It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSNN Respect.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SomewhereinBetween
What you are attempting is to give the impression that members have the right to post their opinions freely, where it is implied by the course of this thread that you in fact then subjucate those opinions to a mold which you forged. And further, you are depending on the silencing of dissent (based on moderator perception) to attract non-members into the fold, who, were they to then voice an opinion that either of you deem to be unsavoury, is all of a sudden no longer the customer you solicit but the employee you read the rule book to.

Now you can take my criticism in the constructive vein within which it is meant, or you can discard same and assume that your reprimands are and always will be righteous simply because you believe you know best.

I stated my case once before about PTS, after a drive to solicit contributors was posted, which went unheeded, and yet I still witness numerous failed campaigns to raise backing in that site. I tell you now your focus here is blurred, and you do nothing but find excuses, and as with PTS your appeal is not the one to take.

OK, I see you have an axe to grind. The only direction that I take as far as moderation goes is to keep it clean, thus this thread. I have no further agenda, I do not steer threads, I basically maintain the peace. I think that your concerns are unfounded and I have no excuses, I don't need them. If you want to continue this, I suggest we take it to u2u and allow this thread to continue.

See, same thing I do in ATSNN.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I believe he was talking about the fact that the way in which we express our opinions when we're in an ATSNN thread are held to a higher standard than the rest of the discussion board.

This isn't anything new.

Bingo Val! Although I think SWIB thinks we should change, that isn't going to happen. Even if I wanted it to, it's not my call. I'm just trying to elevate the level of the News Forum.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I can respond to your long post with a comparatively short one.

I would hope not.
What would you hope not?

I don't think

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I can respond to your long post with a comparatively short one.

I would hope not.
What would you hope not?

I would hope that intent would not be to squelch opposing views.

I don't think

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Taken to u2u so that the thread could continue. In case anyone forgot what it's about, read the first post.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepidOK, I see you have an axe to grind.
Dear boy, you may choose to attempt to invalidate my statements any which way that makes you rise to the top in your own eyes. Denial will not serve your purpose, nor will your hedonistic approach to having all of the answers.

The only direction that I take as far as moderation goes is to keep it clean, thus this thread. I have no further agenda, I do not steer threads, I basically maintain the peace. I think that your concerns are unfounded and I have no excuses, I don't need them. If you want to continue this, I suggest we take it to u2u and allow this thread to continue.
No, I prefer an open and public approach when discussing matters of community. Have you something against that? And let me be clear here, your direction whether it is that which is given to you or that which is obstinence is not working or you would not find it necessary to be making your appeal.

See, same thing I do in ATSNN.
Which would be what exactly?

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I see no reason for you to continually jack this thread. It's about making our finest forum better.

Will you not let this thread continue in the vein that it was meant?

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I see no reason for you to continually jack this thread. It's about making our finest forum better.
Is that what it is truly about Intrepid? You made an appeal on the initial post because that is what you and solely want?

Your appeal was wayward! Your finest forum's capabilities are not limited to the minds dressed by administratvie title.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Is that what it is truly about Intrepid? You made an appeal on the initial post because that is what you and solely want?

Your appeal was wayward! Your finest forum's capabilities are not limited to the minds dressed by administratvie title.

Yes, that's what I want. I want a stronger, cleaner ATSNN. That's all.

Your appeal was wayward!

I don't think so. You seem to be the only person with a problem with this.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I agree completely with what Intrepid said, but I have a question.

To what degree can the members help by pointing this out to reticent members, by asking them to show some decorum?

I certainly don't want to play mod, but it's natural for me to remind people of the rules when I see them being broken. Is this frowned upon or appreciated by staff?

I imagine there might be a sense of "That's not your job, you're just taking the thread more off topic." Is that actually the case or no?

I usually only get involved to speak out against racism and personal insults, since these bother me the most within ATSNN. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but that's what it is.

[edit on 21-7-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I agree completely with what Intrepid said, but I have a question.

To what degree can the members help by pointing this out to reticent members, by asking them to show some decorum?

I certainly don't want to play mod, but it's natural for me to remind people of the rules when I see them being broken. Is this frowned upon or appreciated by staff?

I imagine there might be a sense of "That's not your job, you're just taking the thread more off topic." Is that actually the case or no?

I usually only get involved to speak out against racism and personal insults, since these bother me the most within ATSNN. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but that's what it is.

