It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegemite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I heard from an Australian on TV refer to Vegemite as "A Savory spread" When I was in Perth, Australia I had it for the first time, that is the most utterly nastiest food I have ever eaten. If you've never tried it before, I recommend you do!

What it tastes like; Geritol/Coca-Cola.

Look here if you want to order it. Or Try an international market in your local area.
www.vegemite.com.au...

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Being Australian I grew up eating Vegemite

I must've eaten at least 1 million vegemite sandwiches during my school years.

Gotta admit there hasn't been one single oversea's freind who I coaxed into trying vegemite that hasn't almost vomited after eating it

But if you like its flavour I recommend one of my all time favourite recipes:

Make some toast with butter and vegemite spread - then place an egg or two on top - preferably with the yoke nice and runny.

Yum yum

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Vegemite is an Australian adaptation of MARMITE. The Brits eat this stuff up on toast sort of like jam. But I have to agree with you....it is the nastiest stuff in existence. It is made as the result of Beer making. It would seem that the sludge in the bottom of beer vats is processed to form Marmite. It's nutricious and packed with Iron and Vitamin B but, for all intents and purposes, after tasting it, I'd rather be mineral and vitamin deficient.

There is an interesting little web site where you can vote on whether you love or hate marmite. The "hate" comments are hilarious.www.marmite.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Here is OZ we have 3 variants - Marmite, Vegemite and Promite oh and Aussiemite, which is a brand trying to get people to buy Aussie made and owned products as the "icon" vegemite, ie.Kraft was bought by some German company.
So Aussiemite is pretty much exactly the same in flavour of vegemite, just aussie made and owned.

As far as general consensus goes, just about everyone I know rekons Marmite sucks teh gerkin - with promite coming in a close second & vegemite KING of the mites

For something different, try putting a spoon full of whatever mite takes your fancy and stirring it in a cup of boiled water.
Its the cheapo version of another great british invention ....Bonox!

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Oh my God vegemite. It is a curse from hell in a bottle that looks and tastes like medicine. Yuch. I heard that Men at Work song called "a man from down under" there was a line in it about a vegemite sandwich. I had wanted to try it ever since but when I did I regretted it terribly because I can no longer listen to that song without getting nautious.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I gotta admit, I don't like it much. Here in new zealand its pretty common amongst the school lunchboxes too.....ick. It's great as a gravy additive though! lol Adding cheese is supposed to help....BIGGER ICK. My partner has it on toast most mornings, I'll never understand it.

Having said that though, I noticed the other day that we have now been blessed in NZ with Reeces choc and peanut butter products. i was physically forced into tryin that crap when in the US........dang, now THAT is disgusting s**t!!!!!! It's just plain WRONG!

Different cultures, different strokes huh?
To each their own!

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
The trick to all the non Aussies is to very lightly spread it
over the sandwich.

Then put it on a little thicker to taste.

I don't have it thick either, Just a scrape.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Tried it when we were in Fiji and man it is an aquired taste to say the least

BTW someone said that Kraft was bought by a German company? Its actually owend by Altira Corp aka Phillip Morris

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Marmite is fantastic! On toast, it is the kind of thing you can just keep chewing without losing the flavour. An absolute gem, but not the kind of thing you want to scoop onto your finger and eat....it's strong stuff. You can also make a hot drink out of it, but that is just too much for me....toast is Marmites true home, as well as crackers and cheese.

It's definately a love it or hate it thing, I've never found someone who says "Hmm, it ain't too bad, but it ain't great".

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlindedByTheLight

Its the cheapo version of another great british invention ....Bonox!

Am I getting my Wires crossed, or is "Bonox" your version of our "Bovril"? A super-beefy goo for super-beefy hot drinks, so to speak?

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Funnily enough, being that I'm an Australian and all, I still prefer Marmite.

The trick to all the non Aussies is to very lightly spread it

Very True! I sent some vegemite to a friend of mine in Mississippi, once he toned down the thickness of the spread, he doesn't mind it.

[edit on 23-8-2005 by madhatter]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Vegemite is definately something where less is better.. everyones right just a scrape... Excellent on toast with boiled, scrambled or poached egg on it. Excellent to dip into a runny boiled egg.

Excellent to put a spoonful in spaghetti bolognaise......

I dont like the taste but will have it on toast with a few eggs... I am an egg lover....

my hubby lives on vegemite sandwiches... at least two or three a day.... for dinner even..

but my kids amaze me.. from the time I first sit them up in their baby booster seat at the table with the rest of us, they all have had vegemite toast fingers as a starting food and they all love it. sit there chomping away happily at the toast and end up with the black muck all over their faces and in their hair... but they love it... babies are fussy about taste so I can't understand it, anything else horrid I try and give them, they throw it at me.....

They ask to take vegemite sandwiches to school even when i have fresh leg ham and salads and things in the fridge...

top topics

join