It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

german president dissolves parliament

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Köhler Dissolves Parliament; Calls Early Elections

German President Horst Köhler told his compatriots on Thursday that he would dissolve parliament and called for federal elections on September 18.

German President Horst Köhler gave the okay to dissolve parliament Thursday and called for an early general election on September 18 which polls show Chancellor Gerhard Schröder will lose.

"It is my duty as president to decide this issue according to the law," he told the nation in a televised broadcast. "I think it is best to have a new election to let the people decide."

The announcement came three weeks after Schröder engineered his own defeat in a parliamentary confidence vote in order to call early elections and one day before the expiration of the 21-day deadline he is allowed under the constitution to make the decision. His decision, one of the few real powers he has as ceremonial head of state, could be overturned by the constitutional court.

.....[see link: www.dw-world.de... ]

As patriot I think it was a good decision, as if the government rules another year, that wouldnt have caused a better position for our people, but on the other hand, I think it is wrong, as long as our constitution doesnt allow it, they have to change it, but they have reasons to keep it this way, as that was the way nazis came to power...

A pretty hard situation, what is your opinion? (other germans, and other people who know a bit about the german constitution, I DONT ask some yanks that know #)

[edit on 21-7-2005 by Wodan]

ed to shorten lengthy cut and paste

[edit on 21-7-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Interesting events and an interesting situation with respect to the German constitution Wodan.

I'm not claiming any great expertise in the German constitution here but I am aware of some of its roots immeadiately post-war.
I suppose all one can say is that there are perfectly understandable 'forces' at work here.

On the one hand (for obvious reasons) the German constitution has been heavily 'engineered' to promote political stability and concensus as much as possible.
On the other there is political reality.

I personally think that Germany does not any longer have to fear the political possibilities 'to the nth degree' and if this 'faked' no confidence vote was what it took to 'lance the boil' of the current political impasse in Germany and provide clear direction via a renewed mandate (or a new mandate for an alternative) then so be it.

Some prefer the discipline 'fixed terms' bring and others see benefits in a degree of flexibility.
I doubt there is a 'right' answer but I doubt anyone should worry if your politicians have worked together to find a way to 'adjust' (by only 1yr?) mere 'timing'.

I think there are more serious matters.

[edit on 21-7-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   

ed to shorten lengthy cut and paste

[edit on 21-7-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

Uhhmm...

I already shortned it...

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Very interesting Wodan, but let me ask, why don't you want "yanks" to reply? Sorry I know it's off topic but I don't think you can "deny ignorance" by merely being ignorant. I do believe this forum is open to all, is it not?

Some links so us stupid "yanks" can read up a little:
Grundgesetz (basic law/ the term for the German constitution)
Constructive Vote of No Confidence (the vote Shroeder engineered his own defeat in)

Just my opinion here (sorry Wodan, you get it any way) but it seems that being behind by 15 to 21 points in the polls, behind Merkel's Conservatives, this is a political gamble. Especially if they end up needing to change the Grundgesetz, that seems dirty and back handed to me.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
thank you for bringing this to light

Isn't it true that the neo-nazi groups such as the NPD, tend to do well in parliament election? that is what worries me..

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by looking4truth
Very interesting Wodan, but let me ask, why don't you want "yanks" to reply? Sorry I know it's off topic but I don't think you can "deny ignorance" by merely being ignorant. I do believe this forum is open to all, is it not?

for me (and most of my fellow countrymen I know) yank doesnt equal american, someone who isnt the stereotype and has some education about foreign nations, and can contribute some way is ok, but its a unbeleavable high rate of americans that make pretty stupid comments on foreign issues, many of them not even ever left their country in their lifetime...

Isn't it true that the neo-nazi groups such as the NPD, tend to do well in parliament election? that is what worries me..

errm... infinite it seems you make a bigger topic out of the npd than it is, their chance is pretty low to get into parliament, they grow but it will take, with the same growth rate for sure more than 3 other years till they get nation-wide over 5% (and its not really sure that they grow with this speed longer)

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   

errm... infinite it seems you make a bigger topic out of the npd than it is, their chance is pretty low to get into parliament, they grow but it will take, with the same growth rate for sure more than 3 other years till they get nation-wide over 5% (and its not really sure that they grow with this speed longer)

Well, the only info i have on them is from UK media etc and they have a habit of making them look big.

thank you clearing it up though

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Well, the only info i have on them is from UK media etc and they have a habit of making them look big.

thank you clearing it up though

I recently heared in surveys the NPD fell in Saxony (only state they are in parliament) from 9% to 4% (so they are now even under the borderline which is the minimum for a party to come into parliament(5%))

(and I am pretty sure british medias will not inform anybody about it, as this is a boring news for the british sun reader..)

[edit on 27-7-2005 by Wodan]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I think that Wodan is wrong about if the current government is good or not. I think they are good, if to disregard the following:
1) They didn't prevent Poland from joining the EU.
2) They didn't strengthend the military. (The German military is good anyway.)

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I cant read Wodans posts, are they deleted?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24
I cant read Wodans posts, are they deleted?

I can't view Wodan's posts too. But when I search for them with the searcher, I get some results - I just can't view them.
EDIT: When I posted this message, I could view his posts. I saw the following ranks under his name:

Fürst der Finsternis
BANNED MEMBER

So he has been banned.

[edit on 2-8-2005 by AtheiX]

top topics

join