It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Riots in Yemen Over Fuel Prices Leave Eleven Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Protests turned violent in the capitol of Yemen today, as citizens outraged by the price of fuel took the streets and began to riot. The unrest spread to outlying areas and left ten dead in its wake. The government is wrestling with a deficit, and raised fuel prices in an effort to make some headway. The decision backfired and, despite the government promises of tax breaks to alleviate the sting, people took to the streets en masse.

news.bbc.co.uk
At least 10 Yemenis have been killed when armed men exchanged fire with police during protests over a rise in fuel prices, witnesses have said.

Clashes broke out in the capital Sanaa and several other towns as marchers attacked government buildings and threw stones at police.

Correspondents say the government wants to curb a budget deficit, but delayed the price hike to avoid causing riots.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I just saw this blurb on the BBC, I don't think there's very much information yet. There's no information about the current situation. There's also no information, as far as I can tell, about whether the dead are rioters or police.

Gas there is about a dollar a gallon I believe, which is high for the Middle East. This is not the first time Yemeni citizens have rioted over fuel prices, I found at least one other series of incidents in '98 over the same thing. I get the sense that it's a bit of a perennial problem.

This area has historically been fairly unstable, and rife with a criminal element. These rioters may be strict oppurtunists, or they may have a legitimate comlpaint, but their methods leave much to be desired. This region is critical to the Western presence in the region, any widespread instability could complicate American military force projection.

Related News Links:
www.albawaba.com

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Update

Death toll now stands at 16. Security forces opened fire on demonstrators. There's considerable chaos in the streets.

Link

join