[edit on 21-7-2005 by WyrdeOne]

My toes are squarely tucked away. No problem. Anyone can u2u me at any time. Just remember I live EST, the same as New York, which means I'll be going to bed soon. We have mods around the world though. If you need something the "suggestions" button is your best friend. Every mod and counsellor sees those.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
To help get this thread on track I'll say one of my ideas. I think that in order to vote on a submission they have to elaborate on what they voted. Many times someone will vote on something but you can never know what exactly in there opinion wasn't good enough. Like biased sources. I don't see MSNBC as a biased news source for some topics yet others do.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ValhallI would hope that intent would not be to squelch opposing views.
Your hope appears to be fruitless;

Swearing, censor circumvention, blanket accusations about whole races, name calling, etc, are not wanted in this forum.
As far as I can determine as have been said many times before, moderators each have different gauges, so what offends one does not necessarily mean it will offend another. Herein lies the rub; all of your aforementioned is subjective interpretation.

One can couch the sentence in niceties all one likes, the intent is such:

We can not allow this forum to continue in this manner. If further action is needed by the staff to ensure that ATSNN remains a cut above the rest of the Net, including ATS, we will have to take it.
Which means what exactly if not to squelch opposing views?

Here let me say it in a cleaner manner: I don't think that intrepid meant that any given "view" should be oppressed or silenced. How's that?
Refer above. Now why you two are going to such extremes to first reprimand the members, then dismiss some advice from one, is a mystery. Is it that your philosophy cannot tolerate challenge?

I believe he was talking about the fact that the way in which we express our opinions when we're in an ATSNN thread are held to a higher standard than the rest of the discussion board.
And I believe I made myself clear that ATS has afforded said opportunity; that ATS has the ability to enhance its policies rather than pretend its policies are beyond reproach to begin with, and ATS should not be putting out a sign for investors when in fact it is really looking for employees.

He didn't say anything about submissions. He was referring to the unseemly manner in which some members have behaved in ATSNN threads lately.
I refer you back to my posts which addresses cause and effect rather than just the latter.

That you extrapolate this thread to apply to submissions is quite a stretch - and kind of weird, in my opinion. The rules of higher behavior in ATSNN threads are not a secret and have been voiced from day one of ATSNN.
Is that so? Why?

The rules may be as they are, but the rules undeniably allow for a submission to be met with rebuttal, and is rebuttal that is at the heart of this thread. What is so difficult for intrepid or you to acknowledge that the rules in this regard are not adequately addressing your perceived goals? Just change them, rather than continue this lengthy debate which only goes to show that the initial memorandum was a directive couched in HR language.

ATS is whatever it is - whether that be simple or complex. And whatever you perceive it to be doesn't make it any different. So any problems you have stemming from your perception are personal problems...not the board's.
”The board” is inanimate. “Personal” is not, and I have never known any inanimate object to be capable of thought much less able to make a decision, hence I say to you; “the board” has a problem, where “the board” is representative of those who make decisions, and since that animate board, collective or otherwise, appeals to its members and membership as to adherence to rules of law, via personal cognizance, it has a problem with the perception of the viable nature of the business which it is entrusted to ensure.

You can take the advice as coming from someone who has no monetary investment or superfluous position in need of protecting, reflect on it or outright dismiss it as you have done. It matters not.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
*sigh* ATSNN is supposed to be moderated at a higher level than the rest of the board. Alot of us put alot of time and effort into keeping up the quality and content.

I fail to see why there is any objection to Intrepids points anywhere in this thread. No ones ability to debate the topic at hand is being denied here. However violations of the T&C should be dealt with and quite frankly the profanity, racism, generaliztions and the like DO NOTHING to contribute to the debate at hand.

Edit: More to the point why has this carried on for 30+ replies. A member of the staff posted a message asking for a bit on docurum in the forum rather than just going through and handing out warns. And quite frankly none of what he mentioned is new for ATSNN or ATS, Its spelled out quite clearly in the T&C of the site that everybody agrees to. Period, done, end of story.

Lets discuss some news eh?

[edit on 7/22/05 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Thanks Fred. What is asked is treat ATSNN like your Grandparents, you don't disrespect your Grandparents. Who would? Use the same language. Keep it clean.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
May be going out on a limb here but I have good balance. The story "London on high alert...."
appears to have changed since I came in and read it. My first thought was......UNPROFESSIONAL
A lot of news sites allow commentary. I read some here for that very reason. Now it looks lots better
with the offending posts removed. Was it two posts or three, cant remember....
The potty mouths are gone. Professional news sites dont work that way, and neither do those who comment.
Dont matter what your opinion is, if you cant say it professionally, without the gutter talk to destroy whatever point
you had, that is stupidity. At least ignorance is correctable.

Lets start over. I like my news professional, AND the commentary as well. Potty talk aint opinion or bias or
commentary.

