It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you do if a Nuclear Blast goes off near you? How do you survive?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT!

Ok this thread is for you to find the links and information to prepare yourself and your family as best you can. You can take it or leave it but most of us havent really given this much thought. Even if you think its an inside job or not, the event could still happen.

After 911, the store shelves were emptied very quickly, so here is a 'quick guide' that will give you information that could save you and your families life.

Lets all pray that nothing happens, but if it does, wouldn't it be nice to know 'what' to do?

This guide is for families preparing for imminent terrorist or strategic nuclear attacks with expected severe destruction followed by widespread radioactive fallout downwind.

Now I know that the all out attack is not likely but, the limited one is becoming more of a threat all the time....

#1 - STAY OR GO?

You must decide FIRST if you need to prepare where you are, or attempt evacuation. The nature of the threat, your prior preparations, and your confidence in your sources of information should direct your decision. If you know already you will be preparing to stay at your own home or, at least, the immediate local area, go now to #2 below.

#2 - WHAT YOU NEED TO DO FIRST

Because time is of the essence, you need to first delegate and assign to different adult family members specific tasks so they can all be accomplished at the same time. Your first priorities to assure your family survival are Shelter, Water, and Food/Supplies. While some are working on the water storage and shelter at home, others need to be acquiring, as much as possible, the food and supplies.

#3 - FOOD/SUPPLIES

Because much of the food and supplies listed on the last page of this guide may quickly become unavailable, quantities restricted, and/or the streets and stores may become un-safe soon, you need to assign someone NOW to immediately go to the stores with that list! Get cash from the bank and ATM's first, but try and use credit cards at the stores, if at all possible, to preserve your cash.

#4 - WATER

With one or more adults now heading to the stores with the list on the last page, those remaining need to begin storing water IMMEDIATELY! Lack of clean water will devastate your family much more quickly and more severely than any lack of food. Without water for both drinking and continued good sanitary practices in food preparation and for bathroom excursions (which will inevitably be much less sanitary than normal), debilitating sickness could rampage through your household with little hope of prompt medical attention. That is a highly likely but, avoidable, disaster, ONLY IF you have enough water.

#5 - SHELTER

The principles of radiation protection are simple - with many options and resources families can use to prepare or improvise a very effective shelter. You must throw off the self-defeating myths of nuclear un-survivability that may needlessly seal the fate of less informed families.

#6 - ESSENTIAL DETAILS

If you've accomplished the above; securing your supplies, stored water, and built your family fallout shelter, CONGRATULATIONS! You have now succeeded in improving the odds of survival for your family 100-fold, or more! Now, you need to expand your knowledge and fine-tune the tactics that will make the most of your family survival strategy.

LIST OF SUPPLIES TO ACQUIRE LOCALLY...

These are just excerpts so the whole guide would be handy to print out,

you can get it free here:

Link to Nuclear Protection Guide

You can access the web page here:
Link to web page

Another link for a much more detailed look is here:

Nuclear War Survival Skills Updated and Expanded 1987 Edition

link to online book

There are things you can do to make your home more habitable and protective for your family, the FAQ is here:

Nuclear Blast & Fallout Shelters FAQ

It's much better to risk being a little early when securing your families essential food and supplies, rather than a few hours too late...

Here are some items that you might already have but it wouldn't hurt to maybe have on hand if you can,

Canned goods (pasta, soups, chili, vegetables, fruit, tuna, meats, lots of peanut butter, etc.)
Ready-to-eat foods (pop-tarts, raisins, cheese, granola/energy/protein bars, snack-paks, etc.)
Some perishable foods (breads and fruits like bananas, apples, oranges, grapes, etc.)
Assorted drink mix flavorings (with no cold drinks, just plain water, kids will appreciate it!)
Plenty of potent Multi-Vitamins, Vit C, etc.
Iodine solution, like Betadine (16 ounces)- NOT TO BE INGESTED OR SWALLOWED!

