It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah parents flee law to spare child from Chemo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 12:31 AM
link   
SALT LAKE CITY � A couple who left Utah with their 12-year-old son, defying a court order to give the boy chemotherapy (search) for cancer, were missing Wednesday after the father was released on bail from a weekend arrest in Idaho.

networks.org...:0,2933,95238,00

They want to try a different kind of therapy that won't leave their son sterile and stunt his growth.

My personal opinion is they should go with the chemotherapy, but I'm not raising this kid, they are. Where should the line be drawn between the rights of the parents and the rights of the state?

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mycroft
My personal opinion is they should go with the chemotherapy, but I'm not raising this kid, they are. Where should the line be drawn between the rights of the parents and the rights of the state?

Sometimes the actions of a parent is not exactly understood by the general public...The article did not give any information whether there were religious, or moral circumstances at play as well. How many people believe that there is a possibility of alternative treatments for cancer other than Chemo?...Which is very devistating to the human body as well, killing not only cancer cells but those that are very benificial too.
Most times Chemo doesn't guarentee survival rates any more positive than the alternative possibilities...

I think that the State, in many instances has begun to think that they are the parent, and have oversteped the boundries that in all good faith they should follow. Because they have the government backing they do, and the backing of the law, any parent that does not follow the edict of the State is considered sub par....and subject to loosing their child/children. Once these children are put into the State System...they are lost...and even sometimes die...tho we may not hear about each and every one...believe me, it does happen...

So my opinion...More power to the family for making a run for the border...it was their choice. As for the State, any State for that matter...Stick to running the government and quit trying to be Everybody's Parent.
Protect when necessairy...but work with the famlies involved when necessairy as well and DON'T TELL THEM WHAT TO DO, or FORCE THEM TO DO IT.

~Oracle

join