(Note to self....was it Rod Serling that once described somewhere in between as the Twilight Zone? )

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
YA Guys...I think the opening post says it all!!!

Let me try to address Somewhereinbetween's misunderstanding.

You see my boy...ATS is getting to be big time, and by big time I mean ($$$$). So big in fact that they're forming a corporation. And they need to attract sponsors. In fact they say that "legitimate" news groups are now turning to ATS for breaking information. Groups like TV and Newpapers. Groups that bring in the potential for ($$$$). And since ATSNN is the obvious route for those groups to take, WE DON"T WANT ANY DIRTY LANGUAGE OR IMMATURE BEHAVIOR GOING ON THERE!
My God! Whats CNN gonna think??

Its that simple. Can't attract and retain "child friendly and pro-family" sponsors with your filthy-flarn-filth-flarn filth nasty language.

Now stop questioning things..OK? Or maybe you didn't notice that the guy who started this thread was a MODERATOR. That means important.

Now go back to clicking on the sponsor threads and stop giving ATS and its hard-working-staff problems.

If you don't like ATS then you can just leave!

There is no friend anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
At least we can say penis.

Connie Chung can say it, we should be able to as well.

We can also say mung..and meekrob...

Oh, and litoral! That's a dirty one! No..wait..that's not right..

Hmmmm...

I will say this. Everybody should learn to speak without profanity, so that they can better appreciate when profanity is necessary. You have to learn the rules to break them, yaknow?

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voice_of DoomLet me try to address Somewhereinbetween's misunderstanding.

You see my boy...
"try"is the operative word. Firstly, that should at least be; 'my girl' if equivalents are to be used, since I trust you consider yourself ether girlish or boyish.

ATS is getting to be big time, and by big time I mean ($$$$). So big in fact that they're forming a corporation. And they need to attract sponsors. In fact they say that "legitimate" news groups are now turning to ATS for breaking information. Groups like TV and Newpapers. Groups that bring in the potential for ($$$$). And since ATSNN is the obvious route for those groups to take, WE DON"T WANT ANY DIRTY LANGUAGE OR IMMATURE BEHAVIOR GOING ON THERE!
Are they now? Well, I am not one to oppose capitalistic growth, after all I have been involved in the capitalistic growth of 3 of what are now solidly ranked within the top one hundred companies world wide, two of the largest private ventures in North America, and two governmental ventures during my career. And trust me, I am unimpressed by the trivialities which others in here deem to be big business. Now, my dear boy, all you need do is look back at any of my commentary relative to board questions and you will note that my underlying posts have always spoken to the monetary gains and business reasons for any changes, unlike the awe inspired posts by those who have no clue that this board as with any other, operates for profit first. Do you actually believe that some benevolent unknown would fund for non-profit, the ramblings of any and everyone?

You see, as much as you would like to believe otherwise, I am always several steps ahead, and I emphasize; always. And as I have already stated, my advice can either be accepted or discarded, same is free and affordable in this particular format. And I truly do not care what is or is not accepted, it has been offered to the betterment of this site, not to its detriment, because I happen to willingly hold membership in same and by that very fact, am a stakeholder in its continued existence. Obstinence from pride just tickles my fancy however since, wise principals do not fool themselves into believing that they and their advisors only, have all the answers or are the best there is.

My God! Whats CNN gonna think??
Who cares what CNN thinks? That is the difference between you and me, you are limited by capacity to thinking locally, I think globally.

Its that simple. Can't attract and retain "child friendly and pro-family" sponsors with your filthy-flarn-filth-flarn filth nasty language.
I happened upon your posts as I was reading from latest back, so I suppose that utterance must have something to do with a post other than mine.

Now stop questioning things..OK? Or maybe you didn't notice that the guy who started this thread was a MODERATOR. That means important.
Well now. Is your point then that lowly members should cower to the local constabulary? From that I gather you are trying to portray an acknowledgement of classes, where the privileged has at its advantages and the sole ability to silence the peons. Trust me, it will one day come to that I am sure.

Now go back to clicking on the sponsor threads and stop giving ATS and its hard-working-staff problems.
You are a mere teen either in age or in mental development, aren’t you?

If you don't like ATS then you can just leave!
My goodness, you sound angry. Does this mean that you do not approve of anyone on this site stating opinions that are not in line with your own?

[edit on 7/22/05 by SomewhereinBetween]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
W
o
w!

Somewhereinbetween....Im appalled. For someone who like to use big words...I'll give you one to look up. SARCASM!
Once you finished with that feel free to reread my post. You might find it illuminating.

There is no enemy anywhere - Lao Tse

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join