It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 2.5 Million May Starve in Niger

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
2.5 million people are in danger of starving to death in Niger. The country suffered a plague of locusts last year, and a long period of draught is just starting to let up. The U.N. has appealed several times to the nations of the world for help, and now says a preventable tragedy is unfolding.

www.cnn.com
UNITED NATIONS (AP) -- The west African nation of Niger is suffering "an acute humanitarian crisis" in which children are dying because the world community ignored U.N. appeals for urgent aid, the U.N. humanitarian chief said Tuesday.

Jan Egeland said 2.5 million people are in desperate need of food, including 800,000 malnourished children. Some 150,000 of those children will die soon "unless we really get to step up our operation."

The landlocked country, one of the poorest in the world, was devastated by an invasion of locusts that ate everything green last year and was then hit by drought that lasted until earlier this month, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's amazing to think that in this day and age 800k children can starve to death, but countries around the world will gleefully spend billions on any number of ridiculous enterprises. It's always been this way, golden toilets in some countries, no toilets in others. Still, given the reach of the world community, don't you think helping 2.5 million people get some food is a small task?

While we're on that note, I could really use a cheeseburger, should I call Kofi Annan? I say this in jest, but also to illustrate a point, if bums in NY are starving, does the UN accept walk-ins, or do they shoo them away? Can a starving family in Detroit get an aid package air lifted in? No.

If America can't give its own citizens free food, why can it give another nation's citizens free food? And boy, do we give some food...millions of tons of the stuff every year. So is this an issue of refocusing on priorities, or just ignoring the needs of everyone? And where are the private donors like those after the tsunami? We're talking about 20 times the number of people dying. I'm not trying to be a prick, I'm just trying hard to understand the problem. What do other members think?

[edit on 20-7-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
www.guardianunlimited.co.uk...

Additional source.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Live 8 funds are currently where and doing what to aid this situation?

seekerof

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
People have gotten 'Famine Fatigue" when it comes to Africa. Im not condoning it, just putting in my 2 cents worth.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Its kind of Sad that Musicians have to take the Role of Politicans and start to solve International Famine and Food Problems.

Where are all the Big Super Presidents that "Save Nations"?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Live 8 funds are currently where and doing what to aid this situation?

Live 8 wasn't about making money at all, it was about putting pressure on the G8.

G8 did promise to increase aid and cut debt, but i dont know when the at is starting.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
FredT
I agree with you, it's not pretty, but that's the situation. There's also the sisyphus factor to consider. Unless something fundamental changes, that part of the world will always have the same exact problems, disease, drought, famine, and war. Does it make any sense to continuously pour money and resources into sustaining an unsustainable situation?

I'm not sure honestly. It might be a better idea to sponsor the relocation of everyone who's willing, and simply write off the rest as eventual casualties of their own bad judgement. If I was born in that part of the world, I would start walking as soon as the umbilical cord was cut. I'd walk North, and wouldn't stop until it got cold again. That's what our ancient ancestors did, and it worked out pretty well for them.

Seekerof
I imagine they'll be disbursed next month, after Bono and the other schlubs free up time in their schedule for a photo-op with the giant check.
They could still be cutting it up too, paying all the workers, contractors, etc..

Besides, I heard the whole thing was kind of a flop, poor attendance, poor enthusiasm, poor planning and poor execution. The televised broadcast on MTV was all but unwatchable from what I've heard.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Souljah, you have issues, and I mean issues, you need to get resolved.
Have you ever thought for one minute in your quest for world revolution that these African governments are allowing these famines to kill hundreds of thousands? Yes, I said "ALLOW."

How much more do you want the West or civilizwed world to do?
Hmm, let me see here:
* we have a Forgive Africa its Debt initiative going by Blair and others.
* we have Western performers doing massive performances to gather tens of millions of freely donated contirbutions. Do you see the Arab League doing anything to help Africa? Do you see China or Russia doing anything to help Africa?
* The Western governments give hundreds of millions to helps these humanitarian situations that crop up 2-5 times a year in Africa.

Are you blind or something? Hello!? Where and when are these African governments going to take some responsibility and try to deal with these matters instead of seeking multi-million dollar handouts so they can take their cut and put into a Swiss Bank account?
When will these African governments start being held accountable, instead of folks like you, continually blaming the supposed lack of help from the West?

You make no sense at all. :shk:

seekerof

[edit on 20-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The tragedy of the situation is that even if they do get food, the wasting and malnutrition of the developing bodies of the suffering children will only continue to create problems as they mature to adulthood…if they can even make it that long....

For those of you who have worked in the restaurant industry, you've seen the amount of food simply thrown away...for whatever reason....And being sensitive to such an issue, it really becomes more than just a loss of money - More than just the smell can cause your stomach to do barrel-rolls when one pauses to reflect on situations such as the one presently being discussed in Niger...

Add to this equation the use of powered baby formulas and non-potable water being substituted for breast milk....

It's a very tragic situation.....If nothing else, it strengthens my resolve to volunteer for the Peace Corps....But much more action than even they can provide is going to required to even try to begin dealing with this issue....

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Live 8 really produced no funds for Africa. It actually cost money to put on. The event may have persuaded Bush and Blair to meet with Bono and Geldoff at the G8 summit to get funding established, but it gave not a single penny to African Aid beyond the Meager donations taken from the crowds at the event. It was a feel good thing, that's all.

Where is the next Famine? Revolution? Genocide? It will be from Africa.

