It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Star Trek's Scotty, James Doohan, Dead at 85

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Star Trek legend James Doohan died this morning at the age of 85. Doohan played Scotty in the Star Trek Original Series and movies as well as making some cameo appearances in later series. He died from complications of pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease at his family home in Redmond, Washington. He's survived by his wife of 28 years Wende and three children.

www.sanluisobispo.com
LOS ANGELES - James Doohan, the burly chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise in the original "Star Trek" TV series and motion pictures who responded to the command "Beam me up, Scotty," died early Wednesday. He was 85.

Doohan died at 5:30 a.m. at his Redmond, Wash., home with his wife of 28 years, Wende, at his side, Los Angeles agent and longtime friend Steve Stevens said. The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, he said.

The Canadian-born Doohan was enjoying a busy career as a character actor when he auditioned for a role as an engineer in a new space adventure on NBC in 1966. A master of dialects from his early years in radio, he tried seven different accents.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

James Doohan was a fantastic actor in the Star Trek series, and is a hero to many people in several generations. He will be missed greatly...

[edit on 7/20/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Aye the haggis is in the fire for sure.

Scotty will be missed........

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I still think the original series was the best.

Rest in peace. He will be missed. "Beam me up, God."

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The original series was the best, IMO.
The cast was awesome

RIP Scotty

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Rest In Peace, Scotty.

You Will be Missed....

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Damn. A loss for fans everywhere.

Met the guy briefly while working at Radio Shack in West Seattle, right before he started doing some "more power" commercials about RS batteries. He was a regular at many stores so it was natural to see him in ones closer to his residence.

He wasn't big on being hassled by fans so I never even asked for an autograph or anything. It takes a second to recognize him without the accent...seemed surreal.

Boldly Go, Mr Doohan.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Scotty and the George Petroni character from the Airport movies are one of the reasons that I considered Engineering as a career.

God Bless and Warp Speed!!

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It's worse than that... he's dead, Jim.

Rest In Peace. Know that you were an inspiration to many, both in the character you played and in your military service. I'll be drinking a pint in your honor tonight.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Just a little FYI...

neveronce, did any crew member utter the words....Beam me up Scotty....

although Commander Scrooge did say "Beam me up, Snotty!" on Spaceballs

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Spliff, it was actually President Skroob (scrambled version of Brooks) who said that.

As for Scotty... wow...

So that's now two actors from a team that in addition to making great movies together had such a great onscreen rapport that you would think they had known each other for a hundred years. If you watch the later movies and see the chemistry this crew had together you begin to realize that this was not something created for on screen, but rather something they all developed over the years.

Say what you will about the old shows (yes i know the sets and effects were cheesy) but chances are there's not a person out there who couldn't recognize a pic of Shatner, Nimoy, Kelly, Doohan, et al.

True pop culture icons. RIP.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

It's worse than that... he's dead, Jim.

I wonder if Deforrest Kelly will say that in his eulogy?

As one has said already, boldly go where no man has before...godspeed Scotty....

*watches as the coffin is launched into space, accompanied by "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes*

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
RIP Scotty
you will be missed

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I wonder if Deforrest Kelly will say that in his eulogy?

Actually Deforest died last year if I recall correctly.

I always wanted to hear him say 'Hes dead Jim, Spock check his wallet"

Captain she canna stand the strain was one of my favorites

TPL

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
DeForest died in 1999.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Yep, forgot about that...more of a Star Wars fan...

But still admire Trek....

Guess that answer's my question though....

I only hope that one day we can live in a society that mirrors the ideal set in Star Trek....

Roddenberry's ashes are still up in orbit, right?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Here's some of my favorite quotes of his from the movie Star Trek - The Voyage Home...

Scott: "I put it in another way. How thick would a piece of plexiglass need to be at sixty feet by ten feet to withstand the pressure of eighteen thousand cubic feet of water?"
Nichols: "Oh, that's easy, six inches. We carry stuff that big in stock."
Scott: "I, uh, noticed. Now suppose...just suppose...I were to show you a way to manufacture a wall that would do the same job...but be only one inch thick. Woul that be worth something to you?"
Nichols: [Laughs] "You're joking."

McCoy: "Perhaps the professor could use your computer."
Nichols: "Please."

Scott: "Computer? Computer?"
McCoy: [Hands Scott the mouse]
Scott: "Ah. Hello, computer."

Nichols: "Just use the keyboard."
Scott: "A keyboard! How quaint."

McCoy: "You, uh, realize, of course, if we give him the formula, we're altering the future."
Scott: "Why? How do we know he didn't invent the thing?"
McCoy: "Yeah."

Kirk: "Scotty, are the whale tanks secure?"
Scott: "Aye, sir. But I've never beamed up four-hundred tons before!"
Kirk: "Four-hundred tons?"
Scott: "Well, it's not just the whales...it's the water!"
Kirk: "Yes, of course."

Scott: "Admiral, there be whales here!"

Scott: "Hold on tight, Lassie. It gets bumpy from here."

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Rest in Peace Scotty. As a Trekkie, I can sincerely say I'll miss you.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
So long, Scotty.
Farewell, Mr. Doohan.

We will miss you.!

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
How weird is this: Just yesteday, I was at a friend's office and he had a personally signed Scotty picture. We talked for about fifteen minutes about James Doohan and his situation. I mean, I haven't had a conversation about Scotty for years, and then the day I do, it kills him!

Freaky. Anyway, RIP jimmy d.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Very sad indeed....

The only Star Trek convention I ever went to was in Hampton, VA - Shook his hand, said hello and got his autograph.....Despite my very brief encounter, a very gentle and humble man....

RIP

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join