It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S close to extending daylight savings by two months

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Rep. Fred Upton, a Michigan Republican, wants to extend daylight savings time in the U.S. by two months.

"They showed you could save 100,000 barrels of oil each day that you had daylight savings time," he said.

That figure came from U.S. Dept. of Transportation studies done in the 1970s in the wake of the 1973 Arab oil embargo.

In addition, crime and accident rates go down.

The U.S. House of Representatives pass the daylight savings time provision -- which would start in March and end in November -- back in late April. The provision was one clause in the Energy Policy Bill of 2005.

Members of the Senate and the House will be reviewing the bill over the next several weeks to determine what parts of the bill will make it to the Senate floor for a vote there.

If the measure survives that cut, it will be one step closer to becoming law.

Link to entire article

No, I hate daylight savings! It was fine for 1905, but this is 2005.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   

U.S. to scale back daylight-saving time plan

Associated Press

WASHINGTON — An agreement was reached Thursday to extend daylight-saving time in an effort to conserve energy, but not to the extent the House of Representatives approved in April.

House and Senate negotiators on an energy bill agreed to begin daylight-saving time a week earlier, on the second Sunday in March, and extend it by three weeks to the first Sunday in November. The House bill would have added a month in the spring and another in the fall.

According to some senators, farmers complained that a two-month extension could adversely affect livestock, and airline officials said it would have complicated scheduling of international flights.

"We ought to take a hard look at this before we jump into it,'' said Senator Larry Craig (R-Idaho), who questioned how much oil savings the extension would produce.

Representatives Edward Markey (D-Mass.) and Fred Upton (R-Mich.) agreed to scale back their original proposal, and Senate negotiators accepted the new version, along with a call for a new study on how much daylight-saving time actually affects oil consumption.

Entire article

Now they just need to scrap daylight savings all together.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
i know there are two times in which we move the clocks.

so are they talking about the one that starts in october?

if they are...damn i need my sleep...ill just ignore it

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
It is not 2 months. It is 4 weeks. 3 weeks earlier and 1 week later. Read the article.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
what??
where did the original authors posts go? it is showing my post as the first one...weird....im not the one that started this thread. and there were like 3 other people that replied to it before i did. where did they all go??

DigitalGrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyarlathotep
It is not 2 months. It is 4 weeks. 3 weeks earlier and 1 week later. Read the article.

Read the second article.

new topics

top topics

join