It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

NEWS: Hunger Strike At Guatanamo.

page: 1
7

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
52 Guatanamo inmates have gone on hunger strike in protest at their continued detention and treatment. Of the 500 currently detained only 4 have been charged. The information that the hunger strike by 52 inmates has been going on for 3 days is contradicted by a recently released Afghan inmate who claimed that 100 inmates had been on hunger strike for the last 2 weeks.
 

The US military released a statement claiming

"Indications are that this is a temporary effort by some detainees to protest their continued detention"


The Red Cross will be visiting the Guatanamo Bay camp this weekend to look into the situation there.


Fifty-two detainees at the US prison camp at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba are staging a hunger strike in protest at their detention and treatment.
So far, the men have refused nine consecutive meals over three days, the US military said in a statement.

The detainees are being monitored by medical professionals and their vital signs are being checked daily.

BBC

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.


To be honest I'm quite surprised that this has come out. I've got used to Guantanamo being an information black hole.




posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Whatever. I don't care. The monsters will miss their glazed chicken,
desserts, and 6 inch pancakes .... Here is their menu, complete with
calorie count and everything ...

www.house.gov...



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Apparently we are are brothers keeper. To what end does all this cover-up of detention policies lead? First we break Geneva conventions, then red cross standards, and then our own legal system principals. Yet we threaten to hold back millions of dollars from Mexico because they won't send 1 suspect back to denver. www.rightnation.us...
When will the tables turn and how can we justify our actions when other countries decide to follow our lead? Each day our rights are whittled away at by our own government in a vain attempt to squash a faceless fear. Stop the downward spiral! Try to educate the blissfully ignorant and let the truth sing before you are silenced.



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Whatever. I don't care. The monsters will miss their glazed chicken,
desserts, and 6 inch pancakes .... Here is their menu, complete with
calorie count and everything ...

www.house.gov...


Those prisoners eat better than me. I never really understood the point of hunger strikes in the first place. Sure it worked for Gandhi, but that is another case all together.

It seems if you want to efficiently protest something, you would externalize your opposition (for example, throw pancakes at the prison guards) as opposed to internalizing it (not eat anything until they fix X and Y).



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It's because they know that the world is watching.

Their hunger strike has already succeeded. The situation that those people are in has been publicised (again) because of this strike. And hopefully, it'll raise enough eyebrows to actually bring change for once.



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Hunger Strike?

Or are they BEATEN UP so bad, that they can not Eat anymore?

HMmmmmm.... I wonder...



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Geez. A million stories get out about "abuse", one rather dubious one gets blocked and it's a "black hole"?

Love the assumption the oil-funded Media has programmed you with, that these are all poor souls swept off of city streets. Nevermind that most were captured *in combat*, *in firefights*, or *with known terrorists*. Not kidnapped, not "disppeared" like the muslim governments like to do. Nor attacked by machete and torch weilding "tolerant" mobs (check out the "teapot cult" stories).

But everyone is being programmed by Media, to believe they're all poor innocent victims of American aggression. get sent to Getmo, become a saint. Read your Koran and everyone belives you're peaceful.

Bah.


Originally posted by Souljah
Hunger Strike?

Or are they BEATEN UP so bad, that they can not Eat anymore?

HMmmmmm.... I wonder...



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Will someone *PLEASE* read the entire Geneva Convention ruling on POWs and rules of war before spouting off on it?

Insurgents and non-uniformed "soldiers DO NOT qualify. Nor does *any* of the enemy as soon as *they* break it, regardless of uniform status.

The first beheading and the Convention's feel good wording was null and void.




Originally posted by DeKay
Apparently we are are brothers keeper. To what end does all this cover-up of detention policies lead? First we break Geneva conventions, then red cross standards, and then our own legal system principals. Yet we threaten to hold back millions of dollars from Mexico because they won't send 1 suspect back to denver. www.rightnation.us...
When will the tables turn and how can we justify our actions when other countries decide to follow our lead? Each day our rights are whittled away at by our own government in a vain attempt to squash a faceless fear. Stop the downward spiral! Try to educate the blissfully ignorant and let the truth sing before you are silenced.



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Let em starve.

They should be fed a kick in the teeth for Breakfast and a rifle-butt upside the head for lunch.


Maximu§



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
If all the stuff out of Getmo from "detainees" is to be believed, they've been on a hunger strike for two weeks.

With temperatures so unbearable with the AC turned down (3 people died in my sister's area in Southern Californai from the heat, voer 16 in Phoenix-but they weren't terrorists so who cares, right?) they must have had serious amounts of calories stored to survive that long.

Must be close on the record of survival, eh? How long did Ghandi's people go?

But, it will work and has. Hunger strikes and protests only work in civilized nations. Try one in an Iranian or Mexican or French prison and see how well it works.



posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hunger Strike?

Let me get this right, they get fed better than I do, human rights advocates freak out if their air conditioning goes out and they want to go on a hunger strike?

...and I'm supposed to care if they go on hunger strike?

just for the record, I dont care, in fact I find it humorous.




top topics



 
7

log in

join