Multiple big boxes of dried milk (Could include/use some inside shelter, too.)
Multiple big boxes of pancake and biscuit mix & syrup
Largest bags of rice
Largest bags of beans
Largest bags of flour
Largest bags of potatoes
Largest bags quick oats and other grains
Largest bags of macaroni
Large bag of sugar
Large jar of honey
Large 2 gallons or more of cooking oil
Baking powder & baking soda & spice assortment pack
Bottled water (especially if home supplies not secured yet)

Paper or plastic plates/bowls/cups/utensils
Quality manual can opener, 2 if you don't already have one at home
Kitchen matches and disposable lighters
New garbage cans and lots of liner bags (water storage & waste storage)
5 gallon bucket and smaller garbage bags sized for it (toilet)
Toilet seat for the bucket (or use one from inside the house)
Toilet paper and, if needed, sanitary napkins, diapers
Baby wipes (saves water for personal hygiene use)
Flashlights (ideally LED) and more than one portable radio
Plenty more batteries, at least three sets, for each of the above
Bleach (5.25%, without fragrance or soap additives)
Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide
Aspirin/Tylenol/Motrin, Pepto Bismol, etc.
Prescription drugs filled, and as much extra as possible
First aid kits
Fire extinguishers
Plenty of dust mask filter protectors
Cheap plastic hooded rain ponchos for everyone
Water filters and all other camping type supplies, such as Coleman cook
stove and fuel, ammo, etc., if any sporting goods stocks still available.
And, of course, rolls of plastic sheeting, duct tape, staple guns, staples, etc.

Now the reason that I looked this up is that the nuclear threats that some targets could be hit are already being spoken of by the Government. You can dismiss this all you want and I wouldnt blame you for doing so, but hindsight is always 100%, a little pre-planning now just might save your families lives later.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Great stuff.

(says she, the owner of several survival books and the associated supplies related therein...)

However...

I'm not entirely sure I'd want to be around for the aftermath. You know?

I still have my (nonexpired...woot!) water purification tablets, dried foods, spare water, canned foods, yada yada yada.

But I'm not convinced that they'd actually do much good, if the worst came to the worst.

Out of interest, is there a "list" of some sort, with a theoretical list of places which might be considered more at risk than others?

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower

Out of interest, is there a "list" of some sort, with a theoretical list of places which might be considered more at risk than others?

As far as I can tell, the list is American cities with the highest proportion of Jewish populations.

Al-Qaida's U.S. nuclear targets
Captured documents, terrorists reveal bin Laden's preferred dates, places for 'American Hiroshima'

LINK

The cities chosen as optimal targets are New York, Miami, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Boston and Washington, D.C. New York and Washington top the preferred target list for al-Qaida leadership.

Bin Laden's goal, according to G2 Bulletin sources, is to launch one initial attack, followed by a second on another city to simulate the U.S. bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The optimal dates for the attacks are Aug. 6, the anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing, Sept. 11 and May 14, the anniversary of the re-creation of the state of Israel in 1948. No specific year has been suggested, however, this Aug. 6 represents the 60th anniversary of the Hiroshima attack.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I have been thinking about this too, one of the things I have been trying to get hubby to do is start working on a dairy (root cellar) of a sorts but built like a bomb shelter. Walls reinforced and deep in the ground I want to make about 60 gallon of wine this fall also (for my own purposes not for sale) and I am thinking I could design it to function as a wine cellar and also put in a bathroom. We have our own well 365 ft. deep and our own septic system so it is feasible to actually put a bathroom in, since there will probably be no electricity to run the pump we will have to install a handpump to get the water we need. Of course we will not depend on that and still store water. One of the things I was thinking of to have hot food is to buy a supply of that canned gel and the small stove that is made for it. Of course one of the things is to get air and to filter that air and to make the entrance airtight once you shut that door, also a power source, Now I am thinking of something that provides light from a car battery for a long period of time, but what will do that? And one would need something to monitor the oxygen supply. To use a portable radio underground one would need to affix an antenna outside above ground at least I would think so.
If I do survive I intend to stay slightly or fully intoxicated most of the time to help deal with the situation, in those old films we watched in school they said you could come out of your shelter after 14 days, but I think to be even safer I will try for 28 days or maybe 46 or maybe until I run out of wine.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Awesome post Ed. I purchased a year ago the freeplay plus radio (wind up and solar, also am/fm/sw1/sw2 with a 6 led flashlite with 6' cord) and wind up LED Flashlight from the C.Crane Company. they both incorporate the Baylis Clockwork Generator and they work awesome. A must for any survival kit.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nuke data from the USA government here too

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nuke data from the USA government here too

Excellent post!

Well the information is there, it is what we do with it that will determine wether we live or die if the unthinkable happens.

Thanks

cjf

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Great post.

If I may add, these are a couple of simple, inexpensive items which have long shelf lives and can add to safety, health and comfort. In addition to the standard ‘purchased’ first aid kit which have very limited items in these categories (if any) as they are not designed to sustain basic medical ‘needs’ for any extended period.

