It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon asks Congress to raise military recruitment age to 42

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Check this out:

www.armytimes.com...

The Defense Department quietly asked Congress on Monday to raise the maximum age for military recruits to 42 for all branches of the service.

Under current law, the maximum age to enlist in the active components is 35, while people up to age 39 may enlist in the reserves. By practice, the accepted age for recruits is 27 for the Air Force, 28 for the Marine Corps and 34 for the Navy and Army, although the Army Reserve and Navy Reserve sometimes take people up to age 39 in some specialties.

The Pentagon’s request to raise the maximum recruit age to 42 is part of what defense officials are calling a package of “urgent wartime support initiatives” sent to Congress Monday night prior to a Tuesday hearing of the House Armed Services military personnel subcommittee.

This should come as good news to all those who've claimed the military has turned them down due to age. With any luck the law will be changed, and you'll have your chance to step up to the plate.

[edit on 20-7-2005 by negativenihil]

[edit on 20-7-2005 by negativenihil]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
70+ views, and no one has anything to add?

No opinions on this from the older users?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Did not realise they enlist anyone above 25 years....

I learn something everyday...

Do those people who enlist in the reserve at age 30 and above actually goes to war?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwen
Do those people who enlist in the reserve at age 30 and above actually goes to war?

With the current recruitment numbers as bad as they are, i can't see why they wouldn't be sent into combat roles.

A set of boots on the ground is a set of boots on the ground, regardless of age.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwen
Did not realise they enlist anyone above 25 years....

I learn something everyday...

yep, pretty unbelievable aint it?
, the older men women are there to teach the kids how to fight a war. im sure the kids are annoyed by it.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
With recruitments being down recently, this doesn't really come as a surprise to me. They've also put recruiters in my high school two or three years ago, and last year brought some into classrooms showing recruitment videos, taking questions, etc. All going towards bringing recruitment back up I suppose. They need more people to fight Bush's future wars.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The lack of response to this topic is mainly attributed to your article putting a huge dent into the propaganda spew and over-hyping that some within ATS have been doing concerning the imminent threat of the coming draft, which has been heralded around here for a year or so.

Might want to carry this article's mention and place it within some of those Draft topics in PTS....

seekerof

[edit on 20-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Well, this is good news! Then a lot of the people who support the war but sadly were too old to go will be free to join up and go fight for their country! Yay!

And I have a feeling that draft is still on its way, don't you worry about it. They're just raising the age first so they'll have a bigger pool.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Sorry,,,,i dont fight for criminals

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
The lack of response to this topic is mainly attributed to your article putting a huge dent into the propaganda spew and over-hyping that some within ATS have been doing concerning the imminent threat of the coming draft, which has been heralded around here for a year or so.

Might want to carry this article's mention and place it within some of those Draft topics in PTS....

seekerof

I have a feeling that in a few years time, you may very well have your foot in your mouth. We only have two wars going on right now. Wait til we have three, or four, and have had a few more "terrorist attacks" on our hands. If there's still no draft, then you can feel free to harrass anyone who thought there would have been. It's a bit early to count your sheep yet.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
All I have to say is this sucks big time.

I am 31 and I am gonna get drafted, this sucks.

I dont even agree with this war. Never did, and never will. and the worst part is we cant goto Canada like we was able to during the Vietman War.

God I am getting sick right now..

Then again I dont have a GED or Highschool diploma so I might get out of it.

[edit on 7/20/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Are you making predictions now, bsbray11?
You are aware we have a BTS member forum for such Predictions?

As for this:

I have a feeling that in a few years time, you may very well have your foot in your mouth.

Having served my time, mate, I guess time will only tell on this above prediction, eh?

Be fortunate that I am not in a position to push for a draft, cause my form of draft would that modeled on/after Germany, Israel and a number of other countries: its called mandatory service. Bet.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I don't understand the sarcastic remarks, seekerof. He reported an armytimes article, and really didn't comment much more than those who said they wish they could fight might now have a chance.

Why the snide remarks?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Now - if seekerof will allow me - I'll tell you why I haven't responded. I hadn't seen this thread. This is a wowzer! I guess recruitment really is in a big slump.

Was I confused??? I thought they would take you up until 35?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
"Snide" is subjective, based on interpretation, Valhall.
Anyhow, if you feel it was "snide," by all means, I will publically submit my apology to those that I have been "snide" to.

My apologies to those members.

Btw, I do believe that this could have been handled in other ways, correct, Valhall?

Thank you, anyhow for the correction. I will certainly seek to abstain from doing such in the future.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
All I have to say is this sucks big time.

I am 31 and I am gonna get drafted, this sucks.

I dont even agree with this war. Never did, and never will. and the worst part is we cant goto Canada like we was able to during the Vietman War.

God I am getting sick right now..

Then again I dont have a GED or Highschool diploma so I might get out of it.

[edit on 7/20/2005 by ThichHeaded]

I have a feeling that if they REALLY wanted you or needed you to join, they would find a way to "look the other way" regarding your education. There are loopholes around everything these days.....you may get drafted yet!

Faeryland

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I agree with some that already posted the problems regarding the quotas in the military.

Perhaps the military see an opportunity with older people that for some reason may have a need to have the military as an option if anything else is not available.

A man or woman in their forties with family having difficulties with works and in financial trouble could be an easily lure into the arm forces.

I don't see anything wrong with somebody in their mature years joining the military.

But what I wonder is how fit is our population in the US especially when you are already in your 40’s.

Obesity is a problem, hart diseases, adult onset diabetes, and many other problems that plague our society.

I don't see this proposal going anywhere.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I have a feeling that if they REALLY wanted you or needed you to join, they would find a way to "look the other way" regarding your education. There are loopholes around everything these days.....you may get drafted yet!

This is definitely true. I have a friend who's committed grand larceny and isn't even 18 yet, and despite complications with his parol and criminal record, his recruiters are looking the other way even against a local judge's rulings to get him into the military when his time comes. 'Looking the other way' is right.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
SHHHHHHHH!!!

Dont break my one glimmer of hope people........................

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
But what I wonder is how fit is our population in the US especially when you are already in your 40’s.

Obesity is a problem, hart diseases, adult onset diabetes, and many other problems that plague our society.

I don't see this proposal going anywhere.

I am sure they have ways to counteract those problem...somehow

The Army claims to make a boy into man or a girl into a woman. I wonder how they going to do that with someone in their 40's...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join