It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Sudanese Rough Up Rice Aides and Reporters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is demanding an apology from the Sudanese government after an incident where several of her staff members and American reporters accompanying her were pushed, shoved and otherwise manhandled by Sudanese authorities. Some reporters were physically removed from rooms, while others had their microphones and tape recorders taken from them forcefully. Rice was visiting Sudan to discuss the violence occuring in the Darfur region.

www.msnbc.msn.com
KHARTOUM, Sudan - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice held a congratulatory round of meetings with officials of the new unified Sudanese government Thursday, but expressed outrage after security forces manhandled aides and reporters accompanying her.
El-Bashir’s guards elbowed Americans and tried to rip a tape away from a U.S. reporter. At another point, Rice’s interpreter and some other aides accompanying her were blocked at a gate.

Ambassador Khidair Haroun Ahmed, head of the Sudanese mission in Washington, attempted to smooth over the situation. “Please accept our apologies,” he told reporters and Rice aides. “This is not our policy.”
But there was yet another scuffle with security shortly after he apologized when NBC News correspondent Andrea Mitchell tried to ask el-Bashir a question about his involvement with alleged atrocities.

"Why should the U.S. believe the Sudanese government will stop the killing when the government is still supporting the militia?" Mitchell asked, before guards grabbed her and muscled her toward the rear of the room as State Department officials shouted at the guards to leave her alone.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This shows that the Sudanese government is truly made up of thugs. I can't believe they did such undiplomatic actions against a U.S. delegation, intimidating even NBC's Andrea Mitchell, who is a tiny woman.

Related News Links:
edition.cnn.com

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
How about Removing the Sudanese Goverment?

Naaaah!

No Money there!

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
*Yawn* same tired old story eh Souljah?

Sticks to the right, dead horses to the left. ....... Souljah's on the soapbox again

[edit on 7/21/05 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Make room Souljah, this is going to have to be a bigger soapbox once Conman gets on. The US claimed after the attrocities of WWII to never let such things happen again. Yet let's look at the wars after that the US was involved in and why!:
1)Korea (Communism)...still going on and we know they have death camps but oh wait, this time its about nukes
2) Vietnam (Communism) ....that went over wonderfully
3) War that should have taken the place of Vietnam: Cambodia, those evil VietCong had to go rout Pol Pot, no the wonderful Holy USA
4)Grenada, Nicaragua, and many many other Island nations in the Carribien: COMMUNISM.
5) War that should have been: Against Chile's dictator (that we put into power) Pinchocet. Probably the Stalin of the Southern Hemisphere. But oh wait, he must be good if right wing.
6) Gulf War I WMD........we know that that went quick but never worked out totally did it? had to go back for seconds....but wait till 9
7) Bosnia: Ethnic clensing, but all we did was bomb the # out of an already poor country...nice job guys.
8)Afghanistan: So Toby Keith could profiteer off the deaths of our troops, we take over a muslim country "Looking" for one man and even with the world's best military, we still suck up on police work.
9) Gulf War II: Was it deposing Saddam? WMD? OIL? Religion? Who knows? Not even our Government! Solution: Throw away everyones rights, not just the prisoners

How many of those were for genuine defense of those who are being treated worse than those who died in the holocaust (Which mind you consisted of more than jews)? Maybe 3 on a good day....think about it! Stand up tall Souljah and make room for me. I do not feel the US should be in any war that is not on its soul but if it must be Sudan would be the one do it!

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Before judging the Sudanees, I would like to know what agreements were made about press pressence.

Don't get me wrong here, Imho the UN should've gone to Sudan long ago to protect the sudanees people from getting slaughtered by those whacked out militia.

But I guess they are worried to go to those kind of countrys, especialy after all that happend in Somalia.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
It looks like Rice did get a formal apology from the Sudan:

Reuters

ABU SHOUK, Sudan (Reuters) - Sudan's foreign minister on Thursday apologized to visiting Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice over the manhandling of U.S. officials and journalists in Khartoum, a U.S. official said.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Foreign Minister Mustafa Osman Ismail had phoned Rice while she was on a plane to Darfur in western Sudan to say sorry. Rice had earlier demanded an apology.

"He apologized for the treatment of our delegation and the press corps," McCormack told journalists traveling with Rice.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I am really beginning to like Condi. If there were to be the first femal pres in a few years i would pick here. It is perfect for the RNC too, She's conservative, level headed, well spoke, a Minority two fold. What other type of candidate could you want?

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Naaaah!

No Money there!

