It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sasquatch sighting reported in Yukon!! DNA test awaited!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

Two men, Chuck Chouman and Trent Smarch, said they heard trees snapping and creaking as the mysterious figure went by, and they say there was no wind at the time.

They said whatever they saw was three metres tall and moving fast, too fast for them to keep up with on foot

Giant footprints and a hair sample available for testing, I can't remember another circumstance where "Hair Samples" have been collected

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Update to this sighting. Scientist now studing hair samples.

Phillip Merchant, a territorial biologist, says so far tests show the hair was likely not from a bear.
He made the assessment after comparing hair samples found at the scene, with samples of known local mammals.

Link To Story

Its kind of sad that no one can really take a closer look at the hairs to make a conclusive judgement. He is right thou when he says that the government shouldnt be involved because it might add to the controversy.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
thats an interesting topic actually, many people keep claiming to have seen the real thing recently it seems... i myself am a believer on this subjected species that is not yet classified.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I don't believe you can extract DNA from hair - you would need the "root" as well (ie some cells).

Well, we'll have to wait and see....

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
If you have the complete hair follicle you can.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I hate when they do this nonsense.

"Merchant says he can't make an exact match, but says the hair most resembles that of a Yukon bison. He says more precise tests could be fairly expensive."

so, since nobody will pay for the tests, it appears as if the bison hair will never be proven to be bison.

and why aren't there better pictures of the footprint?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The biologist doesn' t believe in bigfoot, so that tells me no interest, and
anyone who sees a bigfoot is a liar.
Par for the course.
When will the scientific community take this subject seriously?

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
While I would love to see the unexplained become explained , I wish somone would just step up and pay for such tests....

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by superd
The biologist doesn' t believe in bigfoot, so that tells me no interest, and
anyone who sees a bigfoot is a liar.
Par for the course.
When will the scientific community take this subject seriously?

Why should it? You have a guy who is claiming to have bigfoot's hair and dna, but he can't get it tested, past of course the test that shows it to belong to a bison???? Why in the world should anyone take a group of people that operate like that seriously?

"There are new electron microscopes that could be applied and it's all a question of getting someone who is interested in doing it and what the bill is and who will pay," says Merchant.

He's not talking about doing dna testing. He's talking about using an electron microscope to look at the hair and try to determine what it is from that. That, in its nature, would be a rather inconclusive test. But its not expensive, lots of universities have electron microscopes these days.

[edit on 22-7-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Yesterday in the newspaper I read a story about this. The testers figured that they would finish in a week, so on the 29th.

BTW, the testing is occurring at my university

And yeah, we have at least one electron microscope that I know of.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Please keep us updated on anything you heard from the lab!

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Heres another update... looks like they found someone to test the hairs and it should be done by mid week. Heres the article.

A University of Alberta geneticist says he'll test a tuft of hair that some residents of Teslin, Yukon say belongs to a sasquatch.

"I'd be very surprised if it was something different, but you can never be 100 per cent sure, so I thought we would give this a go," said Coltman.

But there's a part of the scientist that hopes the Teslin residents really did see a sasquatch. "Well that would be kind of cool, wouldn't it? We might as well have a look-see," he said.

DNA Testing Done By Mid Week

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Update:

Local newspaper said today the scientist is working away. He says that he is going to do quite exhaustive tests. He doesn't believe that the hair comes from bigfoot, but he is going to test it to the max anyway, because he hopes it really is a bigfoot. He thinks it's probably from a bison or something like that.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The DNA was from a buffalo (bison):

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Bison, my anal cavity....

Well too bad...better luck next time?

but the hair could have been from one of bigfoot's prey

new topics

top topics

join