It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada to play a stronger role in war on terror | missle defense?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Ah, what is Stephen Harper up to now. I found this interesting, but not surprising.

Opposition Leader Stephen Harper said he talked briefly Tuesday with
President George W. Bush about trade and security issues, including his own willingness to consider the U.S. missile defence project rejected by federal Liberals.

"I've said all along a Conservative government's prepared to entertain discussions on that if the Americans make a proposal to Canada," said Harper

Yadda yadda.

.. pitching his party's plan to have Canada play a stronger role in the war on terrorism.

Some big talk here

"We rely awfully heavily on the United States for even our own national security, let alone continental security," he said.

"We have a responsiblity to shoulder more of that load ourselves."

news.yahoo.com...

So these are my thoughts. Will Harper keep up this banter after gomery and into new elections?

What will be the outcome if the liberals get the boot?

What do our american posters think. Should Canada get its hands dirty in the war, beef up security? Both and more?

Your thoughts.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I personally think Harper is an f#$%*&g idiot. He's bitter he lost the election because he dropped the ball and never had a real grasp on the Canadian electorate. He was only thinking about the conservatives, where the Liberals are good at appealing to both parties. Throwing billions at missle defense for a technology that is not proven or really necessary is a waste of money when we could use those billions to get capital investements in military equipment to upgrade our armed forces. If the US uses SDI as leverage against purchasing equipment from them, then we can go to the Europeans for it. The only reason there is a threat of nuclear attack on North America is because the US keeps provoking other countries through covert acts or outright military involvement.

We have just as big of chance of being hit by a meteor, why not start throwing billions at an Asteroid/Meteor defense shield?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
While Stephen Harper comes across as quite an intelligent fellow, he is completely out of touch with what most Canadians want. He would do so much better in the polls if he could just keep his mouth shut.

I just wonder how many times we will hear about Harper wanting missile defence in the next election campaign.

The conservative party is their own worst enemy.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
quote:
"We rely awfully heavily on the United States for even our own national security, let alone continental security," he said.

I just heard Harpers political career just go down the toilet. What politician would say something as stupid as this? I personally find this offensive.

He's a tool anyways.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Harper just doesn't seem to get it. He's not running for office in the US, he's running in Canada.

As much as I love to complain about seat distribution here, it keeps him out of office. Ontario and Quebec have my gratitude for keeping this idiot out of 24 Sussex Drive.

Maybe he is secretly on the payroll of the Liberal party?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

After reading this thread I'd say he's secretly on Crack.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
He just cut his own throat with this statement. Probably never get elected now. What a fool.(tool)

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Harper tends to goof any popularity he has at the last minute anways. Remember all the accusations he made before the last election.

But I will say this, the liberals are no better with military actions.

How has their spending on military been so far? Last I heard the only new planes they have bought have been to fly around officials (AKA Paul Martin) while the troops get the same old stuff.

They say we have a large military budget, but really where does it go? Buy the guys some new stuff !

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
In my way of thinking the Libs are the lesser of two evils. They do need to properly equip the troops though, if they intend to send them out to play.

Did you hear that they want to send them to Afghanistan in the Sea Kings?
I think it's way past time to put those beasts out to pasture. Get my boys some shiny new helicopters!!!

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Indeed.

A Defence Department proposal to refit eight geriatric Sea King helicopters to fight terrorists in
Afghanistan is a "worst nightmare . . . come true," says a senator who is urging Ottawa to reject the idea.

Michael Forrestall, a Tory member of the upper chamber's national security and defence committee, said Tuesday the minister of defence is considering plans to refit the 1960s-era aircraft for a mission in Afghanistan's volatile Kandahar region.

Link

And by now they should be gone.

With words of pride in his troops and thoughts of the risks they will encounter, Gen. Rick Hillier saw off the first team of troops heading off Tuesday for southern
Afghanistan as part of a reconstruction mission.

"What I told them was first of all how proud I am of them, how confident I am that they are ready to go and do this job," Hillier said at Edmonton International Airport before the troops flew out on Canadian Forces Airbus.

Link

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Maybe spring would be a good time to call an election now. With Harper and the federal conservatives losing steam the liberal party might be able to get a majority vote.

Get rid of the minority government and get some work done.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

After reading this thread I'd say he's secretly on Crack.

he ain't on me but thanks for the offer.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
A conservative government in Canada? Only when hell freezes over.
But what the man is saying is true, lets just say nukes are shot over the north pole instead of dropping over the caps they will be dropping over Canadian soil that’s got to suck. Also what about that report that came out a few weeks ago about some 50+ terrorist organization in Canada including Al Qaeda.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Provincially we have some conservative governments. In my province, and DEENUTZ's (I think), we have a fairly conservative govt (for Canada). Strangely enough, it is the Liberal party, but the name is quite misleading. They aren't very Liberal. The Conservatives imploded a long time ago. And I will vote for them (libs) again, if only to keep the NDP out of power.

I saw an excellent analogy for Canadian politics the other day, but I don't remember where. It was something like this: Canadians would rather have a government with a few bad apples and some corruption that is taking Canada in the direction we want, than a government full of intelligent people without corruption who will change what we want our country stands for.

For me that sums it up pretty well. I don't care how smart Harper is, or thinks he is, I don't like what he wants to do to our country.

The last time we had Conservatives in Ottawa (voted out in 93) we ended up with Free Trade and the GST.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   

The last time we had Conservatives in Ottawa (voted out in 93) we ended up with Free Trade and the GST.

Which pretty much centralized the country. If you wanted to make a decent living, it's off to Ontario. Don't know what it's like out West, I moved out of BC in '79.

I wish I could really type what I think of Mulroney but if I did I'd be banned.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It was pretty tough out here in BC through the nineties, unless you were in a union getting sweetheart deals from the NDP. I'm not in a union and never want to be. I prefer to be compensated on my abilities and effort, rather than time served.

We've really started to see a turn-around with the Lib's. There are lots of people who don't agree with me on this, of course, but if the NDP were voted back in, I would most likely be out of a job within a month. Then I might have to follow some of my friends to Alberta.
Never going to happen. It's too darn flat there for me.

Mulroney, grrrrrrrrrr. I have plenty of nasty words for him.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
canada has never had one and in sept we will have to prob go to the poles.the other two partys have a long list of abuses of power like freetrade and same-sex marriage and of course handling of the canadas wealth poorly.we have not much to choose from.good leaders are coming up short.harper wants war martin wants same-sex both ideas put a target on canadas ideaolgy which is peaceful nation and peaceful civil unions.putting a target on canada is the last thing we need right now with all the civil unrest.governments are not debating the process of change with the peoples voice and that can cause terrible results as seen in history.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The one thing Martin is saying that I like is that he's going to double Millitary spending within 5 years.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
A Martin decision I really like was the appointment of General Hillier as Chief of the Defence Staff. In my opinion, he was an excellent choice.

Who would have ever imagined a Newfie in charge of the army?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Paul Martin does nothing for the west.

Well perhaps some in the west. The liberals are only concerned with getting power. After that they can screw around, and they do.

The liberals will ALWAYS have a good hold of our government mainly because they keep people in ontario (big voting numbers) happy.

Saskatchewan basically has no economy (where I live). I wish Mr. Martin would come out here and tour the region.

I wonder if he can even spell it?

Our Saskatchewan government is no better. Load of crap.

If you look into our defense spending, its quite hilarious. Look at the equipment. Where does the money go? Buying new paint?

Maybe they spent it on Montreal Canadiens season tickets?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join