Originally posted by CAConrad0825
Make room Souljah, this is going to have to be a bigger soapbox once Conman gets on. The US claimed after the attrocities of WWII to never let such things happen again. Yet let's look at the wars after that the US was involved in and why!: --snip--

Some of the folks on this board will use any reason in to bash the U.S., it never ceases to amaze me. Yes the U.S. is corrupt and generally naughty, but how do you turn a story about a diplomatic delagation being mistreated into a new thread about the Evil U.S.A. (don't we have enough of those).

Maybe they should start a "Rant till your blue in the face about the U.S.A." forum. These thead-hijackings might calm down a little.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the way the U.S. does behaves here and abroad. And I'm really unhappy w/ the current administration. But I don't feel the need to turn every thread into "U.S. sucks, U.S. sucks!" Get a grip people, try to stay on topic for at least a few replies.

[edit on 7/21/2005 by yadboy]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
So you can complain more about "Western" influence in the area, more "exploitiation" if we remove the current batch of (native to Africa, not western) thugs?

Besides, lets look at money. The US already sends millions to the area. Should we start a liberation there, have a long expensive "counterinsurgent" campaign, and bankrupt the American government, milk taxpayers more, and never see a dime or a bit of gratitude in return?

Where's the "Holy" UN? We dump cash there too. And hardware and personnel. Or should we go in and clean up the area and listen to the bitching about another "illegal" war, beccause the corrupt UN won't sanction this one either?

Naaaah!

No Money there!

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I can understand People like souljahs frustration easily...

here is a country (all of africa) that has huge genocidal wars against there own people, and we don't feel the need to do anything...
why: as souljah said... not enough money in it...
point proved...

but in this case,
I think offending a possible future president of the US, in the way they did, is tantamount to asking for a "future helping hand" from the US...

of course the helping hand would probably be a much needed cleaning house of any leaders who kill there own people...

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Once again we go where we are not wanted and we get bit. It is not surprising that the press takes it on the chin and conplains that they should be treated with respect. They give none and so they get none.

What does Ms. Rice expect. We go to the Sudan once every hundred years and they should have the red carpet out.

Should we be treated better than they treat their own people.

We should to stay home and tend to our own problems and people.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
We are wanted more in this area, and we were the ones that #ed up Sudan and the rest. Quick is the west to forget the congress of berlin and especially with the belgian congo, south africa, italian ethiopia and sudan. These countries are messed up because of the west, we should fix them.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
This is the News Forum, decorum please.

And an edit please, I think you know which word I'm referring to.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Not for nothing but, whatdoes Rice expect? The sudanese government is supporting anti-black militias that are going around destroying villages, raping women and children, and displacing thousands of people into temp camps where they are starving to death. I don't want to be too callous, but good that they roughed her up, she's the secretary of state and has done nothing about these thugs, I'd think that there's almost a small measure of ironic justice in the hooligans and ruffians that she's done nothing to stop have inconvienced her.

(and just to be clear, I wouldn't be saying 'good' if they had actually hurt her and anyone else, but getting treated 'roughly' is harmless enough to warrant this)

[edit on 21-7-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Naaaah!

No Money there!

Souljah, your off-the-wall statements have reduced your credibility in here to Zero.

Anyhow, these Sudanese MFer's are Thugs and I wish America had more resources to protect the Christians from attack by the Moslims up North. The UN should hang its head in shame.

Maximu§

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
Anyhow, these Sudanese MFer's are Thugs and I wish America had more resources to protect the Christians from attack by the Moslims up North. The UN should hang its head in shame.

Maximu§

Enough is enough. Only two posts after my admonition. Let me spell it out for everyone. Any further swearing and/or censor circumvention and the red flags will fly.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Enough is enough. Only two posts after my admonition. Let me spell it out for everyone. Any further swearing and/or censor circumvention and the red flags will fly.

Doh, my apologies.

Max

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAConrad0825
I am really beginning to like Condi. If there were to be the first femal pres in a few years i would pick here. It is perfect for the RNC too, She's conservative, level headed, well spoke, a Minority two fold. What other type of candidate could you want?

I agree. I am a white male, if that matters to some of you, and I would definitely vote vor Ms. Rice. At least the president has her in his corner for now, but America would do good with such an intelligent person running the show.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
It shouldn't matter what i say. The word i used is the only word that i could think of to fit the situation we are discussing. I have a right to freedom of speech and when used sparsingly for the proper situation, those words may be used. Also it is within my rights as an ATS member to have the censoring lifted if I use my points. If you don't like the word don't read it.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
Souljah, your off-the-wall statements have reduced your credibility in here to Zero.

You mean I Can no Longer EXPRESS my Opinion, because its in Conflict with the Vast Majority?

Hmmmm...

I thought thats why CONSPIRACY FORUMS are For?

Maybe I'm Wrong....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join