My opinion on African Aid? Give them the Jubilee that everyone clamors for. Forgive all African debt. It's not worth it for the western world, and it's something all activists hang over our heads. Once the debt is gone, let the individual African countries work out new trade and debt structures. If they are legitimate political structures they will prosper, given vast environmental and workforce resources. If they are corrupt governements, we will see this same problem in 20 years.

The real African scourge is not AIDS, it is not Debt, it is not Exploitation.

It is corruption, it is subjugation of the masses by illegitimate governments. It is evil men doing evil while good men stand around and do nothing.

Without cultural change, Africa will always be Africa.

[edit on 7/20/2005 by soulforge]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
A Story from Africa:

Every day, vast Russian planes arrive in Mwanza airport in the north west of the Tanzania, leaving with a daily cargo of 500 tons of Nile perch destined for the Russian and European markets. What these planes carry on their way into Africa is a mystery that nobody wants to talk about, until a solitary, subdued pilot admits that he flies tanks and other weapons into Angola. That's where the real money lies. The fish are simply a bonus that fill up the planes on the flight back to Europe.

The cruellest irony is that while so much fish is exported to Europe, Tanzania itself is struggling to avoid famine, so a secondary industry has grown up drying and roasting the decayed, discarded fish carcasses, salvaging what nourishment remains. How much blame can be pinned on the fishing industry and how much should more properly be attributed to Africa's wider problems is open to question, but this is a desperately sad story, told by people who accept their plight with astonishing serenity.

West Gets Richer.

Africans Get Poorer.

Who Wins - Who Looses?

Signing away a couple of Millions of Dollars of Debt will NOT so simply SOLVE the Problem that has been in Africa for Decades.

And YES, the West is Responsible for MOST of Africa's Problems - and the LEAST it could to, is to Help without any Hesitation to these People that NEED this Help the Most.

But HEY - they are "Just Africans" Right?

[edit on 20/7/05 by Souljah]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   

And YES, the West is Responsible for MOST of Africa's Problems...

You can't be serious, I mean, really? Can the West also be blamed for last years tsunami? Could the real problem be that they are having too many kids that their ecosystem can't handle?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The west is no more responsible for all or most of Africa's problems than Africa is responsible for the West's problems.

Utter nonsense.

People have been dying in droves in that part of the world since the rift opened and started killing the jungles. The smartest and strongest fled the country, and migrated north.

Those who stay behind suffer to this day.

Africa is a blasted continent, and it sure as hell isn't the fault of the West.

Unless of course we're responsible for locusts and droughts too.

C'mon dude, you can't die on every hill...

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Nile perch would not be leaving for Russia and Europe if someone was not getting paid for taking them. Russia is not taking these resources for free at the point of a gun.

Follow the money.

SOMEONE "in-country" is getting rich off of actions such as this, and I bet it is HIGH in the government. Once Africans learn to stop this, through election or revolution, they can start solving their own problems.

Certainly, If Americans thought they were so blatently being exploited, there would be civil war breaking out. As it is, guns are cheaper to get and easier to get in Africa than in the US. If their governments are exploiting them, revolt.

[edit on 7/20/2005 by soulforge]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

as posted by Souljah
But HEY - they are "Just Africans" Right?

I certainly hope, for your sake, that the above quoted mention was not made with racial undertones, Souljah.

Tell you what, till you want to talk with some sense: Talk to the Hand.

seekerof

[edit on 20-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Africa's Problems:

WAR - If the West Wanted to, they could stop or prevent Most of the Civil Wars that have been Tearing this continent apart from WWII - but they dont want to.

DISEASE - If the West Wanted to, they could stop or prevent Most of the Diseases that have been Killing the population of this continent - but they dont want to.

FAMINE - If the West Wanted to, they could Feed ALL the Hungry Mouths of this Continent - but they dont want to.

Why?

Pretty Simple - Because these Actions will NOT make their Stocks any Higher, and they will NOT make any Money out of it.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by soulforge
SOMEONE "in-country" is getting rich off of actions such as this, and I bet it is HIGH in the government. Once Africans learn to stop this, through election or revolution, they can start solving their own problems.

The OWNER of the Fishing and Distributing Company was a WHITE MAN, from Europe.

And HE is the one that made Money - not the People of Tanzania.

They starve, but their MAIN Export Article is FISH.

SICKENING!

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Countries control their own resources. Period.

If Tanzanians are not making money off of this enterprise, then they are fools, pure and simple. If no one is making money from this, break out the Tanzanian army and blockade the Airport. No one in the world will argue with that decision.

Nope, that won't happen. Someone is getting a little kickback from the Russian company. Africans are starving Africans, while making millions collecting the kickbacks from the west as the fish fly out of the country.

Stop the corruption and things will get better. Stopping the planes will only increase the fish population, not feed the masses.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Stop the corruption and things will get better. Stopping the planes will only increase the fish population, not feed the masses.

Exactly, you can only throw money at these problems for so long. Graft is way of life in many countries and billions in well meaning aid is syphoned off by AFRICANS.

Souljah Please stop trying to play the race card here :shk:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   

The real African scourge is not AIDS, it is not Debt, it is not Exploitation.

It is corruption, it is subjugation of the masses by illegitimate governments. It is evil men doing evil while good men stand around and do nothing.

Hear, Hear. Well said soulforge. Most of these problems are homemade and can be solved by the regional & local govts.. I think it's tragic what is happening on a continual basis in Africa, but I read about what is going on over there and the story of this coup or that uprising, etc. has gotten old.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join