It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Suicide Bomber Shot At Stockwell Tube Station

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
BBC reporting more incidents:

Suspicous package on a train between Southhampton and London

'Incident' at Canary Wharf in the last hour - no details given.

Police news conference postponed by an hour.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
incident at canary wharf. Area sealed off.

there is NO reports of the guy not having explosives on him. Fox reported that Skynews said it, but Skynews hasn't said anything about that.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Thanks for that reply, and i certainly won't get miffed over it as it contains some very valid points.

Thanks for understanding where I'm coming from. I think some one earlier in the thread thought I was talking smack against the U.K., when, in fact, I was requesting that people see that extreme measures to terrorist threats is not a "U.S. Wild West mentality" unique thing. It's a sociological thing - doesn't matter what language you speak or what side of the road you drive on.

nerdling and I have discussed for some time that the one thing that could cause a sure victory for the amorphously defined extremists who seem to be hell bent on destroying western society would be the beginnings of random shot-gun (as in Israel) type smaller attacks that happen at your daily points of life (when you're trying to get to work, when you go to the shopping mall, when you're eating your dinner in a restaurant, etc.). Because the authorities are left with these "martial law" type responses, or just letting them blow handfuls of us up every other day. Both is a win for the Bomber-kazes.

There are some questions concerning this particular incident though, that I would like to hear more on.

For instance, I have heard one report that they had been following him. This would be supported by the fact that just as soon as this incident occurred they id'd him as "one of yesterday's bombers". You either have to make a visual id or already know who the person is (name, address, whatever) before you can immediately say that. My question on this is, if, in fact, they had been following him (even for no more than a block, but possibly since sometime yesterday?) why did they wait until he got to a train station to stop him?

My second observation - that confuses me - is that this guy is said to have ran when the cops started questioning him. Okay - he ran through a crowded train platform and didn't blow himself up in the crowd? It's not like he had a requirement to be on a train! And every step he took in which he didn't blow himself up was one more second the cops could make his "mission" fail. That part confuses me.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Pakistan's Pervez Musharraf needs to look in the mirror a bit more often.
Pakistan plays the game of helping in the war on terrorism, and yet, lays the blame at the wrong feet. He needs to look to his own feet.

seekerof

AMEN, Odds are that the most important Terrorist in the world is in HIS country, yet he talks about how the UK is a haven for Terrorists.

H.Y.P.O.C.R.Y.T.E.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
There have already been two days of attacks. And now we have a guy jumping the turnstyle. IMO, he needed to be shot to remove his utter stupidity from the gene pool if nothing else. His actions were cause enough to use lethal force whether or not it turns out he did have any type of explosive. You can't expect the police to wait until he actually detonates. Their actions were totally appropriate given the circumstances. I would have rather they taken him alive and found out if he was just a lone nut or part of something larger, but when you have to make a split-second decision between holding him and giving him a chance to detonate, or to just remove that possibility entirely, I can't say I blame the police for choosing the latter. Even if he had no explosives on him, he may have simply been the triggerman for preset bombs. Or he may have just been an unlucky idiot. He doesn't get any sympathy from me.

That said, it's all fun and nice to say what we would and would not have done in the comfort of our homes in front of the warm glow of our computer monitors. But when you are actually in a situation and you have taken an oath to defend the lives of your fellow citizens, you have only a moment to make a decision that could save the lives of dozens of people. That's pressure if I've ever heard of it, and in high-pressure situations you may make a msitake. Or you may make the absolutely right decision. But there's no way to know until after the fact.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   

My second observation - that confuses me - is that this guy is said to have ran when the cops started questioning him. Okay - he ran through a crowded train platform and didn't blow himself up in the crowd? It's not like he had a requirement to be on a train! And every step he took in which he didn't blow himself up was one more second the cops could make his "mission" fail. That part confuses me.

its odd valhall and i aint going to lie. it doesn't seem right. Yesterday he probably expected to be dead after his bomb, but it failed to go off. He could off freaked when the police approached him and ran.

im still sticking to my theory that yesterday was a copy cat, because i have never known to see a terrorist group to pull off the same attack twice.

