine.

Understand?

Axeman
It not a joke, it's a page from my own sordid history, thank you very much.

Thank God you can't legislate taste, huh?

I think you made it pretty clear that it was not a joke.
I do read the posts. Why do you have to be so condescending?

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
gipper
Early in this thread I said:

All in good fun, you understand. I've been around the block a few times, but my personal experiences with masons and other similar organizations' members are no indication of the overall thrust of the ethos.

..and then much later you said:

Its just not tasteful to group any unit of people like that. From Rainbow girls to African Americans, there no need to make a generalization that could effect anothers thought or opinion of the group. You might as well have said that all blondes are sluts and all brunettes are brainiacs.

So it seems pretty obvious that you didn't read what I had posted. If you did read it, you certainly didn't understand completely. If you had, you would have known better than to assume I have anything against blondes, or masons, or Rainbow girls. Do you understand?

You ask why I was condescending, well, what would you have me do? I don't appreciate when people put words in my mouth, and I especially don't appreciate it when people misrepresent my words in a public forum. I'm not one of these people who goes from thread to thread claiming Freemasons eat babies. Stay at ATS for a while and see for yourself.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
this is really getting ridiculous. once again, i have read ALL the posts. you made the claim that it was not a joke after you made the claim that it was all in good fun. what do you think one would be led to believe. it appeared that you had decided that it was not a joke. follow the order of the posts to understand why someone would "apparently" jump to such "absurd" conclusions.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Back on topic people...I think I might have accidentally hijacked this thread.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
puppet
It wasn't you dude, rest assured. You're fine.

It's me and the brothers gettin' rowdy, not you.

Carry on...

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   

I said to ask masons about the Rainbow girls, and you've never seen so much hemming and hawwing. That's a direct self-quote. Now, I think you proved my point elegantly, but I meant no insult.

It's OK, don't worry about it. Let's just forget about this and move on, there's lots of other, more important, things to discuss. What do you all think of President Bush's nomination to the Supreme Court?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I'd like to redirect this thread to it's original topic.

Following the advice of nearly every Mason on ATS I read a good portion of the information provided on MasonicInfo.com. I am intrigued to say the least, however, under the section entitled "The Investigation" I came across this statement:

Now needless to say: if your personal habits allow garbage to accumulate on the floor or its apparent that your financial situation is such that even a minimal additional expense will be a substantial burden, you will be discouraged from proceeding further.

Having fallen on economic hard times this statement burst my bubble just a little. Understandably it would be contrary to Masonic ethics to collect a fee for whatever purpose if an individuals economic situation wouldn't allow it. However, given the fact that there is no initiation fee or monthly dues, how big a hinderance is one's economic situation in regards to acceptance as an Apprentice? If deemed worthy for acceptance would an initiate be able to contribute in other ways during times he was not able to contribute financially?

I would also like to know whether there would be other hinderances to acceptance not mentioned on the site a propsective initiate should consider? By this I mean levels of education, marital status, family history etc. When meeting with an Investigation Commitee what are the types of questions generally asked?

Is it also a necessity for a propesctive apprentice to meet with the Investigation Commitee in their house? I don't ask this because I wish to hide anything, I just believe that the place in which I currently live is not indicative of my moral or personal character. Perhaps that sounded as if I missed the point of the meeting but without going into details and to put it very bluntly my family was and still is screwed up. After many years of personal (all be it relatively unguided) spiritual development I feel I am able to contribute to the well being of my fellow man irregardless of what transpired in my past. A meeting in my home would ordinarily be perfectly fine with me but due to situations out of my control I feel a meeting here would be counter productive.

I am, however, employed though much of my paycheck is devoted to feeding myself, my father and my younger brother. I'm also 22 years of age and therefor exceed the minimum age requirements.

I'll end it here as no doubt your answers will create more questions. It's refreshing to hear how open and informative real Masons are. I feel your pain, "Did you know I'm a Mason? That's right, I can't tell you anything. I shouldn't have even told you I was a Mason" gets old quite fast.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
Having fallen on economic hard times this statement burst my bubble just a little. Understandably it would be contrary to Masonic ethics to collect a fee for whatever purpose if an individuals economic situation wouldn't allow it. However, given the fact that there is no initiation fee or monthly dues, how big a hinderance is one's economic situation in regards to acceptance as an Apprentice? If deemed worthy for acceptance would an initiate be able to contribute in other ways during times he was not able to contribute financially?

