It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Offers To Abandon Nukes (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
N. Korea offered to lay down it's nuclear weapons program, if South Korea would agree to a new peace treaty, that would formally end the Korean Conflict of fifty years ago.

news. yahoo.com
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea has offered to abandon its nuclear weapons if the two sides in the Korean War sign a peace agreement to replace the 1953 cease-fire that halted hostilities but did not resolve the conflict.

A peace pact would halt what the North calls U.S. hostility "which spawned the nuclear issue," a spokesman from the North's Foreign Ministry said in a statement. That would "automatically result in the denuclearization of the peninsula."

The unnamed spokesman, quoted by the North's official Korean Central News Agency, said such a move would "give a strong impetus" to the six nation arms talks set to resume Tuesday in Beijing.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wonder if Mr Kim is sincere. He apparently has been very encouraging, lately, about the prospects for peace with the U.S. Then there was the story yeaterday, regarding China's promise to not fire nukes, at the U.S. and I wondered, then, whether China was sending a signal to KIm. Now, it looks like that may have been the case.

I guess we will all know fairly soon, as the talks begin on Sunday. Fingers crossed.

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
english.aljazeera.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.atsnn.com...
www.atsnn.com...

[edit on 7/22/2005 by lightseeker]

new topics

join