It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asimo the robot meets Japanese and Czech leaders

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 10:39 AM
link   
i was reading BBC ceefax last night and i came accross a story that shows the extent to which cybernetics has evolved (apart from any shady, behind the scenes, US goverment, conspiracy, alien tech SSSSSHHHHHIIIIIII......*ahem*, stuff)

anyway the japanese and the Czech leaders are meeting for a state dinner, and they will be accompanied by Asimo, a 'bot that can walk, talk, shake hands, and even recognise voices

which raises the point that it can only be a matter of time before 'bots are faster smarter and stronger than us. oh dear....

any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 10:42 AM
link   
on one of my older posts i touched on this subject. I believe machines shouldn't get smarter because if they get the ability to think, it will be are downfall...

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 10:50 AM
link   
From which country was is it developed , hope its not Iraq!

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:03 AM
link   
as soon as true ai exsists, and it connects to the internet, we are buggered, it will do exacally what the machines do in terminator...

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Blade Runner
as soon as true ai exsists, and it connects to the internet, we are buggered, it will do exacally what the machines do in terminator...

What you mean they will talk like Arnie! if so thats dam scarey

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   
like the ending of blade runner, one of the robots, knows its going to die soon and it doesnt want to..

so it goes to see its creator, who wont or cant help it, unpon realizing that there is no heaven for machines, the robot pokes out its masters eyes with its thumbs and crushes his head, killing his own creator...

i think true computer ai, would be more hassle than its worth.. aslong as computers work like flowcharts, they should never be a problem and should allways be usefull..

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk

Originally posted by The Blade Runner

What you mean they will talk like Arnie! if so thats dam scarey

lololololol

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Nah seriously if they do turn out like terminator then their wont be a human race, i mean that is ACTUALLY a
scarey thought.

What would Arnie do???

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:14 AM
link   
well my view is true ai, would percieve humans to be a threat to its own exsistance, and exterminate them all...

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Yeah and we would stand no chance whatsoever.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Robots should never be above us, once that happens they will develop a kind of a intellingence that would detroy us. That is why we must monitor them always. I know it is a big break through for Mankind to actually create something that could be our successors. One day robots would do every thing for us including taking over our jobs and professions. But what would we do... simple we would try to master our next Frontier, Space!

[Edited on 22-8-2003 by hellfireburns]

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hellfireburns
Robots should never be above us, once that happens they will develop a kind of a intellingence that would detroy us. That is why we must monitor them always. I know it is a big break through for Mankind to actually create something that could be our successors. One day robots would do every thing for us including taking over our jobs and professions. But what would we do... simple we would try to master our next Frontier, Space!

[Edited on 22-8-2003 by hellfireburns]

You are right they shouldnt but they might be if what we sse in movies is transcribe into real life then we are in trouble.But robots are replacing humans in a work enviroment like car factories, so who knows in the future maybe machines will replace us in office work.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   
yes but these robots wont be true ai, they will be following a program...

programed robots wont be a threat unless they are programmed to be...

ai, will be self aware, which would make it highly dangerous as an ai computer would be able to hack as easily as humans think, imagine if it was connected to security systems, air conditioning and everything, sheesh

it would be able to reroute power to your toaster and make it explode as you grab your slice of toast ..

it could hack into phone lines tap them, it would know every single language, it could move satelites in space, fire nukes, stop trafic lights, open flood gates..

within 24hrs of true ai becoming self aware i think possiblly 50% of the human race could be dead...

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:47 AM
link   
But programmes can be hacked and viruses can be created by the computers.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This could turn out like terminator 3, the machines are coming

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   
"they'll be back"!

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:55 AM
link   
why would they be hostile?

couldnt they be all happy and nice?

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outtis
why would they be hostile?

couldnt they be all happy and nice?

Thye could be buty that is how they are depicted and most probably that is how they would be no feeling no emotions.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Asimo's built by Honda and his homepage is here:
world.honda.com...

Do take a look at the movies. Interesting way they're balancing it, and good use of gryroscope tech.

And y'all are being alarmist, methinks. I attend some of the meetings of the Dallas Personal Robotics User Group and I don't see robots getting out of hand any more than our cars do. And the issue of viruses is interesting but moot. I suspect that, as with cars, the range of tech between models and companies (and the sheer cost of buying a robot) will make it fairly hacker proof for a very long time.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The next big thing is nano tech, I saw a commercial by HP, they said they can make a map on your T-shirt, or a cell phone that a ant would use(not meaning that these creations hace/ haven't been created) but it is a good possible outcome, I like nanos, they can come in handy one day

top topics

<<   2 >>

join