During any serious ‘event’ medical assistance may be some time away, adding few items to a kit can help extend time for eventual emergency care: Liquid Benadryl (read the label) to help counter mild/unknown allergic reactions to insect bites or stings (especially with children) or foodstuffs. Even if you do not wear contacts, keep a good supply of basic eyewash. Add to the ‘first aid’ kit plenty of general over-the-counter triple antibiotic ointment (think of it as if you had to treat a wound 2-3 times a day for a few days) and over-the-counter real antiseptic mouthwash (which has many other uses most listed on the label).

Oh, and don’t forget to be current on your Tetanus vaccination (ouch).

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
good info. But, isn't there like a thousand of these threads?

[edit on 21-7-2005 by wehrwolf]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

What do you do if a Nuclear Blast goes off near you?

StepOne squat on floor
Step Two Bend over
Step Three Grab ankles
Step Four Kiss buttocks goodbye

Seriously no amount of preparation will save you from a terrorist nuclear attack.
For the sheer simple fact that there will be no warning there'll be no prelude to war. It will happen out of nowhere. You'll be at work miles from your backyard bunker and food stash when the explosion hits good luck driving home when the streets are choked with traffic, rubble, and hordes of the badly wounded. Your family will be scattered to the four winds and no amount of wishful preparation will prevent that.

The only people who will be in a position to do anything after a nuclear attack will be those who were not attacked in the first place.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I disagree - those downwind can make arrangements.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
It'll be a great opportunity to settle some old scores. After that I'm lookin forward to Mad Max type of anarchy.

[edit on 21-7-2005 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   

adding few items to a kit can help extend time for eventual emergency care

thanx for that post cjf, saw a couple things in there that i didnt have in my kit.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
It depends on what type of Nuke is used and how far are you away from it.

Some of the most HIgh TEch government facilities used to hold VIP's can only with stand a 7 mega-ton nuclear blast directly.

Russia has tested a 70- mega-ton if not a 100 (those were decades ago). The rays that the bomb releases will enter your body and basically cook you from the inside (your tissue). The sound can be so intense that you will actually hear nothing, because it temporary (or permanetly) disables your ears.
Surviving a bomb like that isn't going to make a difference if you have a bomb shelter or not. Their made to with stand just maybe a 1 mega-ton.

Survive the flash
Survive the heat
Survive the shock-wave
Survive the vaccum
Survive the rays
Survive the radiation (depends on where the winds blowing)
Water will be poisoned, same with trees and food.
Radiation takes a very long time to go away, not an easy life .

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Its about time for a standing ovation. Thanks Ed and Skippy. Nice to see a less
trolled public service (Skippy's was hit hard by the "encourage the enemy posts").

If things like this make it to the search engines, it will go a long way towards cancelling the bad press from the Weiss thing.

A prepared people are more formidable. Even talking about this goes a long way in the right direction.
That this is starting to happen on left wing nutter boards is also commendable. As for those who want to troll
down the quality of this post, at best, nothing will happen and it is forgotten in less than a week. At worst,
you are future Darwin Award winners. While it may draw accolades from fellow America Bashers,
basic survival trumps accolades anyday.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Oh heres some pretty interesting vids of nukes.

www.big-boys.com...

and..

www.big-boys.com...

and just for the hell of it.
www.big-boys.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Grab your sweetie, a couple of lawn chairs, a batch of Magaritas a big fat joint and a big ass bottle of sunblock 5000

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Don't know if it will help but I had some survival links I kept from long ago.

www.oism.org...
www.pbs.org...
www.webpal.org...
www.survivalring.org...
survivalinstinct.com...
www.survivalcenter.com...
globalcircle.net...
www.frugalsquirrels.com...

And if you really, really want to survive find your nearest cave.
(Scroll toward bottom for cave links)
www.sauderzone.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Oh, and resolve your fear. Fear now, may cause panic in the face of what you fear. Transform that fear. Remember, no one makes it off this rock alive. So fear of death is silly.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
shadowsource
Absolutely correct. The man who has no fear of death is invincible.

All the preparation in the world won't mean a thing if you can't control your mind and, in turn, use it to control your body in a time of crisis.

Psychological preparation is probably the most ignored. You don't have to be a survival nut to take surviving seriously. But don't let it rule you.

There are plenty of technical manuals available for people to prepare themselves. Mental preparation is too often ignored, and there's not as much material available on it. Thanks shadowsource for mentioning this important point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join