It really doesnt make any sense to me

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by hands
BBC reporting more incidents:

Suspicous package on a train between Southhampton and London

thats right by me.
lets hope its not a biological bomb or im #ed.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It sounds to me like undercover agents were most likely already following this guy, since it was said that the cops who shot him were wearing "plain clothes". The person probably figured they were on to him and began to run. The undercover cops had to make a decision before anything bad could happen and they decided to take him out.

Sounds pretty simple, IMO.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
On the BBC, it was said that the police have a shoot to kill policy (at the head) on suicide bombers which is correct IMO.

[edit on 22-7-2005 by Flyer]

CX

link   

The only reason i can think of is that the platform itself was'nt too busy and a packed train was a better option?

Just heard the Sky News reader mention something about rumours circulating relating to the "armed plain clothes officers" that shot this guy, actualy being members of the armed forces "possibly special forces". The correspondant on the ground at Scotland Yard was very quick to qualm that rumour, saying that they were just highly trained officers from SO19 firearms squad who were trained to follow people covertly.

My personal feelings are that whether they are true or not, they should make it common knowledge that the SAS are out there in plain clothes watching for these guys, might even the fear element that these people have put into the public here!

CX.

[edit on 22-7-2005 by CX]

link   

Originally posted by mpeake
It sounds to me like undercover agents were most likely already following this guy, since it was said that the cops who shot him were wearing "plain clothes". The person probably figured they were on to him and began to run. The undercover cops had to make a decision before anything bad could happen and they decided to take him out.

Sounds pretty simple, IMO.

Oh let's hope this is not the case - because this would equate to shear negligence and endangerment. I'm sorry - you don't tail a guy you suspect of attempting to blow people up all the way to a train station and then decide "OH shyte! He might blow himself up!"

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

I think you'll find that this guy didn't have a bomb on him, which is why he didn't blow himself up. Which the police didn't know until he was dead.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
it was officers from the metropoliton special branch. No agents, just special trained police officers.

btw, is it normal for eyewitness to be taken away in police vans?

Armed police in Harrow road now. An incident is going down.

[edit]

Police Snipers in the area

[edit on 22-7-2005 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
So a guy was running from the police and they jumped on top of him and shot him 5 times, 3 times in the head?
Wha? Did he even have a weapon or explosives?

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

The last bombs were shoddily built and didn't detonate. Could eb the same situation her,e he's runnign and wildly pressing the detonator, with nothing occuring.

Or he's just a fool who thoguht it was a good idea to blow past the police in the underground who are stationed there for the express purpose of stopping people from doing that. In that situation, you really have to assume he's up to no good, because very few people actually are that incompetent at life.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
So a guy was running from the police and they jumped on top of him and shot him 5 times, 3 times in the head?
Wha? Did he even have a weapon or explosives?

he had something strapped to his chest with wires coming out of it.

[edit on 22-7-2005 by Flyer]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
CNN is reporting that Scottland Yard has confirmed that they did identify four suspects from yesterday using CCTV cameras and they were in fact looking for certain individuals raising the possiblity the man shot this morning could have in fact been one of them, since he could have been under surveilance.

OT for a min. Shots hands infinite three pints of his favorite ale and tells him to chill out and stop being so paranoid

Now BOT this is something we are all going to have to learn to live with given the current trend in terrorists attacks. No one wants them and we have to stop them no matter what it takes.

Perhaps banning backpacks outright would be a good place to start.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Do the Shots Fired in the "Suicide Bomber" Start and Explosion, if the guys is Wirted and Full of Explosives?

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
people are whinging that this guy was hit five times.

well what choice do you have. five shots. or fifty more dead.

pretty clear in my maths book.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Do the Shots Fired in the "Suicide Bomber" Start and Explosion, if the guys is Wirted and Full of Explosives?
Thats why they are instructed to aim for the head.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join