No brother would ever be criticized or punished for falling on hard times. Our lodge has paid dues for several brethren who were unable to pay them, as well as paid for medical insurance, rent and other such financial help in their time of need.

What that statement was trying to say, however, is that if it seems like being a Freemason would be a financial burden on a candidate, he will be discouraged from joining. Freemasonry does not want to cause problems for a candidate. This is the same reason why an investigation committee will want to meet with and know that your spouse is OK with you joining. A lodge does not want to create problems between a brother and his family.

But generally I don't think this statement applies to you. Freemasonry is old, and this is a caveat from older times.

I would also like to know whether there would be other hinderances to acceptance not mentioned on the site a propsective initiate should consider? By this I mean levels of education, marital status, family history etc. When meeting with an Investigation Commitee what are the types of questions generally asked?

No, none of the things you mentioned would be a problem. During an interview, an investigation committee just wants to know that your family is OK with you being a mason and understands what Freemasonry is about. Any questions they ask would be personal questions such as your hobbies, your job, your typical day, things like that. They just want to get to know you and decide if you are a good person, of moral worth, and who has the support of his family to join the fraternity.

Is it also a necessity for a propesctive apprentice to meet with the Investigation Commitee in their house? I don't ask this because I wish to hide anything, I just believe that the place in which I currently live is not indicative of my moral or personal character....A meeting in my home would ordinarily be perfectly fine with me but due to situations out of my control I feel a meeting here would be counter productive.

It doesn't matter what your family situation is. Like I stated above, investigators just want to know that you have the support of your family, and that you are looking to join Freemasonry for the right reason. They want to know that you are not joining because you are hoping to gain financially from the fraternity. But meeting in the home is necessary to understand how the candidate lives, as this is very telling of what kind of person he is.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

It doesn't matter what your family situation is. Like I stated above, investigators just want to know that you have the support of your family, and that you are looking to join Freemasonry for the right reason. They want to know that you are not joining because you are hoping to gain financially from the fraternity. But meeting in the home is necessary to understand how the candidate lives, as this is very telling of what kind of person he is.

I have lived with several people who couldn't clean up after themselves if their lives depended on it. I have also lived with those who could be considered "perpetually underemployed". This can be quite frustrating to the individual who is trying to keep it all together (as perhaps ShadowFlux has implied) and feels like they don't have much choice in how others affect their living situation, especially when it is family.

I can think of times when I have gone over to a friend's place and, although they were a "good moral person", I could tell by the look on their face that their circumstances were personally embarassing for them, although to me it was absolutely no reflection on their personal character and I knew that because I knew them. Sometimes it could have been helped, sometimes not. There are people (and I'm sure we can all think of someone) who were able to rise out of the most terrible circumstances --- dust and ashes of the prior existence, so to speak --- and perhaps those are the folks that have the most potential of all. Making the best of what you have been given is all any of us can do.

So take heart, ShadowFlux. While I am not a FreeMason myself, I do not think they are so judgmental that they can't see a good candidate despite his current circumstances, if he is making a suitable effort to better himself. If you have the right stuff, it will shine through. However, I would take the time to get a few things in order before they show up to the house, like you would for any important guests, because it shows initiative and attention to detail. It demonstrates that you are interested in effectively managing your own affairs, as well as a healthy level of pride in how you appear to others. On a subtle level, it is a reflection of what is important to you because you live it everyday.

I wish you luck.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It's funny that when 'brothers' can't even make simple sentances clearly understood, other brothers politely ask for clarification but when an anti-brotherhood person raises issues of corruption with you lot, in answer to your own question, "what's so evil about masonry?", they are ridiculed and called a loon.
When you don't like someones own experiences with masons you try to discredit them by attacking their sanity while leaving all those good 'brotherly' manners in your little black bags.
At least some of you admit there are 'bad' masons and if you can't admit 'they' won't use their 'network' in bad ways then I have to question your sanity and/or honesty.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join