It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archangel/Super Archangel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Can anybody give me details of the Archangel UAVs and their replacement - Wraith.

(I believe the US Navy went with Wraith because of it's 'throw-away-ability' and uses it for close support for SEAL Teams, via the Iridium commercial satellite system)

Links to pics or vids would also be gratefully received.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
can't tell you much about them, sorry.
all I know is that both systems should be considered 'expendable', I guess that means they're both capable of being launched and used by an infantryman.

The US have probable some thinking to do about their uav losses in serbia.
It seems as if serbian AA fire took them down faster then the could replace them. In my mind it would be sound to develop a superior global hawk system capable of evading most ground fire (apart from sophisticated air defenses) and a number of uav's dedicated for ground troops.

That probable explains the archangel and wraith types. I think the US are rethinking their options about the best use for uav's. If they're smart they'll decide to go for micro uav's. In my opinion the best use for uav's nowadays is their capability of sharing realtime info with frontline troops.

sorry i wasn't able to answer your question but please keep us all informed if you manage to find some more info.

new topics

join